“What an awesome hotel!!”

Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, Michigan
“What an awesome hotel!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stayed here this past weekend and have been here in the past. This hotel is really nice! The beds are really comfortable, the staff is helpful and friendly, the food is so great, and the views from your room is gorgeous. I will definitely stay here again when I come to downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear cerealfordinner_1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am beyond pleased to hear that the hotel's staff and services not only met, but exceeded your expectations. The staff here works very hard on continuing the improvement of the property and it's operations/services. I will share this review with everyone, and thank them for their services. Myself and the rest of the staff look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Polish first
Howell, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

Before arriving for my one night stay, I received a call from the manager stating he had upgraded me to the King Parlor Suite. I was very happy to receive this news. The room was amazing. One of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. It was a huge room with 2 flatscreen TV's a huge bed, pullout sofa, etc. The view was incredible at nighttime. It overlooked the Detroit River and had good views of the Ren Cen, and Caesers Canada. I would have to agree with some of the other reviews about the lack of restaurants in the area, within relative walking distance. Greektown is a short stroll down the road, but a bit too far in the winter months.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Jon D,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront Hotel. I was more than pleased to offer you that upgrade, as myself and the rest of the staff try very hard to take care of our IHG Rewards Members. It is reviews like this one that really make my day, and I'm very pleased to hear that your expectations were not only met, but exceeded. Thank you again for your wonderful review, and myself and the rest of the staff look forward to your return!
Lansing, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

We ran into several bumps during our stay at this hotel, primarily with seeming incompetence. We had difficulty making reservations with our TravelZoo vouchers until I got to speak to Justin. He definitely knew what he was doing, and he took his time to book our reservations with great care and detail. When we arrived at the hotel, there was confusion with our check-in because the person at the front desk did not appear to understand how the vouchers and the reservations worked. We also had difficulty paying our bill at the hotel bar that evening. The next morning, we woke to see that we were going to be charged (AGAIN) for our room, which we had already paid for with the voucher. When I asked the front desk staff to remove the charge, the attendant assured me that he would. This week, we saw that the charge was, indeed, on our credit card statement. I just called the hotel to have the charge removed (AGAIN), and was so blessed that I got to speak with Justin. He corrected our problem and made up for the hassle. He was very courteous, efficient, and thorough. In my opinion, the only two things that this hotel really has going for it are: the great location and JUSTIN!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jcraft26
Dear jcraft26,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I understand how billing issues can really put a damper on your travel experiences. I apologize that the front desk staff incorrectly handled your promotion billing, but I am very pleased to hear that Justin was able to rectify the situation for you. I assure you that normally our staff does not have billing issues, but sometimes a new staff member may not fully understand a promotion. Once again, I am very sorry that you had to experience said difficulties and would really appreciate the opportunity to have you stay with us again.
Watertown, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

To sum up the very long review below if you're not into all that...

1) Valet parking for $25 PER NIGHT
2) No refrigerators or microwaves in rooms
3) Liars at the front desk
4) Freezing cold pool
5) Small, but clean rooms

Before even arriving to the hotel, my husband called to ask what their parking policy was as we heard there was a fee. The man who answered the phone said it was $25 unlimited come and go. Upon arriving, we found out he had left out the "per night" wordage. That was frustrating as we probably would have just found parking somewhere else and walked over instead. The more frustrating part was that the man at the front desk just kept repeating all this "fluff" stuff saying, "Oh, well, we contract the valet service and they make the prices..not us." Next up was the fact that none of the rooms have small refrigerators or microwaves. What? The man up front again said, "Oh, well, this is a full service hotel, and having microwaves and refrigerators in the room generally discourages people from use of the bar and other areas in the lobby." Say what? Traveling with a baby, I was pretty frustrated as he still needs things kept cold (milk, food, etc.), and in turn, needs things heated up. We were able to request a refrigerator and the man up front said, "Well, yeah, I can see if they possibly have any available right now." Thankfully, we got one. We had to make the trip to the front desk for anything to be heated up though. Which brings me to another story. The night we checked in, I came to the front desk (as the man behind the desk had said to do), and asked for my baby's bottle to be heated up. The guy who was there this time was pretty nice and said, "No problem, we have one right back here". In order to answer his question of how long to heat it up, I asked if it was a high-power microwave or just a regular one? He responded, "Oh, it's average, but it heats things pretty quick!" Perfect, got the bottle and was on my way. The next morning however, my husband took the trip down to the front desk and asked for the bottle to be heated up. This time, a woman was there and said, "No sorry, we don't have a microwave back here. Try the bar." What?? He tried the bar, and got the same response. Full service huh? Back to the front desk he went where the same woman said, "Oh. Well, we have one, but it doesn't really work very well." It doesn't? Funny...did the microwave change overnight? Arg.
On to the pool saga. Since we were there as a family, and had one full day to just relax in the hotel, we were all really looking forward to their nice "heated" pool! One thing it was missing. Heat. Like of any sort. If you are into the whole polar dip thing in the winter, this was the pool for you. Not to mention, if you're looking for a pool to do laps in, this is so not the pool for you. But I digress. We inquired about how cold it was soon after we arrived, and they said they would have it heated by the morning. Morning came. Polar dip pool was still in place. Even after talking with the manager, and him saying they would take care of it right away, the pool was still not heated until mid-morning the day we had to check out. Super disappointing.
I gave it a 2 only because amidst all the other issues, the rooms were very well kept. Very small, but very clean.

Overall, I obviously don't recommend this hotel, and wouldn't visit again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Rebekah521
Dear Rebekah521,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. I can understand how the parking situation can frustrate you as the city's parking situation often does to travelers. I also understand how the front desk telling you inconsistent answers and having the pool not warm enough could really ruin your stay. For these inconveniences that you had to experiencing, I am beyond sorry. Reviews like this are never what a manager wants to hear, but I understand that it did happen and I needed to hear so.

Unfortunately, there is a very limited amount of parking downtown and that is why all businesses and garages charge top dollar for parking. Our valet company charges the same amount as the rest of the downtown hotels. Although, it may seem high to you, the availability really dictates that pricing. The hotel does have a limited amount of mini-fridges for guests with medicine, etc. However, they are on a first come first serve basis, but if the hotel ever runs out we're more than happy to hold your belongings in our of our kitchen walk-in refrigerators. There is only one microwave for guest needs like yours that is located behind the front desk. I am very sorry to hear that you were turned down at one point, and I will revisit that situation immediately. I'm also sorry that the pool was not up to it's normal warm temperature at the beginning of your stay. I do remember speaking with you about that situation, and unfortunately, we had to drain the pool for our preventative maintenance cleaning and it usually takes about 24 hours after refilling to warm back up to it's preferred temperature.

I am very pleased to hear that you did enjoy your rooms though, and would love for you to return to the hotel so that myself and my staff could have another opportunity to prove our product and services to you and your family. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

My son and I stayed one night to catch a Red Wings game...we could see the Joe Louis Arena from our 14th floor window. Didn't even have to take a coat to the game, as it is just a quick walk through the Convention center right to the door to the arena...awesome...

The hotel is clean and modern, the rooms are nice with a small but very functional bathroom. Front desk staff were friendly and efficient, and the parking valets were quick! (still wishing there was a car wash fairy that lived in the underground parking, but that has nothing to do with the hotel).

Hotel was close to downtown, and all the restaurant choices that go with it. The price was budget friendly, although no breakfast included which is fine by me....

Would highly recommend the Crowne Plaza, and will stay again in the future....

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Stefan M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. I'm ecstatic to hear that the hotel not only met, but exceeded your expectations. We love our Detroit Red Wings fans and love that we are the closest hotel to Joe Louis Arena! Next time you stay make sure you look up our breakfast package, and I'll see what I can do about finding one of those car wash fairies! But in all seriousness, thank you very much, and myself and the rest of the staff look forward to your return!
Muskegon County, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

The hotel itself was decent (not like the pictures online, but decent) it was the service that was terrible. I waited in a 45 minute check in line an hour after the time you could check in only to be told that only one of the two rooms was available (that I called the hotel to reserve in advance) and I would have to come back later to get the other room. The worst part was how rude the employees were when I asked questions as to how my room was not available when I reserved them in advance directly through the hotel. Bad service ruined my experience and I will definitely choose to stay elsewhere next year.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank SGirl2163
Dear SGirl2163,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. I understand how frustrating it can be to have to wait an extended amount of time to check in to your already reserved room. You had already reserved those rooms in advance and there is no excuse for only having one ready during your check in process. I would like to apologize that you had to experience such an inconvenience, and that your expectations were not met.

I assure you that this is very far from our hotel's normal operation. I understand that you feel that you would not like to stay here again, but I would like you to please give the hotel another chance to prove their quality of service to you. Should you find yourself traveling to Detroit again please contact me directly at the hotel so that I may arrange another reservation for you so that you may see the hotel's true quality.

Thank you again for taking the time to write this review. I understand that everything didn't go as you had expected and it is the reviews like this that truly help the hotel better develop it's product and services.
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

My daughter and I spent the weekend here while she attended a dance competition across the street at the convention center. While the location was convenient, you need to know that there are no connectors or covered walkways to the center. The hotel itself is nice. Rooms were modern and clean with a very small but nice bathroom. We had a beautiful view of the bridge to Canada from our room on the 24th floor. All of the staff were very nice and helpful. I give the staff a five star rating. BUT, the food situation is ridiculous. We had dinner in the Jefferson restaurant in the lobby--very few selections and high priced. Also, a coffee stand sells Starbucks in the morning, but only prepackaged pastries were available when we were there. I heard they got some other pastries later in the morning. The restaurant only offers a buffet breakfast for $18 per person. The ONLY restaurant that we could find close to the hotel that was open on the weekend was a Subway, located at 220 W. Congress. The manager and workers there were extremely nice and helpful as I purchased both breakfast and lunch there. So if you stay at the hotel, know that your food options will be limited

Room Tip: Ask for a too the higher floors with a view of Canada
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to sharing your experience. We are glad to hear that you found our rooms to be modern and clean with a beautiful view of the US/Canada boarder. We pride ourselves in providing exceptional customer service and are glad to hear that you give the staff and level of service 5 stars. I did want to personally apologize about the food situation; we are working on making our dinner menu with more selections. We look forward to your return in the future.