“Checker The Best in Detroit”

Checker Bar & Grill
Ranked #251 of 1,139 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Good for: Bar scene
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Great Ribs. Still the best! The spareribs are not all smoothered in sweet sauce. I like to taste the crispy meat with the hot sauce on them.

Reviewed March 15, 2010

First off, can't remember the bartenders name (I'm sorry!) but she made THE BEST Sangria I ever tasted...she did something special too it that's for sure! mmm yeahhhh....I'm craving another one now ;P (my boyfriend and I stopped in, while waiting for an appointment across the street) and the place was right off the bat, cozy, not too bright..not too dark..just right and charming!..Right up our alley...we where definitly dressed casual and felt fine..even though the guy next to us was in a suite...great drink prices, and as I noted before...awesome Sangria...The boyfriend got a Long Island and said it was perfect! Not too sweet and just enough tart! Whatever that means? Haha..he's super picky when it comes to his Long Islands, that's about all I do know and he was very happy..however we did not order any food, but bet we wilI next time..I must add...this place was one of the only Detroit FAMILY owned & operated bar left...& you can tell how much time, effort, love and hard work into keeping it up....I believe it's her and her sister who run it now. If you're looking for a relaxing atmosphere, good drinks at a good price, downtown Detroit..this is it...Thank you again for the great experience...you will see us soon!!!!

1  Thank Klynn024
Reviewed September 25, 2009

We were a little afraid when we walked in at 11:30 on a Friday and were the only ones. Place filled up later. Typical bar atmosphere. Food was really good. Specials were cabbage rolls, fresh perch the the rest had various kinds of burgers. Everyone liked. We are going back to try happy hour next time.

Reviewed April 1, 2009

This bar is exactly that...a bar. The food is sub par at best and for the prices you pay, you can get more for your money at a local coney island. If you don't believe me try it out. Take a couple of friends and buy 2-3 rounds, after you see the bill you'll understand what I mean. The kitchen closes whenever they want and so do the doors. You would be better off going to Forans around the corner or right next door to Greenwich...thats where we ended up.

1  Thank HokeyPokey16
Reviewed March 11, 2009

We've eaten there several times - this Checker's time has come & gone -- long gone! Management lost touch with the concept of quality & value. If it's mediocraty you desire, you'll find it here (if your lucky), Avoid the cole slaw - worst I've ever had. We left - for the last time - thinking "With the options available for dining in Detroit, why would anyone come here?" Kind of sad actually - I think the staff & management have been doing the same thing sooo long, thy've lost touch with the concept of "How do we deliver quality & value"? This "Best burger in the City" stuff (maybe - 20 years ago) is a sad delusion.

2  Thank KirkHand