“Great place for a business trip away”

Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This hotel was stunning to stay at. Newly reopened in July 2013, it still has a fresh look about the place.

The beds are superb, comfortable and left me well rested after long business days.

The restaurant is excellent. Arguably there is a little too much of the American way in terms of food for European travelers but on my last day, I was craving a bowel of cereal that wasn't in the buffet. The head server then appeared with a selection of cereals for me......... Top quality. Similarly I was craving hot chocolate one evening and the bar tender (Joshua) reappeared having made me one. Ask and your needs are attended too.

Hotel security is excellent. I was away with work and was conscious about my belongings and they provide an exellent key safe service to set you at ease. There is a small pool, hot tub and sauna down stairs which I used to relax one evening. It is small but well fitted and for the summer there is a bigger pool on the terrace.

It is directly opposite COBO so if you're heading there for work it is convenient.

Remember this is in Detroit so a tourist trip venue it isn't, but that is Detroit's problem, not the hotel.

I applaud this hotel. They were excellent. As a first time visitor to the USA, they made everything as easy as they could for me. Even the security manager knew me by name (and I didn't have reason to call on his services)

Well done guys!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear Andy R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. I will certainly reach out to the staff members that you mentioned and express your gratitude. I would also like to express my gratitude to you for writing such a wonderful review. Thank you again, and I look forward to your return!

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Just needed to get away with my wife for the night and we were very pleased. Pulled up to the Dior and valet was at our car immediately. The lobby, location, and staff were on point. The gentleman who checked us in upgraded us to a beautiful suite and we had an awesome view of Hart Plaza, The Detroit River, and Canada. The room was great, bed was superb, and happy hour met our needs.
The only minor issue was with the disorganization and wait with the valet as we were checking out. It was a small thing to a great stay. We will 100% return soon.

Room Tip: Ask for complimentary upgrade.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear dondada365,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am beyond pleased to hear that you and your wife were able to get away and enjoy a nice night together at our hotel. We tend to have a soft spot for people on romantic getaways and like to do our best to go above and beyond for them. Thank you for recognizing a service opportunity in the valet department for me to look in to. We had made a great deal of improvement to our valet operation lately, but are still working on making the process and availability as seamless as possible. Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay, and I look forward to your return!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

My buddy and I did a one night get away to Detroit and stayed at the Crowne Plaza. A very nice hotel with very friendly service. Location was great being right across from Hart Plaza. They gave us a room with a wonderful view of the river, Windsor and downtown. The people were all very accommodating and went out of their way to ensure our satisfaction. Detroit is one of our favorite cities and despite the bad publicity, it really is making a nice come back. May be a while yet but there is a lot of construction going on downtown with a lot of exciting new venues. We found a great restaurant about three blocks away called the Fountain Place if you're looking for a little casual, upscale dining. Wonderful service.

Room Tip: ask for riverfront view that way you get river and downtown view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear thepartyguys,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay of not only the hotel, but the city as a whole. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you have recognized Downtown Detroit for making a great come-back. Myself and the rest of the staff here could not be happier to be able to contribute to the revival of the Downtown area. I will pass your kind words on to the rest of the staff, and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

The location of Crowne Plaza is great to attend for Red Wings game. The staff are wonderful and eager to help. Valet service are very quick and polite. We enjoyed our stay and looking forward to stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Dear Randy W,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. It's our guest's reviews that help us mold our operation to it's full potential. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay, and I will make sure to pass your compliments on to the valet department. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review, and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We stayed two nights and we loved the property! From the start the front desk was very helpful and pleasant. We parked with valet( the only real downside as it's quite high at $25.00 per night) and we were afforded an upgrade to a larger room which had a lovely view. The larger rooms are right next to the elevator so anyone who is noise sensitive this may not be your best option. The bathroom was very clean and nicely stocked. The shampoo, conditioner and relaxation products smell like a man's product not to mention patchouli, not a big deal I always bring my own. The bar has a great happy hour daily from 4-6 and offers very unusual fare. The folks around the bar were fun and friendly too. I would like to see the room have a safe. The interior of the hotel is quite lovely and it is very close to a People Mover station and a few good pubs are right nearby. Elevators were quick as was the valet on Monday morning. We are looking forward to another trip to the Crowne Plaza this Saturday.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear diceandtux,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. I understand how the overnight parking fee may seem high, but the limited amount of parking available in the Finical District really limits the hotel's ability to reduce the price. However, I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed everything else about the stay. Please check out our Tabacchi gift shop next time you stay to see if you would be interested in any different bathroom amenities that better fit your liking. Next time you stay please feel free to ask for myself, as I'd love the opportunity to meet you and thank you in person for your loyalty. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review!

Reviewed April 1, 2014

This hotel is fantastic value-I booked on Expedia to attend a Red Wings game with my Dad and check-in was seamless. The staff were friendly, professional and eager to give directions and assistance. We stayed in an executive double room that was exactly as pictured on the website, very clean and with a terrific view from the 11th floor. The location of the Crowne Plaza is perfect to attend sporting events, once you exit the tunnel from Windsor you are pretty much there. Steps from the river and the Cobo Centre, within close walking distance to lots of bars and restaurants. Valet service is $25 and very fast and efficient compared to other area hotels, which is appreciated when you need to hit the road. I would definitely return and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear SarahHF,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront. I am thrilled to hear that the hotel and it's services exceeded your expectations. I am very happy to pass on your compliments to our house keeping and valet staff. Our house keepers work very hard to keep the historical landmark building extremely clean and tidy. Our valet attendants also work very hard to make sure that your vehicles are are safe and transported as quick as possible. Thank you again for taking the time to review your recent stay, and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

This was a Priceline Express Deals booking. I'm never quite sure what to expect with those, but the Crowne Plaza exceeded my expectations for a 3-star hotel. Executive King room was small, but comfortable. Very nice appointments, comfortable bed, small bathroom. It's definitely a one-person room. But the view from the 11th floor ... overlooking the river ... was fabulous. But the best part was the staff. The went out of their way to make me feel welcome and comfortable. I had two meals in the Jefferson House lobby restaurant. The lunch and dinner menus offered interesting entree options. The pork loin for dinner was delicious and the turkey reuben for lunch was quite tasty.
Great location on the river and across the street from the Cobo Center. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear efassett,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay. I could not be happier to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront. In the future, feel free to ask the front desk for any upgrade options that are available for a larger room. I'm sure that they would love to offer you a more fitting room for a very reasonable price difference. I will give your compliments to The Jefferson House staff, and I know that they'll be very happy to hear your kind words. Thank you again for taking the time to review your recent stay, and I look forward to your return.