“Jefferson House Restaurant in Crowne Plaza”

Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I read that the restaurant had opened, I had no idea it was opened yet so we went for my husband's birthday. The lobby of the hotel is gorgeous and the restaurant is very pretty. White high back chairs, windows across the front. A nice atmosphere. The food was really quite good, we started with a fried squash blossom stuffed with gouda cheese and ham that was delicious. They have a nice list of appetizers and a good selection of different salads. Even a kale and quinoa one. We tried the prosciutto salad which fun, shaved prosciutto on top of marscapone with some radishes and I think a little parmesan. It was salty, sweet, creamy and crunchy. I loved it, my husband is not a big prosciutto fan he finds it to chewy and fatty but he did sa it tasted good. The short rib on polenta was fantastic, rich, meaty just soul satisfying. The portion I thought was huge took the rest home and had it for lunch for two days. Jeff got the scallops which looked divine and according to him were. I tasted the lemongrass risotto they came on and it was wonderful. Our server was very good, knowledgeable, friendly she gave us a dessert since it was my husbands birthday. It was a yummy warm chocolaty nutty sponge cake served warm. The Jefferson House has a good wine list, very descriptive so you know exactly what that wine might taste like. Cocktails were made the way we like them cold and a good size. We had a lovely evening there. As I said the lobby is beautiful and the restrooms were also really really nice. A great addition to the Detroit restaurant scene. There is also a great looking bar on the first floor that we peeked into. Crowne Plaza seems to have done a good job on the old Ponchatrain Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your wonderful experience in our hotel. We take great pride in our restaurant and we are extremely happy that you enjoyed everything from the decor down to each delicious dish. We have shared this review with everyone in the restaurant and kitchen and they're all thrilled that you had a great experience. Our executive chef also was ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed everything. We truly look forward to your return. Thank you so much.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Detroit on Friday August 20, 2013. I was in town for the Tigers game and although I don't live far I decided it would be best to stay the night and enjoy some drinks at the game as my room would only be a cab ride away.

Upon arrival I was greeted by the very friendly valet attendants who immediately offered to help me with my bag and show me to the front desk. I was pleased to enter and find a totally renovated lobby that although had some remnants from it's Pontchartrain's past life, was very fresh and vibrant.

The front desk staff was also very friendly and I was greeted by a gentleman named Darrel who acknowledged me as a Priority Club Platinum member and offered me a nice room upgrade. Believe it or not this was my first upgrade since becoming Platinum this year. I appreciated that touch.

Now onto the room. I was given a suite type room with a living area on one side and the bed an bathroom on the other side. I had a beautiful view of Canada and down town Detroit as the windows are triangular in shape and jut out from the building giving you a great vista.

The room was fresh, seemed clean and you can tell some room renovations had been done. The bathroom was quite small I have to say. When I asked about this upon check out they explained that all the bathrooms in the hotel are like this and follow a French design. All in all the bathroom was stocked with good amenities, fresh fluffy towels and was clean.

The only other thing I wanted to note is that I wish it was equipped with a safe. Not for any reason other than it gives you a peace of mind knowing that some of your things are safe under lock and key while you are away.

I realize this hotel is still getting it's legs as it has just been renovated, reopened and rebranded but I liked what I saw so far. It has huge potential and I believe this brand and it's clientele will drive the management to continuously improve.

It is in a great location right across from Cobo Hall and very near Joe Louis Arena. The people mover station is only a block and a half away which make all of downtown accessible in a very cost effective manor.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and a view of Canada.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Platinum member; we appreciate your repeat business with IHG. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and providing us with positive feedback. We are happy to hear that the valet attendants were friendly and assisted you to the front desk. We shared this review with the front desk agent who helped you and he was thrilled to be able to provide you with superior service that made your stay great. We are glad that you had an amazing view from your room of the Canada and Detroit border (most of our rooms share that same view). We take cleanliness seriously and we are glad that you noticed your room was fresh and clean. I would like to apologize about the safe situation; we do offer safety deposit boxes behind the front desk for guest use. From everyone here at the hotel we wanted to thank you for your great review and we look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

I am a platinum member and upon checking in received no upgrade, no bottle of water, nothing. The hotel location is great the rooms were clean however we did not get breakfast, or even a vending machine in the building. Their cafe wasn't open and didn't even have any food in it. The picketers and a Detroit feel but we had to walk to get food that was reasonably priced. Close to the people mover and we has a great time. The floor I was on has a room I assume is to be used for hosting executives but wasn't even being used.

Oh we'll, I guess they fit in with the reputation.

Jim

• Stayed: August 2013
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. Our guest's reactions constantly mold and improve the development of our services and product. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, but disappointed about your feelings towards the food and beverage outlets. Our concierge lounge is currently set up for our concierge level guests, although it was not during your stay. As a newly opened hotel, there were a few areas that we were still working on staffing. The hotel does have vending machines throughout the property on the guest room floors in the tower. I apologize if the location of the machines were not properly communicated to you at check in; I will speak with the front office staff about making sure that the guests are aware. The bar/lounge (Urban Cellars) and restaurant (The Jefferson House) are open 7 days a week and we try very hard to offer quality food at an affordable price. Please give me a call directly at the hotel as I would appreciate the opportunity to set up a future reservation for you to show you the finalized product. Thank you again for taking the time to review your recent stay.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel, known as the pontchartain hotel before it closed (for a few years) was recently renovated and reopened under new management as a Crowne Plaza. It's really nice and fancy in the lobby and the front desk staff is really friendly and pleasant and was very helpful too. There's this awesome airwork of Downtown Detroit during it's earlier times behind the desk that you just have to see! In the lobby is this "endless forest," and waterfall airwork that's centrally located in the lobby which is really nice and there's plenty of lounging areas that are designed and look amazing. The bar and also the restaurant has this classy feel to it which was clearly remodeled and the staff there is amazing too! The food in the restaurant was to die for, it was honestly that good. My room was the best part!!! It was clean and the bed was comfortable, and the best part of the room was the view which was overlooking the city and the lake with Canada on the other side. I will certainly return here for another visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank cerealfordinner_1
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay. Your input helps us to constantly improve our product and services. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay. All of the staff has put a lot of time and effort into the renovation and our design team worked very hard on the artwork and decorations. Receiving reviews like this one really makes the staff feel great. Myself and the rest of the staff here anticipate your return!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel was like paradise on earth and the staff in every department of the hotel went above and beyond to exceed my expectations and make our stay beyond enjoyable. This was hands down one of the best experiences I have had staying at a hotel, and although I have never written a review before I felt as though this stay really deserved to be recognized. During my stay I only encountered one minor hiccup with valet over charging me but thankfully the manager at the front desk Hugh went out of his way to not only fix the problem but also compensate me for the inconvenience as well. We will defiantly be back and are looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amber B

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your service and accommodations. I would like to apologize for the issue with the valet service, but I'm also pleased to hear that the issue was corrected immediately. Our valet manager had addressed that issue the same day and we have not incurred it since. Thank you again for your review, and myself and the rest of the staff look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We actually attempted to stay in June, but our reservation was cancelled two days before check in. The hotel had planned its grand opening, and we made reservations to take our kids to something special because we are such cheerleaders of downtown Detroit, our hometown.
After several attempts to contact the hotel through holidayinn corporate, we finally spoke with the manager of the property who promised us he would contact us so our family could book on opening night.
A week ago, we found out that the hotel had already opened, and our promised phone call never arrived. I phoned the manager last week about the continued disappointment with broken promises with this property. I received a message on July 26 with a litany of reasons we were neglected and a request for a return phone call. I have now left two messages on the manager's direct line and still have not been called back. It's now July 31.
Based on this experience, I cannot imagine this hotel is much better managed if you actually stay there.
Too bad too...Detroit really needed a quality, well-managed hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank kOps210
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I apologize for the contact confusing during our opening. The hotel opened as an independent hotel to cater to a large group, then shortly after had received it's Crowne Plaza flag. I know that you have already been in contact with the Front Office Director and have worked out solution, but I just wanted to formally apologize for the opening confusion and the effect it had on your impression of the hotel.

I assure you the hotel has worked out it's kinks now and we are operating to not only meet, but exceed your expectations. I anticipate your arrival, and I assure you that the hotel staff will do everything possible to provide you with a superior stay.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had two rooms booked for an event. After a lengthy wait in the check in line (there was only one person checking in guests, while the manager looked on), we were told our rooms were not ready. I was not upset, as we were requesting an early check in at 2:00. Our group had lunch and walked around downtown. At 4:00, we attempted to check in again. After another long wait (wait was so long, staff was handing out Gatorade to guests in line), we were again told our rooms were not ready (check in was at 3:00, it was now around 4:40). We downgraded our rooms so that we could attend our event on time. One room the water pressure was so low in the shower; hair washing had to be finished in the sink. Another room had no hot water at all; not even lukewarm. Not one ice machine in the hotel worked. The front desk was aware of all these "issues". Staff did a great job, trying to accommodate the many frustrated guests. It was obvious this hotel was not ready for their grand opening. This was a management problem. I would not stay here until all the "issues" have been worked out. The best experience of this hotel, and should not be missed, is the food in the bar. While it is pricey, the presentation, quality and overall flavor of the meals were awesome. Kudos to the bar staff for the only place in the hotel having their act together on opening weekend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank grnelson500
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. I apologize sincerely for the problems you incurred during your recent stay. Unfortunately, with opening a historic building like this there tends to be several kinks during the first week or two. Almost all of said issues have been addressed and fixed and the hotel is now on its way to running seamlessly.

Once again, I do apologize for not meeting your expectations and encourage you to contact me directly at the hotel so that I can further handle any issues or concerns of yours. I look forward to your return.