“Probably the very best Chinese food restaurant in metro Detroit!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stanley's Other Place - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Stanley's Other Place
Cuisines: Chinese
Detroit, Michigan, United States
“Probably the very best Chinese food restaurant in metro Detroit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

The grumpy old Asian people usually stay behind the bullet proof glass, but they have a predominantly African American waitstaff that are VERY courteous and fast and so that helps me look past the only two glaring negatives (the bullet proof glass & grumpy Asian women, lol). The portions are usually just right! I LOVE their Shrimp fried rice, it has baby shrimp in EVERY spoonful and taste delicious. Also the Sweet and sour chicken is to die for, lol! The restaurant is large and pretty clean, the decor needs a little TLC in my opinion BUT the great FOOD makes up for ALL it's negatives, I can't stress that enough! Cost a little more than your average Detroit Chinese restaurant BUT worth it!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JustLoves2Travel

Detroit, Michigan
“Been eating Stanley's since I was a kid”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

I am picky eater when it comes to food and Stanley's is a great chinese place. When I was a kid there was a location near midtown which I recall had decor but they closed it down. The current location is a full service restaurant but it caters predominately to take out. The food is good but sometimes they have gotten skimpy with the portions. Aside from them using cheaper carryout containers which seem very flimsy, I have no complaints with the food. I usually get sweet and sour chicken, almond chicken, and an egg roll. I can only think of one time that the food was questionable and I simply gave Stanley's a pass. Now it is a little more expensive than most neighbor hood chinese spots but it is worth it. If you can look pass the bullet proof glass and focus on the food, it's worth it.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank klomb4
United States
“Never again!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

My first clue this was not the place to dine was the bullet-proof glass around the cashier station. Granted, the location speaks for itself, but never have I been to a restaurant that has 2 security guards and bullet-proof glass. I chose to do a carry-out instead of dine in. The food itself was terrible in my opinion. I ordered the Mongolian Beef, and my friend ordered Cashew Chicken. Yuck to both. Also ordered 2 wonton soups, which were bland tasting at best.

This place boasts being in business for over 45 years, but with the atmosphere and terrible food, who knows how longer it will remain open.

There are plenty of better, and safer, Chinese restaurants around!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles