“Great hotel...but it has issues”

Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

For a downtown hotel in a major city the room rate I got was good for me. My room had an excellent view of the GM building and the waterway that separates us from Canada. The $25 a day valet has got to go, even though my car was always ready for me when I needed it. Staff was wonderful all around. Even when my toilet in my room didn't flush they gave me another room with the same view just on a lower floor. The city of Detroit will be seeing me again. They are rebuilding a better Detroit and I want to come back to see it, hopefully while staying at the Crowns Plaza.

• Stayed: October 2013
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to providing feedback about your recent stay; we are glad to hear that you had an excellent view of the GM building from your room. We are also happy to hear that you thought our staff was wonderful. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Booked a room last-minute for a Red Wings game with friends. I booked through one of those "hidden hotel" sites, booked for 4 adults and got a room with 2 full size beds. Queen size would be nice but considering the size of the rooms, full-size is perfectly understandable.

This hotel has a lot of history. The Hotel Pontchartrain has been remodeled and is back in business. Everything that I could see was clean and polished. Updated and modern but still feels like a old classic.

The rooms are really cool, it looks like every outside-facing room has a v-shaped window so you can see a bunch of the city. Our room was overlooking Cobo and Windsor.

Only complaints that I have is that check-in and check-out seemed "clunky". Employee at the desk had to ask for my ID and credit card 4 times (and this was a fully pre-paid reservation). Took almost 10 minutes for him to get us checked it.
Also, we drove around the hotel several times, at the motor lobby there is a sign saying to valet-park on the Jefferson entrance. We drove up and parked there, and no one was there. We went inside and were told to go to the motor lobby. Need to get that sign taken down, or get valet attendants on Jefferson entrance.

Only on-site parking is valet, and I recommend using it. I saw how tight the garage is, and I can see why they dont want guests trying to park in there. They took care of our car, and when we checked out, they had our car upstairs to the Jefferson entrance in about 2 minutes. Convenient.

We did not use the fitness center or pool. I saw the outdoor pool was closed for the season, but I think I saw an indoor pool as well.

Bathroom was very cool, updated but it looked like the floor was the original tile floor. Very good condition and EXCELLENT water pressure.

We watched the end of the Tigers game in the hotel bar after the Red Wings game. Nice bar, but rather pricey, only craft beer on draft and everything seemed to be at least $7 for a average sized pour.

Room Tip: Call ahead if you have any preferences. Ask if you can get a river-view room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to reviewing our property. We are so happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. We are glad that you enjoyed the view of Cobo Center and Windsor. I wanted to apologize about the slower than usual check in process. I will continue to provide training to the front desk staff to ensure that the check in and check out process is as smooth as possible. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza and it was a very enjoyable stay. Rooms were nice and newly remodeled, the staff was very professional and knowledgeable. Dawn was exceptional front desk staff, I also met with Security Officer David Johnson and he went over and beyond to make sure me and my family were taken care of. Crowne Plaza you have outdone yourself with the cleanliness and knowledgeable staff, keep up the good work.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank detroittravelking
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We are so happy to hear that you had a very enjoyable stay. Our staff is extremely happy to know that you had a great time here and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Went to Detroit for a Tigers game-hotel room was clean, well done. Location-across the street from COBO Arena and a few blocks to Tigers. We walked to the Tigers game in the day and night -no problems. Parking is 25.00 at the hotel, we tried finding parking cheaper but no luck. View from window was a dirty pool but it was late in September. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank michd61
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for providing us with feedback about your last stay. We are so happy to hear that you had a great time at Comerica Park to watch the baseball game. As you mentioned we are only a few blocks from Comerica Park which makes us the ideal hotel to stay at when watching the game. Thank you and we look forward to your return real soon.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

My family traveled to Detroit to catch 2 Red Wings games and a Tigers game. We chose this hotel due to its proximity to the Joe Louis Arena. Our room had a wonderful view of the river and was very clean. The room was a little smaller, but just fine for a family of 4 who had no real intentions of using the room other than to sleep. This location is perfect for attending Red Wings games and was about a 10-15 walk to Comerica Park with two smaller children. The only problem we encountered during our stay was Sunday morning dining. We were seated and waited about 15-20 minutes and no server came to our table nor did we even see a server. Valet parking went extremely smooth; we were able to keep our car in valet until 11:00 pm on our day of departure for only $10.00(with in/out rights if needed). Our first day at the hotel, we asked a car porter the easiest way to walk to the arena. The owner of the valet service gave my family a ride to the arena!!! What great customer service he and his staff have. Aside from the dinig issue, I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael M
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the great review! I wanted to formally apologize about your wait during Sunday morning's dining. We are glad that our valet services went above and beyond your expectations and from all of us here at the hotel we look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

By far and away the best hotel I've ever stayed at in or around Detroit, and the whole state for that matter. The room was amazing and the views of the city and river were just phenomenal. To begin with, the entrance for valet parking is right off the expressway, literally seconds, and getting back on after checkout was just as easy. The valet parking was great, very fast and friendly, making leaving a vehicle a bit more comforting. The lobby and initial sights inside were just phenomenal, beautifully laid out, and just stunning. Front desk personnel were very efficient and extremely friendly during check-in. We spent about 30 minutes when we got to our room just simply in awe at how awesome it was. Not just the view, but the layout, appliances, and overall cleanliness were superb. After we stopped gawking out the window, we went downstairs and had a wonderful time at the bar watching the games. The bar staff were very friendly and good at their jobs, and created a very fun and inviting atmosphere for all. During the stay, I had numerous conversations with a security guard, who was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the area and what was going on. We were in town for a Tigers game the next day, and he basically guided us as where and what to do. The location of the hotel is perfect, right by Hart Plaza, Cobo, Joe Louis, and the River walk. You can easily see that this hotel is extremely well managed, every aspect was in tune with what a hotel stay should be. I would not even consider staying anywhere else in this city, not even close. Thank you for an amazing experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott S

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the amazing review! We truly appreciate it and look forward to your return. It's reviews like this that we share with our staff as a motivator as to how every guest experience should be. Thank you so much.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We traveled to Detroit for a Tigers game. We had never stayed at this hotel before and thought we would give it a try. Staff was very helpful and even helped us to get to the people mover (which we had never used before, and was a huge success). Very easy check in. Rooms were small, but perfect for the night. Really enjoyed our stay.

The con was the valet parking. We had no idea that we were being charged for Valet parking ($25.00 + tax) until after they had taken our truck! I was not overly impressed.

The best part was Joshua and Katie from the bar. They kept us entertained until the wee hours of the morning. Thank you so much for that!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We do apologize about the valet fee, but are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the hotel all around. From everyone here at the bar and hotel we thank you and look forward to your return.