“Part of what makes Detroit a place to go!”
Review of Detroit Vegan Soul

Detroit Vegan Soul
Ranked #67 of 1,145 Restaurants in Detroit
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: *No reservations after 3pm on Fridays & Saturdays and all day Sundays. Carryout orders accepted over the phone up until 15 minutes before closing.No large groups.We are a small, intimate space and cannot guarantee seating for groups over 6. At Detroit Vegan Soul, you can enjoy your favorite comfort foods with confidence that the ingredients are fresh, mostly organic, and completely plant-based. We have several soy free and gluten-free options (we have a dedicated gluten-free fryer). Our menu is prepared without GMOs, additives, preservatives, refined flours, sugars, dairy, eggs or animal by products and with LOTS OF LOVE!
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I grew up in the Detroit burbs. My dad's family immigrated to Detroit in the 30's. I have always liked Detroit. Now I love Detroit!

Last week I was in Ann Arbor and after hearing of this place I couldn't resist. An hour trip plus it was rush our time, so I thought I'd call. One of the owners answered and after a couple of minutes with her there was no choice but to go. She was friendly and I loved her personality.

I am ecstatic that I was able to go. As a vegan blogger I have done many restaurant reviews. This one will be a pleasure to write in every way.

I started with the Collard Green Spring Rolls. They were delish. I also wanted to try the Southern Fried Tofu Bites but didn't want to over do it. Next time.

The Soul Platter was recommended and I am so glad. I honestly loved every bite. The glazed yams totally melted in my mouth. And who doesn't love amazingly prepared mac n cheese!

I know many folks like cornbread when it is harder. I prefer the softer texture. The flavor was spot on.

In all of my reviews I focus on two things: delish vegan food and hospitable service. The service here met all of my very high expectations. I felt welcome and I felt like the staff was glad I was there.

Go. Even if you don't live close, go. You will not regret time spent at Detroit Vegan Soul. I can't wait to go back!

Kirsten U, Owner at Detroit Vegan Soul, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Thank you, Dan, for your kind review! We're so appreciative for your patronage- especially after such a long drive. We pride ourselves on providing good quality vegan soul food with the hospitality to match- so it's great to hear that you were pleased with all we have to offer! We hope to see you again, soon!

Best,

Kirsten & Erika

Reviewed August 11, 2014

I adopted a vegan diet nearly 18 months ago and I have struggled to find great restaurants around the country that serve really good vegan cuisine with flavor. LOOK NO FURTHER! This gem on the East side of Detroit serves up incredible food that will satisfy every palate - vegan or not. I received a warm greeting when I arrived and noticed the staff were actively taking care of the place - cleaning, cooking, greeting customers etc. Lots of positive energy. The server was incredibly helpful and directed me to some great choices. I had the tofu "catfish", black-eyed peas and rice, collard greens, and potato salad with a hibiscus tea. For doubting carnivores, I can tell you it was better than any real catfish I've ever had. The food was really good and really good for you. I've dined all over the globe and DVS hit the mark: GREAT SERVICE, INCREDIBLE FOOD, and SOUL! I was honored to meet Kirsten, one of the co-owners, and I talked with her a bit about how great the food was. If you visit Detroit and want some epic, healthy soul food - this is a must visit. I will return each and every time I visit Detroit. I tip my hat to Kirsten and her crew - they are what is right about Detroit. GO THERE - EAT - SMILE. Next time I'm there, I hope to spend more time talking with Erika and her partner Kirsten about their recipes. Still trying to figure out how that tofu tastes just like catfish. Street parking was easy. For out-of-towners...make the trip a few miles from downtown - you can thank me later.

Kirsten U, Owner at Detroit Vegan Soul, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Thank you so much for the kind review! It was a pleasure meeting you as well, and I'm thrilled to hear that your experience was pleasant. Thank you for your patronage and we hope to see you next time you're in Detroit!

Best,

Kirsten

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Good food. Pleasant atmosphere, with a modern look.

Loved the combination dishes, where you have sweet and savory vegetables. Some options "taste like meet" even though it is completely vegan.

Fruit smoothies are very good.

Place is kind of small: arrive early for lunch or you may have to wait.

Also liked the technology: iPad-based bill and signature - Cool!

Reviewed May 18, 2014

I'm not a vegan or even vegetarian, but there wasn't much to choose from when in the West Village area for lunch so this is where we stopped. Both my carnivorous son and I enjoyed this lunch.

1  Thank Viruten
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Who knew these cozy little place could pack such a big punch. Speaking of punch, the hibiscus punch had a refreshing taste without being too sweet. I really loved the collard green spring rolls. They were light and full of flavor. The spinach lasagna was good but the side salad fell a little flat for me. I also shared the smothered tempeh which was very good and the potatoes especially had great flavor. To end the meal I had the green tea cupcake that I highly recommend. Light, fluffy and just a hint of citrus made it the special finish to a wonderful meal.