“Best Casino/Hotel outside of Vegas!”
Review of MGM Grand Detroit

MGM Grand Detroit
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland
“Best Casino/Hotel outside of Vegas!”
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We stayed one night. From the moment we arrived (the vallet) to the time we left we were treated like VIP's! The rooms are small but REALLY nice! My only two issues would be: 1. Unless you are there for the weekend more than half of the bars/dining options are CLOSED? 2. The "comps" for gaming are awful! We had $4,500 in play over a 10-hour span that got us a total of $22 in "comps"??? Anyway, EVERYTHING else is amazing and would say this is THE best hotel/casino, aside from Vegas.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank BVHBB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
Massachusetts
Reviewed May 21, 2011

A friend and I stayed in a Luxury Corner Suite for one night back in November 2010. He had stayed at the MGM before; this was my first time at an MGM. We decided to go for the bigger room just for a special night out. The cost was ~$550. Since you can't take it with you, I decided to leave some of it in Detroit.

Valet service was prompt when we arrived at the hotel; parking was free. We were able to check in early (ALWAYS a plus in my book!). The gentleman at the front desk was pleasant and helpful. The lobby separates the hotel (on the left) from the casino/restaurants (on the right). There is someone that has to let you into the hotel area.

As for the room, it was beautiful. Huge king sized bed, sitting area which was comfortable, 2 large flat-screen TVs. The bathroom was also huge. In addition to the shower, there is a deep whirlpool soaking tub. To let you know how deep it is, I am over 6 feet tall, and when I laid my arms on the edges of the tub, my elbows were over my shoulders.

We found the hotel to be quiet. It may be due to us being at the end of the hall. We don't even know if we had neighbors next to us or across from us.

As for dining, we had lunch and breakfast the following morning in the Palette Dining Studio, which has a huge buffet. The food was good, but as I always find with buffets, they are a little overpriced since I am not a huge eater. I don't remember the price, but I think it was over $20 per person for lunch. We had dinner at Wolfgang Puck's, which was very good.

One concern of mine in staying at a casino is the smoking. The Dining Studio is located in the casino; Wolfgang Puck's is between the lobby and the casino (but it is open to the casino). Although you could faintly smell the smoke, the exhaust system must be so huge, I did not have the smell of it on me or my clothes/luggage.

Check out was quick and easy.

I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ditcali
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2011

The MGM Grand Hotel is an absolute gem; spectacular rooms, exceptional service, and staff that exceed your every expectation.

The problem is that all the amenities, restaurant, nightclub, sushi bar and of course even the non-smoking gaming areas of the casino, require you to walk through what can only be described as a SMOKE GAUNTLET. Our dilligent attempts to avoid the smoke at all costs (I have asthma) were futile; our clothes reeked so bad that we had to put them in a plastic bag to take home and launder because the smell of them was over-powering our hotel room.

There is no way to get to the restaurants or even get a coffee at the on-site Starbucks without exposure to second-hand smoke in epic proportion. I had an asthma attack on our way back to the hotel after our dinner.

It is really sad because the hotel is stunning and we really enjoyed it but simply could not even consider returning until the casino area comes to their senses and goes smoke-free.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank eightfoldpath
Rockford, Michigan
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Designed much like a higher end LasVegas hotel, this hotel has some glamour going for it. It's a nice hotel, beautiful rooms.... but extremely pricey. We stayed here 3 years ago for a weekend getaway and it was beautiful. We noticed with this trip that the furnishings are beginning to show their wear, and though the rooms are still beautiful $300+/night doesn't quite fit.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Betsy H
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed March 26, 2011

This hotel is great. From the casino,great rooms and restaurant selections there is no reason to leave. But if you do leave the hotel they offer free limo service. This hotel gives you the VIP treatment all the way. They have great/friendly customer service and they are willing to do anything to make your stay enjoyable. I actually like this MGM better than the one in Vegas . The rooms are spacious and clean. I am definitely staying here again. The cast of the tv show 187 stay here & the production people of transformers 3.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Walbridge, Ohio
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Where do I start with how the entire experience went?!?!? Besides the fact the hotel is upscale and first class as well as the entire staff from the valets to receptionist to the security guards who were extremely professional and courteous I couldnt have been happier with the ENTIRE experience. Get the player club package where you get $100 free in gambling money. We turned the $100 in to $1000 when we hit a royal flush on video poker. With the extra money we got an extra night at the hotel. It was basically paying our whole weekend.

Also the spa is out of this world and the restaurants are to die for.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed March 10, 2011

We've stayed here several times and just can't get enough! We love the size of the rooms and the plush decor! We've stayed in the smaller rooms and the corner suites....they were simply perfect! The corner suite was huge....very spacious and lots of windows. Definitely worth the money! We love what the hotel has to offer and always feel like we're really "getting away" when we stay the night. We were also very impressed with the security as well as the customer service.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple