“Old stand-by”

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Visited after the Auto Show. The restaurant is a little tired looking & Christmas decorations were still up. The service was friendly, tho and the portions are still huge. The "Jimmy's salad" (formerly the "Tommy's salad") was fresh & delicious. Full of fresh dill, feta & beets. The braised lamb was so tender it fell off the bone. The sauce recipe appears to have changed since our last visit & we actually liked it better than the original. We took home enough for a second meal. It was worth the visit.

1  Thank Rhonda T

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Visited before the auto show so we could walk the deliciousness off. Friendly warm greeting, nice services, the best moussaka in the world, hand cut fries are a must , and wine was a generous pour by the glass. Always consistently wonderful .

1  Thank KimM953
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Visited downtown and opted for an old favorite for dinner. Very disappointed in this restaraunt as we have had wonderful meals there in the past. The lamb was overdone and the portions shrank considerably since our last visit. Side dishes tasted like they sat under heat lamps for hours. I love Greektown but unfortunately New Parthenon is off our list of great restaraunts which is sad because that's what Greektown is known for. Won't go back ever again.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Not much to say if you've been to a good Greek restaurant....flaming cheese is very good and their staff is always friendly. Weekends get busy around dinner time. A fun hangout for the younger crwd on the weekends.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were visiting the Detroit area for the day and got off the people mover just down the street from this restaurant. When looking in the window it looked nice and peaceful; so let's give it a try. As we entered the host pointed for us to go upstairs, at the top of the stairs we waited for someone to greet us; this was weird...we were just standing there. When the 2nd floor host spotted us he seated us in the aisle. Do NOT sit in the aisle. The servers run past constantly; literally run past. There was nothing peaceful about this at all and it was loud. We waited too long for our server and finally I noticed one served debated with another who was going to take our table; not the warm welcome I would have liked to receive. We placed our order and were so annoyed with employees running past our table I finally asked to be moved. The waiter moved us with no problem. On the plus side our food appeared super fast. However, we didn't order anything that was freshly prepared. Our order was based on long slow roasting and stewing. The food was tasty, but be prepared Greek food uses cinnamon and allspice in the red sauce. I do not find the sweetness appealing. As I sat waiting for our bill I noticed several other tables with the same confussed look on their faces: do we have a waiter, do they know we are here, will I ever get a bill. The staff is running around and they work their butts off, but it seems a bit disorganized. I call this a typical tourist spot because so many people visit the area but they may not get tons of repeat visitors and they staff doesn't have to improve service. I would ask to be seated on the first floor it seemed much quiter.

3  Thank captain_parrot