“Not so good of an experience”
Review of MGM Grand Detroit

MGM Grand Detroit
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersSilver level
Troy, Michigan
“Not so good of an experience”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Having stayed at MGM Grand in the past without any problems, my husband and I were looking forward to staying overnight Labor Day weekend. It was my 50th birthday celebration. We arrived around 2pm and were told our room was not ready-no problem since we were a little early. We were told that the hotel had been full the night before and it was taking a little longer to get the room ready. We had a nice brunch and went back around 3:15, room still not available. We had reserved an Executive King and now were told that there is only one of this room type on each floor but when the next room was available we would be notified by phone (I gave my cell number). No call by 4:30, so checked and the room was still not available. Toraine, the front desk representative, sensed our frustration. She went above and beyond by doing little things, like getting us access to the concierge level, a room credit, and late check out. Toraine really tried to help us short of cleaning the room herself! No call by 6pm, checked and the room was still not available-4 hours after we arrived. Finally got into the room at 6:45. Unfortunately, we also had trouble getting our luggage delivered. After an hour and two phone calls, my husband went down to the bell captain desk to inquire. He was taken to a back room where our luggage was on a cart and was then brought up to our room. We could finally relax-6 hours after we arrived. I agree with other travelers that the room was fabulous and otherwise good service. Hopefully this was a rare occurance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KNem0

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Just got back from a stay at this hotel. Room was fabulous - bed linens luxurious, bathroom was incredible with walk in shower with double shower heads. We had a CD/DVD player in our room (unlike previous from another reviewer). Flat screen in bathroom as well! Hotel was spotless throughout and the casino staff were constantly tidying up. The staff throughout the hotel were amazing. Every staff member we passed smiled and said hello and wished us a nice stay. The concierge service was great, free valet parking with no waiting for our car upon checkout. Had a great dinner at the Saltwater. Check in and out was very quick. Only complaint was my husband thought the luxurious king bed was too soft! It was like sleeping on a cloud to me! We will definitely go back again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed August 30, 2012

service, quality and ambiance for this hotel stay was delightful. we were extremely impressed with the the concierge service offered. The only criticism was no dvd or cd player in the room, this would have been nice feature to add along with all the other great amenities.

Overall the room was clean and the staff was helpful and attended quickly with any request.

Room Tip: spacious 750 sq ft room is perfect with lots of room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Loved the MGM Grand! My husband and I spent one night for a stay cation. The experience was incredible! The staff is very accommodating and service is top notch. The decor is modern and edgy. The rooms were so quiet, even being located directly across from the elevator! The smoke is only noticable in the casino itself, not in the hotel, but even the best ventilation systems cant completely purify the air. I remembered the same smell in Vegas. The "clear" was nice and smoke free. I wish it were larger. The pool and hot tub are amazing and you know you are at a real spa. I was so relaxed...could have stayed all day. My only complaint is that the pool was cold...too cold for me to swim in. All in all, a world class hotel!

Room Tip: Our room was right across from the elevator so I was nervous it would be loud. We didn't hear a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Most middle America casinos lack the Vegas flair. The MGM Grand Detroit is a Las Vegas style casino in the middle of the country. The service at this hotel is better than most Vegas hotels and the people are pretty friendly. The casino size is big and there are numerous choices to dine at.

My room was very clean and the bedding was excellent.

I would stay here again for personal trips as well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Greenville, Ohio
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Been to MGM Las Vegas several times and let me tell you I like this one way better, Staff is very friendly and helpful and the casino is very clean.MGM in Las Vegas are so rude. I even won so thats a plus. We all enjoyed our visit and will be back. I dont know about the rooms because we never stayed overnight.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed at the MGM in March while we were in town for a sporting event. The room was clean and spacious. The staff in the lobby were very professional and helpful. We briefly visited the Casino on a Saturday night; it definitely had a different "vibe" than a moderate-to-upscale Vegas casino. Should we visit Detroit again we would certainly stay here; we are pretty sure it's the nicest place in town.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple