“Great Hotel!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Howell, Michigan
“Great Hotel!”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is beautiful. The staff is amazing, we were in the concierge suite and it was huge! When you walk in you walk down this hallway (yes, in the room) and straight ahead is a bathroom and to the left is the livingroom area. Couch, Chair, Table and four chairs with the table (which does not feel crammed), a full mini bar and ALSO an empty fridge just in case you have food or beer in our case to keep cold without worrying about the minibar. The bedroom was very spacious with a blackout window so when the sun rises in the am you are not blinded by the bright light, t.v in both the livingroom and bedroom as well as the bathroom! The bathroom had a deep tub which the t.v was hanging on the wall. Double sink bathroom and the shower and toilet are side by side by both seperated and have doors to both, the shower has mulitple shower heads which was neat. I am very satisifed with our stay and will stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
chicago,illinnois
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We really enjoyed our anniversary night downtown Detroit. We were there for a wedding and wanted to be in the center of the city. The room was beautiful and I really enjoyed the shower and bathroom area. There were drinks, ( coffee and tea ) in the greeting area of the hotel. Everyone was very helpful. My husband enjoyed the spa and had a massage as I played in the casino before our function. We had drinks in the nearby Sports Bar and enjoyed that. We also had a wonderful room service breakfast as we lounged around the next day. They were kind enough to give us a later check out. The hotel is right in the middle of everything and a good place to stay if you are going to Detroit.

Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My brother and I recently stayed at the MGM Detroit the night before we ran the local Marathon. The hotel was beautiful! The room had a couple of tiny issues that were promptly resolved by Toraine at the front desk, and the rest of the service was as good as I've ever had. The downfall we experienced was when we were looking for a high quality meal to have the night before our big race, the only options were a sports bar and a buffet as the other restaurants were being renovated. We settled on the buffet and were very disappointed by the lack of choices we had with regards to a healthy pre-race meal. We were looking for meal like a simple pasta dish which was not available. The one thing I've always been able to count on at casino's is their high quality food, which we didn't have access to during this visit. Since the hotel did offer a special rate for marathoners, perhaps they can consider the specific needs of runners for next years race, which I would like to stay at the MGM again - given proper meal choices, of course.

Room Tip: If your meals are important to you, make sure the restaurants are done their renovations before comm...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Doroots
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was here on a business trip. Personally I don't like casions or cigarette smoke so I can't say I was fascinated with this aspect of the hotel. However, if you're into this kind of stuff, this is definitely a good place for you (in the Detroit area).

The TAP sportsbar is really nice.
The spa,pool and gym are top-notch!
The rooms are spacious and clean.
Service here is really good.

It's a little annoying that you have to go through the casino if you want to get food (exception is the TAP bar). The breakfast place was pretty average.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The location was perfect, as I had tickets for the Yankees-Tigers series. It was a short trip to Comerica Park. The Staff were very courteous and met all of our accommodations.

Everything you would expect from the MGM Grand and it was worth the money spent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

I was pleased with the friendly attitude of each team member I encountered during my stay. The room was spacious and clean. If you prefer a bathtub vs the over sized shower you are out if luck. The pool and spa area was very nice. The pool was a bit chilly so if you don't like cold water skip this experience. The casino part of the hotel made me feel like I was sitting in the middle of an ashtray. It was VERY smoky. The price was average for this type of hotel. Excellent location to watch a Tigers or Lions game. I would definitely recommend this hotel to people heading to downtown Detroit.

• Stayed September 2012
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Having stayed at MGM Grand in the past without any problems, my husband and I were looking forward to staying overnight Labor Day weekend. It was my 50th birthday celebration. We arrived around 2pm and were told our room was not ready-no problem since we were a little early. We were told that the hotel had been full the night before and it was taking a little longer to get the room ready. We had a nice brunch and went back around 3:15, room still not available. We had reserved an Executive King and now were told that there is only one of this room type on each floor but when the next room was available we would be notified by phone (I gave my cell number). No call by 4:30, so checked and the room was still not available. Toraine, the front desk representative, sensed our frustration. She went above and beyond by doing little things, like getting us access to the concierge level, a room credit, and late check out. Toraine really tried to help us short of cleaning the room herself! No call by 6pm, checked and the room was still not available-4 hours after we arrived. Finally got into the room at 6:45. Unfortunately, we also had trouble getting our luggage delivered. After an hour and two phone calls, my husband went down to the bell captain desk to inquire. He was taken to a back room where our luggage was on a cart and was then brought up to our room. We could finally relax-6 hours after we arrived. I agree with other travelers that the room was fabulous and otherwise good service. Hopefully this was a rare occurance.

2 Thank KNem0