“AMAZING STAY!!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toledo, Ohio
“AMAZING STAY!!!!”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

The MGM is top notch quality service! The room was AMAZING.... Very very clean! The shower is the best there is. The only complaint I have, which is not fault of the hotel were some party-goers that decided to bring the club back to their room at 2am. Security responded promptly and the issue was resolved. I highly recommend the MGM!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Polish first
Brentwood, TN
Reviewed April 27, 2012 via mobile

Detroit is clearly struggling, but the MGM is a nice oasis in downtown. Started off with a legion of valets in front and the front desk person could not have been nicer. This is a casino, and I only walked through so can't comment on the gaming. Suffice to say it does not attract the high roller crowd, given its in downtown Detroit. The room was fine -- big and roommy, but you will see it could be a room like any other in terms of the layout. It's no Vegas Bellagio or Encore. But it is certainly adequate with many nice amenities. They really try to make it upscale and to a degree it works. It reminded me of an off the strip hotel in Vegas like the nugget or hard rock. I'll go back if in Motor City again. I would probably choosenitnovernthe Marriot in the Ren Cen down the street just because it's newer and fresher.

Stayed April 2012
Ohio
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This was our first time staying at MGM Grand Detroit. We made the mistake of parking in the self-park garage and lugging our bags to the casino entrance. We were greeted and told that it would be safer and more convenient to go back to our car and drive around to the hotel side and valet our vehicle. This was a smart move! We were greeted by friendly valets who were quick to offer assistance. Check in was quick and easy.
The hotel is accessed thru guarded glass doors (must show room key to prove you are a hotel guest) and enters into a very cozy, large fire place lit, lounge. Concierge service and complimentary coffee and tea are available in this area as well. 4 elevators take you to one of 16 floors, or the concierge level floor, or the penthouse floor. Our room was standard, but we were very pleased with the quality. It was spacious and modern. The room included a large bed, sofa, end tables, night stands, tv, mini bar, and large closet. Room lighting was adjustable to 5 different settings (although we found the small lights next to the bed difficult to use). The bathroom was very nicely appointed. Two sinks with ample counter space, a water closet (enclosed toilet area), and very large walk in shower with two shower heads made this a bathroom I'd be happy to have in my own home. Live bamboo plants decorated the countertops. Slight party noise was heard thru a vent until almost midnight, but then quieted down.
We requested transfer service to the GM building for dinner at Coach Insignia, but encountered a problem waiting the phone to be answered and then for the concierge to return our phone calls. By the time we decided to go to the concierge desk ourself, the "cars" were all being used to transport guests to a baseball game. We were almost late for our reservation and ended up just grabbing a taxi in front of the hotel (albiet with friendly help from the doorman/valet)
We also utilized the casino and found it to be what we expected. The smoke didn't seem to be too bad during the afternoon and early evening hours, but by late evening, it really got worse. We were surprised by the slots consisting of mostly penny and nickle machines. We had to ask where the high roller area was in order to find it (not marked). The drink service was almost non-existant, so we had to be satisfied with the 2 self serve fountain areas that we found.
Overall, we were pleased with our stay and will be returning.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Busymombjh
plymouth, michigan
Reviewed April 22, 2012

A group of us (9 forty-something friends) went to the Immerse Spa at the MGM Grand Detroit for the day, and we rented 2 rooms for that Saturday night. I have mixed feelings about the whole experience...

The day before our stay I received a call saying we'd be receiving a suite since the locker room was going to be crowded that day. That was a very nice bonus since we could have food/drink in the room (outside food is allowed poolside.)

The spa is gorgeous - we were here 2 years ago for the day (no hotel rooms) and loved it then too. The massages are outstanding, the pool area is gorgeous, even the hallways are beautiful and serene. Since we booked our spa services as a group, a limo ride was included with our package. But...the limo never showed up at our Detroit suburb location (30 min drive) and by the time I called to inquire about where it was, we were cutting it dangerously close to our spa appointments. We ended up driving 2 cars into the city (such a huge disappointment - half of the spa fun was the limo ride!!) They barely apologized for this, and as a "sorry for your troubles" gesture, they gave us 9 bottles of used nail polish in our room. ??? Yuck.

All in all though, a great day at the spa...despite being bummed about the limo. We mentioned our limo snafu at the front desk and asked them if we could get a limo ride to Mexican village for dinner - about a 10 min ride. So we were happy about that. However, the customer service wasn't anything to write home about. Nobody seemed overly concerned about this glaring lack of service.

When we returned from dinner at 11 pm, the otherwise calm & not-very-crowded casino/hotel lobby had turned into the biggest freak show I've ever seen. We apparently didn't get the memo to bring our spandex, sequins, and 3" skirts. The trashy women (young, old, beautiful, hideous) and their cleavage were everywhere...and at least half of the "clientele" (I use that term loosely) was absolutely wasted. Others in the casino: hillbillies wearing jeans and tshirts, elderly people with oxygen tanks/walkers at the slot machines, ganstas & hip hop thugs with their pants hanging, and most likely ladies of the evening. It was absolutely crazy town. Lots of bachelor parties, bachelorette parties, 21st birthdays, etc.

So we decided to sit in the hotel lobby for the next TWO hours people watching in the hotel lobby by the beautiful 100 ft long fireplace. It was the most I've laughed/cried in a long time. One guy ran right into a plant, someone fell on a couch near us, men were feeling girls up, people were weaving across the floor instead of walking, and I saw more stilettos than I've seen in my life. We had to wonder, how are these trashy people able to afford the rooms? You had to show a hotel card key to get into that particular lobby at that hour.

I'd describe it as Kardashian-trashy...Vegas wanna-bes. I'm no prude...we had drinks most of the day, but what we saw was beyond crazy. Highly recommend the Sat. night people watching if you want some good laugh therapy.

PS Oh yeah, the hotel rooms were gorgeous (and smoke-free). The casino itself is a giant ashtray. Stick to the hotel lobby for people-watching. :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank amyg68
Michigan
Reviewed April 18, 2012

This is Vegas in Detroit! Too bad smoking is allowed. The vibe is good, the restaurants are tasty and the payouts are real. I would only go here but I can't stand all the smoke. It's still my favorite for a night out but won't stay for too long because I don't like the post visit ashtray feel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Bronx, New York
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I love going to MGM when I want to gamble. The staff is nice, the atmosphere is relaxed and nice.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This was my second time at the MGM Grand. I stayed one night a couple of years ago on a personal trip so when I heard we were staying there for a business trip I was really looking forward to it. The rooms are very nice and clean. The bathroom was big with an enclosed toilet, large walk-in shower and a TV in the mirror. The bed was very comfortable.

The hotel itself is very nice and upscale. I have to admit I wasn't expecting this in Detroit. I can't remember the name of the restaurant where we ate but it is in the hotel and the food was very good. My only complaint is that it is right next to the casino which allows smoking. Coming from a city where smoking is banned in public places it caught me off guard since I'm not use to it. I hate the smell of smoke so it did add a little discomfort to our dinner. If you are a nonsmoker like me and you are just looking for a place to stay and don't care so much about the casino then the MGM Grand is a great choice. If you are a nonsmoker but looking to enjoy the casino this is not the place for you.

Overall I enjoyed my stay. It's a good value and I'd stay there again....I'd just avoid the casino :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business