“Nice change from the "norm"!”

Golden Fleece Restaurant
Ranked #81 of 1,115 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: American, Greek
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Hermann, Missouri
“Nice change from the "norm"!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Our server was very good! He started off our evening with the Flaming Cheese! The atmosphere is very casual, with the kitchen in full view of the seating. Several of us at our table had the Lamb Shank special - very flavorful! Salad was crisp and fresh. Would definitely go back.

• Visited March 2013

Houston
“Great Food and Good Value”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Was in Detroit for a quick biz trip and happened upon this place. Not fancy, but a lot of repeat locals there. Had a gyro and it was HUGE. Lots of onions, grilled tomatoes, all very fresh. A couple of other tables ordered the Flaming Cheese and it looked awesome. Reasonable prices. Would definitely go back.

I heard the waiter talking to some regular customers that they were redoing the roof bar area (rainy and cold when I was there, so I didn't see it) and that it will be open May-September and have live music.

• Visited February 2013
Michigan
“Decent but could be much better!!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I want to start by saying I have been going to Greektown for over 20 years and REALLY wanted to give the Fleece more stars but just couldn't for multiple reasons. Remember a 3 star is "A-OK" and is not bad!!! I was released from jury duty early so hit Golden Fleece for lunch. It was 1pm and there was only 2 other people inside. Hmm...interesting! The inside is cluttered and needs some cleaning. They do have a lot of Greek decorations, which I like, but just too much stuff everywhere. It's simple... organize and clean a little. They also serve their food on a paper plates which for this type of food just doesn't work good. I ordered the Greek Salad and Gyro sandwich. They don't have a combo so you have to order separate and was $12 plus $2.25 for a soda. They do have good bottled beer but I was driving so a no-no for me. The Greek salad was just OK. PROS: a lot of feta, beets and tomatoes were fresh, and decent size. CONS: salad was very very water. Not sure if it was the lettuce or the dressing but I had a salad soup when I got to the bottom. Also, lettuce was pure iceberg, nothing else. As for the Gyro, the Pros: HUGE, and I mean huge! Meat was tasty, tomatoes were fresh, yogurt dressing was good. Cons: the only cons I had was I asked for no onion and it had onions. If I went back I would order the Gyro and no salad. The gyro was good and definitely big enough to fill a big eater. I seem to be tough on Greektown restaurants because I believe it's such a huge part of Detroit and they sometimes become lazy because they know they will get traffic because of location. Thursday at 1pm and no Detroit lunch folks??? This is amazing to me because I know a lot of people that work down there and go out to eat almost every day. Most people flat out say "It's just not that good anymore and it's pricey". Ok I don't want to get off topic and into a Greektown discussion. LOL! Golden Fleece summary: Gyro was good, Salad was just ok, location is GREAT, inside it cluttered and needs some cleaning. Service is fast and usually not crowded.

• Visited February 2013
“Best in Detroit”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The best gyros in the city. tried a lot restaurants around The Detroit-metro area, you don't have to look any farther !!!

• Visited January 2013
Detroit, Michigan
“Great food, decent prices”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

come here all the time, always order the same thing, always tastes great, quick service, decent prices, right in the heart of greektown, full bar. i recommend their salads, opa, and chicken gyro!

• Visited December 2012