“Vintage German restaurant with wonderful decor/entertainment!”

Dakota Inn Rathskeller
Ranked #10 of 77 Nightlife in Detroit
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My family and I went here during Christmas week, 2013. We tried to get a dinner reservation (sometime between 5-8) on a Saturday, but was told on the phone that they are totally booked uip until at least 9. We showed up at 9 for dinner and the place was barely 1/2 full. Perhaps the crowds had just left. The decor/archictechture are classic Germany and you feel like you are in a Munich restaurant. There is a piano player who entertained with Christmas songs and was very good (sing along). The only negative I can offer are the food prices/serving sizes. My wife and I ordered a Bratwurst plate (brat and potato salad) and a large order or potato pancakes. We also ordered a cheese plate appetizer. The prices, in above order, were $11, 7 and 5. The cheese plate was a few cuts of a very good smoked cheese, a little summer sausage and some "Rold Gold" pretzel rings straight out of the bag. While the cheese and sausage were very good, why can't a German restaurant serve REAL homemade pretzels? That is a very common thing to find in Germany. Serving pretzels out of a bag is silly. the potato pancakes were the best part of the meal and well worth the money: delicious. The brat plate was one medium sized brat (no bun, no bread) with some German potato salad and cole slaw. The portions were VERY small. The potato salad was good, the cole slaw average and the brat was so-so. While I would probably go back to this restaurant, they can do better here.

1  Thank Mbroad58