“Authentic Gyros”

Golden Fleece Restaurant
Ranked #84 of 1,098 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Munising, Michigan
“Authentic Gyros”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Had supper while in Greektown and decided to try this restaurant for a change. The gyros meat was authentic freshly sliced and very good. The service was excellent. The place is a little hole in the wall diner style. My wife, son and daughter in law enjoyed their meal very much and all agreed to visit this place again.

• Visited September 2013

Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
“In the heart of Greektown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

There are a dozen Greek restaurants, and dozens more sports bars, near the Greektown Casino. Most of them post their menus outside, which is helpful. I chose this restaurant because I had a craving for a Greek salad, and the one listed on the menu at the Golden Fleece was reasonable.
The restaurant is very small and cozy, pleasantly crowded on a Saturday night, but I didn't have to wait for a table.
My waiter was kind of pushy and tried to bully me a little about what to order. Then I asked for a local beer, and he told me the Golden Fleece didn't have any. But a waitress overheard the exchange, came to my rescue, and said yes, Strohs had a summer beer that I might like.
The beer was delicious. I had ordered some lamb to be put on my salad, and the portion was very generous -- and tasty.
My waiter never came around to ask about the meal, nor to refill my water glass. Not sure why he took such a dislike to me, LOL, but once again the waitress was my champion. She even called me "dear", which is enough to make me return to any restaurant!

• Visited July 2013
Macomb, MI
“Basic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

This restaurant is a basic family style greek restaurant. Nothing wrong with it, but it is just basic.

Visited June 2013
Perry, Michigan
“Whole In The Wall”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I had been told it was quite the whole in the wall but that the food was great. Unfortunately, this was not my experience at all. The food was not even average and the service was poor. I would pass this one on by and choose the next Greek restaurant on the block.

• Visited July 2013
Weedsport, New York
“Get a Great Gyro”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

The Golden Fleece is a real Greek restaurant in the middle of Detroit’s Greektown. Where else? This place has great gyros that I understand are among the best in the city. Nothing fancy here, just large servings of great food at a price that is very affordable.

Visited June 2013