“Had an amazing birthday!”

Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersBronze level
Southfield, Michigan
“Had an amazing birthday!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza of Detroit on the weekend of September 21-22. The dessert and food was amazing! We received room service and it was fast, hot and some of the best breakfast in bed I have ever had! Everyone was helpful and nice. Rooms were clean and the view was beautiful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the excellent review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your birthday with us and we look forward to your visit again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Polish first
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Arriving at this hotel the lobby is beautiful. When we checked in they said that the room we booked was no longer avaliable and we were being upgraded to a junior suite. I was excited since it was my birthday weekend and we were in town to go to the tigers game and celebrate. We stayed in room 1100. As soon as we got off the elevator there was a huge bag of trash just sitting there that housekeeping apparently forgot to take with them. Our room was nice! Little dusty along the window sills and the bed is very firm but other than that I loved the looks of this room. Major problem I had with the room was it being so close to the elevator. I heard it ding and beep and go up and down all night long. Could barely get any sleep because of it. It ruined it for me. Kind of late in the night I wanted to fill the ice bucket but couldn't find a machine so we went down to the lobby to ask where one was. When we approached the counter the front desk lady was to busy to see us as she was video recording a very intoxicated lady that was dancing around in the lobby. She was using her cell phone to record this lady. When she saw us there she said "whoops sorry" when we asked where an ice machine was she said maybe the 11 or 24 floor and probably the 6th. We were on the 11th floor so I knew it wasn't there. She had no idea. As we walked away she resumed her recording even as another couple approached the counter. The next morning checking out was madness for the valet guys. it took quite awhile to get our car back but those guys were running their butts off. I would definitely stay here again if I was ever in Detroit. But would ask not to be close to the elevator shaft. This hotel is right next to a people mover and across the street from river. Nice location decent price.

1 Thank beckyb203
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I'm glad to hear that you think our hotel lobby is beautiful, and that you enjoyed your room. I am sorry though about the location of the room; we are going to start communicating to our guests about rooms that are next to the elevators and offer an alternative at check in if requested. I will also talk to the front desk and make sure they know exactly where the ice machines are. We look forward to your visit in the future and we will be sure to assign you a quiet room. Thank you for your feedback
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

My sister and I flew to Michigan to surprise our dad for his 60th bday and take him to a Tigers game. I liked the location. Nice walk to Comerica.

Francesco at check-in was very professional, but informed me there was a $25 parking fee that i did not see listed anywhere. Suprise/frustration #1. When we got up to our room there were someone's belongings already in it. Not something I would want happening to me...

We had timed it after dinner to change and walk to the game, but were told we had to go back down to the lobby while they investigated the issue. I was told we would be upgraded and given tickets for their continental breakfast, but I told them I was more worried about time than anything and asked them to please get a cab for us. Upon arriving to our new room a few floors up, we found it to be the exact same room size and layout... I wanted to go back down, but we were now cutting it too close. The cab was waiting for us which was nice, but I found out when we got there that I was paying for it after. Mistakes happen, but PLEASE just make up for them.

While in the room my sister found hairs on the bathroom floor and just overall uncleanliness on the floor.

Again, the location and price are okay, but I would suggest another location. When I check out in the morning I anticipate it being the last time I see this place.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our property; we encourage our guests to give us feedback so we can use them as a guide to help better shape our services. I am so sorry about any inconveniences that you experienced during your last stay and would love the opportunity to make up for them. Please contact me at your convenience so we may come up with a resolution. My email address is FOM@Hotelpontchartrain.com or you may reach me directly at (313) 782 - 4306.
Detroit, MI
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I read that the restaurant had opened, I had no idea it was opened yet so we went for my husband's birthday. The lobby of the hotel is gorgeous and the restaurant is very pretty. White high back chairs, windows across the front. A nice atmosphere. The food was really quite good, we started with a fried squash blossom stuffed with gouda cheese and ham that was delicious. They have a nice list of appetizers and a good selection of different salads. Even a kale and quinoa one. We tried the prosciutto salad which fun, shaved prosciutto on top of marscapone with some radishes and I think a little parmesan. It was salty, sweet, creamy and crunchy. I loved it, my husband is not a big prosciutto fan he finds it to chewy and fatty but he did sa it tasted good. The short rib on polenta was fantastic, rich, meaty just soul satisfying. The portion I thought was huge took the rest home and had it for lunch for two days. Jeff got the scallops which looked divine and according to him were. I tasted the lemongrass risotto they came on and it was wonderful. Our server was very good, knowledgeable, friendly she gave us a dessert since it was my husbands birthday. It was a yummy warm chocolaty nutty sponge cake served warm. The Jefferson House has a good wine list, very descriptive so you know exactly what that wine might taste like. Cocktails were made the way we like them cold and a good size. We had a lovely evening there. As I said the lobby is beautiful and the restrooms were also really really nice. A great addition to the Detroit restaurant scene. There is also a great looking bar on the first floor that we peeked into. Crowne Plaza seems to have done a good job on the old Ponchatrain Hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your wonderful experience in our hotel. We take great pride in our restaurant and we are extremely happy that you enjoyed everything from the decor down to each delicious dish. We have shared this review with everyone in the restaurant and kitchen and they're all thrilled that you had a great experience. Our executive chef also was ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed everything. We truly look forward to your return. Thank you so much.
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Detroit on Friday August 20, 2013. I was in town for the Tigers game and although I don't live far I decided it would be best to stay the night and enjoy some drinks at the game as my room would only be a cab ride away.

Upon arrival I was greeted by the very friendly valet attendants who immediately offered to help me with my bag and show me to the front desk. I was pleased to enter and find a totally renovated lobby that although had some remnants from it's Pontchartrain's past life, was very fresh and vibrant.

The front desk staff was also very friendly and I was greeted by a gentleman named Darrel who acknowledged me as a Priority Club Platinum member and offered me a nice room upgrade. Believe it or not this was my first upgrade since becoming Platinum this year. I appreciated that touch.

Now onto the room. I was given a suite type room with a living area on one side and the bed an bathroom on the other side. I had a beautiful view of Canada and down town Detroit as the windows are triangular in shape and jut out from the building giving you a great vista.

The room was fresh, seemed clean and you can tell some room renovations had been done. The bathroom was quite small I have to say. When I asked about this upon check out they explained that all the bathrooms in the hotel are like this and follow a French design. All in all the bathroom was stocked with good amenities, fresh fluffy towels and was clean.

The only other thing I wanted to note is that I wish it was equipped with a safe. Not for any reason other than it gives you a peace of mind knowing that some of your things are safe under lock and key while you are away.

I realize this hotel is still getting it's legs as it has just been renovated, reopened and rebranded but I liked what I saw so far. It has huge potential and I believe this brand and it's clientele will drive the management to continuously improve.

It is in a great location right across from Cobo Hall and very near Joe Louis Arena. The people mover station is only a block and a half away which make all of downtown accessible in a very cost effective manor.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and a view of Canada.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Platinum member; we appreciate your repeat business with IHG. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and providing us with positive feedback. We are happy to hear that the valet attendants were friendly and assisted you to the front desk. We shared this review with the front desk agent who helped you and he was thrilled to be able to provide you with superior service that made your stay great. We are glad that you had an amazing view from your room of the Canada and Detroit border (most of our rooms share that same view). We take cleanliness seriously and we are glad that you noticed your room was fresh and clean. I would like to apologize about the safe situation; we do offer safety deposit boxes behind the front desk for guest use. From everyone here at the hotel we wanted to thank you for your great review and we look forward to your return in the future.
Atlanta
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

I am a platinum member and upon checking in received no upgrade, no bottle of water, nothing. The hotel location is great the rooms were clean however we did not get breakfast, or even a vending machine in the building. Their cafe wasn't open and didn't even have any food in it. The picketers and a Detroit feel but we had to walk to get food that was reasonably priced. Close to the people mover and we has a great time. The floor I was on has a room I assume is to be used for hosting executives but wasn't even being used.

Oh we'll, I guess they fit in with the reputation.

Jim

• Stayed August 2013
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. Our guest's reactions constantly mold and improve the development of our services and product. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, but disappointed about your feelings towards the food and beverage outlets. Our concierge lounge is currently set up for our concierge level guests, although it was not during your stay. As a newly opened hotel, there were a few areas that we were still working on staffing. The hotel does have vending machines throughout the property on the guest room floors in the tower. I apologize if the location of the machines were not properly communicated to you at check in; I will speak with the front office staff about making sure that the guests are aware. The bar/lounge (Urban Cellars) and restaurant (The Jefferson House) are open 7 days a week and we try very hard to offer quality food at an affordable price. Please give me a call directly at the hotel as I would appreciate the opportunity to set up a future reservation for you to show you the finalized product. Thank you again for taking the time to review your recent stay.
Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel, known as the pontchartain hotel before it closed (for a few years) was recently renovated and reopened under new management as a Crowne Plaza. It's really nice and fancy in the lobby and the front desk staff is really friendly and pleasant and was very helpful too. There's this awesome airwork of Downtown Detroit during it's earlier times behind the desk that you just have to see! In the lobby is this "endless forest," and waterfall airwork that's centrally located in the lobby which is really nice and there's plenty of lounging areas that are designed and look amazing. The bar and also the restaurant has this classy feel to it which was clearly remodeled and the staff there is amazing too! The food in the restaurant was to die for, it was honestly that good. My room was the best part!!! It was clean and the bed was comfortable, and the best part of the room was the view which was overlooking the city and the lake with Canada on the other side. I will certainly return here for another visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank cerealfordinner_1
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay. Your input helps us to constantly improve our product and services. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay. All of the staff has put a lot of time and effort into the renovation and our design team worked very hard on the artwork and decorations. Receiving reviews like this one really makes the staff feel great. Myself and the rest of the staff here anticipate your return!