“Hotel is nice but people are rude”

Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I check in get my keys the keys don't work then go back down stairs come back up and the keys don't work again then we call for housekeeping the next day too clean the room while me and my fiancé left we come back and the room is still dirty bed not maid and we had no clean towels then they send some one up too bring us towels and they were really rude we call down too guest services some rude guy name dauntee answers with a attitude and tells us oh I forgot too tell housekeeping too clean your room then was really rude and disrespectful I waited 20 for my car too get valet it was horrible but the hotel has potential but the workers are rude and nobody have me any discounts or anything

• Stayed: February 2014
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience; please contact me directly to discuss this further and make this right. We want all of our guests to have an excellent experience during their visit to our hotel and anything less is unacceptable. Please reach out to me so we can make this right. My email is FOM@hotelpontchartrain.com

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront

Reviewed February 6, 2014

When I got there at 3 am, two people where in front of me. One was a young lady insisting that she be allowed to go up to her boyfriends room - who they had just called and talked to his wife. The other had already checked in, found her room dirty, and wanted them to check the replacement room to make sure it was clean. I checked in, got my room with very nice people working at the desk.

I got upstairs, and found that my room was COLD. Ice had formed on the interior glass and frame. The sign outside the window was flapping constantly, causing a beating noise that was there the entire stay. At 3, I was too tired to move rooms, so I bundled up and went to sleep.

The next morning I told the desk about the heat, and that afternoon it was fixed. The sign was noisy the entire stay, and that complaint I heard from numerous others in my group. The icing never left the window frames.

Second night, more drama in the lobby, drunk girl from the bar begging for someone to take her home, she had no coat, and no car. Hardly any clothes. Maybe they need to have security at night in the lobby?

The second morning, the front desk told me I got tickets for free breakfast as part of my group. Breakfast was good, and the wait staff very good.

Great location. Downtown Detroit is GREAT.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience; I wanted to apologized about any inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Please feel free to contact me directly to resolve any mentioned issues. My email is FOM@hotelpontchartrain.com

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Not bad service, small room upgrade at check in . Pool was not heated, very cold. Nice sauna. Great location for auto show , Red wings and access to downtown. Pay to park right off the bat not a good thing. People were nice.

Room Tip: Just average
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to reviewing our property. We are glad to hear that you were upgraded at check-in and that you enjoyed our services. We are a great location for the auto show as you mentioned because we are right next door to Cobo Center. I wanted to apologize about the pool heater being down. We did get it fixed and it's up and running now. We look forward to your return. Thank you

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times over the past year. I understand that this has been a work in progress after a renovation but the hotel is making real progress and creating an inviting location with an upscale feel in what I'm sure is a tough location downtown when there isn't a convention. The rooms still feel a bit dated, but the staff is friendly and welcoming. The Jefferson House Dining Room pulls off a good menu with above average character. The Cellar bar employs a talented staff and an adequately stocked bar for a great, relaxing evening. There are obviously some challenged to work out as they had a pipe burst and damage the fitness room - though they did offer shuttles to the fitness facility at the Holiday Inn down the street. Give this place a try, i'm sure you will be happy with the price for the value delivered.

Room Tip: River view is quite beautiful in the winter time with ice spread across to Canada. the convention c...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We truly appreciate the feedback and look forward to your return. Thank you

Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for the Auto Show and then went to a Wings game. First t hints, the staff were very helpful and nice. We ended up with a corner king room and was nice but all the rooms had ice building up in the corner of the windows and was so bad the carpet was wet in spots. The bathroom was OK but VERY small. For the price I would have expected better. Also they seemed to be working on a lot of things in the hotel that were in disrepair. Overall I enjoyed my stay but the best was how close we were to Cobo and Joe Louis. It people mover was only a block away. Not sure I would stay here again though...

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear Unitedgreg,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay, and I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the location and the service that you received while staying at the hotel. Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay, and I look forward to your return!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I first want to say that the staff was very friendly and helpful. Everyone who we encountered during our stay was courteous and did their best to accommodate our needs.

From my conversations with the staff the hotel was opened about 3 months before our stay. Based on what we saw, it needs another 3 months before it should have opened. We arrived on January 24, 2014. Our Valet experience was excellent. The valet and bellman staffs were extremely helpful and friendly. The bellman even apologized for not being in uniform but based on the temperatures and wind-chill in Detroit that day, you need to wear many layers to stay warm if you are going to be outside for long periods of time. The elevator lobby for the parking level did not have covers on the indicator lights for the elevators and there were just exposed wires and light bulbs hanging.

When I checked in at reception they did not recognize my Platinum status and I did not bring my card showing 2014. I specifically requested a room far from the elevator and we were placed directly across from the ice machine and next to the elevator. Check-in was very pleasant except for the status issue. Due to the status issue, there was no mention of the executive lounge.

The first thing that you notice when you enter the room was the dirty carpet. There were 2 stains that were about 12 x 10. The overall appearance of the room was nice. The beds and furniture looked to be very new including the bed linens. The window was of some concern because there was a lot of moisture buildup and water dripping. Sometimes there would be ice or frost on the center seam of the window. Due to all of the moisture there was damage to the window sill area.

The bathroom was in excellent condition with new fixtures and very roomy. We experienced problems with the toilet not flushing correctly the entire time that we were there. There was either a clog in the drain pipe or insufficient pressure. It did appear that the toilet was a very cheap model or the flush unit that was installed was cheap due to the cheap plastic flush handle. We did call maintenance and they spent some time on the toilet but did not resolve the issue. The shower worked well except for the fact that the head was high enough for someone about 5 feet tall. I would also recommend a different shampoo because the scent of the provided shampoo was similar to bug spray. I need to comment on others complaints about the door on the bathroom being see-through. It is made of glass but the only way to see anything is if you stand in the entrance way between the bathroom door and the closet. At this point you can see shadows through the glass.

The door latch on our room needed some attention and the door frame. If you were not paying attention when you left the room, the door would not be latched. The lock plunger would usually stick and not extend after you unlatched the door. You also needed to slam the door to get it to close all of the way because the door and frame did not align correctly.

The ice machine on our floor (15) did not work and had a sign instructing you to go to the 21st floor for ice.

There were frequent odd issues with the elevators. They would stop on floors that buttons were not selected for and sometimes refuse to move until everyone left the elevator and reentered.

During our stay both the fitness center and the indoor pool were closed. Some staff were not aware that the pool was closed.

The guest rooms do not have safes in them so you need to either request the use of a safe deposit box in the back office or check your items with the front desk and they will store it in the back office for you. We required a safe deposit box and it took about 1 hour for the staff to determine the correct procedures and figure out how to open a box. After this was resolved the use of the box was adequate. We also checked a bag with the front desk and that experience was trouble-free.

The restaurant is on the main lobby level right next to the entry door from outside. Due to the fact that there is no doorway between the two there were frequent blasts of very cold are from outside hitting the restaurant. The staff in the restaurant were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The menu was somewhat sparse but the food that we did order was reasonably priced and flavorful. The pork tenderloin was tender and a very good dish. I tried a glass of a malbec that our server recommended with dinner and it was a very good choice.

Breakfast in the restaurant was very good and portions were more than adequate. Our server Dave(David) was very friendly, helpful and attentive to our needs. One complaint that I have for the breakfast is that between the front desk and the restaurant there is poor communication on what hours breakfast is served. I would recommend that the restaurant be open later on Sunday for breakfast; they were switching to lunch at 11:00.

During our stay it was necessary to retrieve something from my car that was checked with valet. While I was helping to locate my car I also noticed that there was water dripping in the parking garage from overhead pipes.

There are a lot of issues listed above and I do realize that the hotel only opened 3 months before my stay. The building needs a lot of attention and it is obvious that the staff still need more training before they will operate as a well-oiled machine.

I want to commend the front desk at checkout. I voiced my concerns about our stay and they refunded one night stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Jeffrey H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay. It is feedback like yours that really helps the hotel to continue to develop their product and services to better fit and exceed our guest's expectations. I am very pleased to hear about everything that you enjoyed during your stay, and would like to ensure that the staff is working very hard on correcting all of the minor issues that you experienced during your stay. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to have you return to the hotel in the near future so that myself and the rest of the hotel staff could show you that we are working tirelessly on becoming Detroit's most luxurious full-service hotel. Thank you again for taking the time to review your recent stay, and I look forward to your return!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

The hospitality in the is hotel is a 5 star all the way! True Detroit spirit!! From the moment you valet your car, the staff at the front desk etc. We had a small issue in our room and they immediately changed our room. Smiles intact! The only reason I did not give this hotel a 5 star, the rooms were a little worn, carpet needs to be replaced. The beds comfortable! Convenient, this hotel is convenient to all venues and treasures Detroit has to offer!

Room Tip: Go for the River View!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Itbemoreronnab,

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay so much. The hotel staff works very hard to keep our guests pleased and to exceed their expectations on a daily basis. Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay, and I look forward to your return!