“The Best!!!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, Michigan
“The Best!!!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel, known as the pontchartain hotel before it closed (for a few years) was recently renovated and reopened under new management as a Crowne Plaza. It's really nice and fancy in the lobby and the front desk staff is really friendly and pleasant and was very helpful too. There's this awesome airwork of Downtown Detroit during it's earlier times behind the desk that you just have to see! In the lobby is this "endless forest," and waterfall airwork that's centrally located in the lobby which is really nice and there's plenty of lounging areas that are designed and look amazing. The bar and also the restaurant has this classy feel to it which was clearly remodeled and the staff there is amazing too! The food in the restaurant was to die for, it was honestly that good. My room was the best part!!! It was clean and the bed was comfortable, and the best part of the room was the view which was overlooking the city and the lake with Canada on the other side. I will certainly return here for another visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank cerealfordinner_1
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay. Your input helps us to constantly improve our product and services. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay. All of the staff has put a lot of time and effort into the renovation and our design team worked very hard on the artwork and decorations. Receiving reviews like this one really makes the staff feel great. Myself and the rest of the staff here anticipate your return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Polish first
Southfield, Michigan
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel was like paradise on earth and the staff in every department of the hotel went above and beyond to exceed my expectations and make our stay beyond enjoyable. This was hands down one of the best experiences I have had staying at a hotel, and although I have never written a review before I felt as though this stay really deserved to be recognized. During my stay I only encountered one minor hiccup with valet over charging me but thankfully the manager at the front desk Hugh went out of his way to not only fix the problem but also compensate me for the inconvenience as well. We will defiantly be back and are looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amber B
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your service and accommodations. I would like to apologize for the issue with the valet service, but I'm also pleased to hear that the issue was corrected immediately. Our valet manager had addressed that issue the same day and we have not incurred it since. Thank you again for your review, and myself and the rest of the staff look forward to your return.
Farmington, Michigan
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We actually attempted to stay in June, but our reservation was cancelled two days before check in. The hotel had planned its grand opening, and we made reservations to take our kids to something special because we are such cheerleaders of downtown Detroit, our hometown.
After several attempts to contact the hotel through holidayinn corporate, we finally spoke with the manager of the property who promised us he would contact us so our family could book on opening night.
A week ago, we found out that the hotel had already opened, and our promised phone call never arrived. I phoned the manager last week about the continued disappointment with broken promises with this property. I received a message on July 26 with a litany of reasons we were neglected and a request for a return phone call. I have now left two messages on the manager's direct line and still have not been called back. It's now July 31.
Based on this experience, I cannot imagine this hotel is much better managed if you actually stay there.
Too bad too...Detroit really needed a quality, well-managed hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank kOps210
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I apologize for the contact confusing during our opening. The hotel opened as an independent hotel to cater to a large group, then shortly after had received it's Crowne Plaza flag. I know that you have already been in contact with the Front Office Director and have worked out solution, but I just wanted to formally apologize for the opening confusion and the effect it had on your impression of the hotel.

I assure you the hotel has worked out it's kinks now and we are operating to not only meet, but exceed your expectations. I anticipate your arrival, and I assure you that the hotel staff will do everything possible to provide you with a superior stay.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had two rooms booked for an event. After a lengthy wait in the check in line (there was only one person checking in guests, while the manager looked on), we were told our rooms were not ready. I was not upset, as we were requesting an early check in at 2:00. Our group had lunch and walked around downtown. At 4:00, we attempted to check in again. After another long wait (wait was so long, staff was handing out Gatorade to guests in line), we were again told our rooms were not ready (check in was at 3:00, it was now around 4:40). We downgraded our rooms so that we could attend our event on time. One room the water pressure was so low in the shower; hair washing had to be finished in the sink. Another room had no hot water at all; not even lukewarm. Not one ice machine in the hotel worked. The front desk was aware of all these "issues". Staff did a great job, trying to accommodate the many frustrated guests. It was obvious this hotel was not ready for their grand opening. This was a management problem. I would not stay here until all the "issues" have been worked out. The best experience of this hotel, and should not be missed, is the food in the bar. While it is pricey, the presentation, quality and overall flavor of the meals were awesome. Kudos to the bar staff for the only place in the hotel having their act together on opening weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank grnelson500
Nick K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. I apologize sincerely for the problems you incurred during your recent stay. Unfortunately, with opening a historic building like this there tends to be several kinks during the first week or two. Almost all of said issues have been addressed and fixed and the hotel is now on its way to running seamlessly.

Once again, I do apologize for not meeting your expectations and encourage you to contact me directly at the hotel so that I can further handle any issues or concerns of yours. I look forward to your return.
Rochester, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We found the hotel to be very clean and comfortable, however there were several issues that we encountered. First, we had requested an early check in [just an hour before the stated check in] due to an event that we were attending, but there were no rooms ready for 2 of the 3 in our party. We were finally offered an upgraded room after considerable debate. When I got a glass of water to take some medication I discovered that there were lots of black particles in the water, presumably coming from a bad pipe. They did bring one small bottle of water to us, but we had to ask for more to have enough to make coffee. The water pressure for the shower was low and the toilet didn't flush after the first time without adjusting the flapper. This hotel did not meet my usual expectations for a Crown Plaza.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jng1234
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. Your input helps us better mold our operations to ensure that we're providing the best service and product possible. I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations and ensure you that we have worked out the majority of our opening kinks. I'm glad to hear that you notice our housekeepers hard work and the cleanliness of the hotel. However, I am sorry to hear about the below acceptable water quality. Our new four pipe water system should alleviate any of those issues in the future. Please call me directly at the hotel so that I may discuss your stay in further detail and ensure you of the corrective actions that have been taken.

Thank you again, and I look forward to your return.