“Great old beer and pub tavern”
Review of Jacoby's

Jacoby's
Ranked #223 of 1,138 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Been here for ever since 1904. The food is great. Sausage soup is incredible especially on a cold Michigan day. Sausages and kraut was great full of flavor. I will return again when in the area.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Me and my son visited today solely to enjoy authentic German food. We left disappointed. Mind you, I've been looking forward to eating at this place for years, dreaming of excellent German food from a bar/restaurant that's touted as being over 100 years old...don't waste your hard-earned money.

App: Kartoffelpuffer (Potato Pancakes) Pre-made (I saw the elderly lady bring them up from the basement and walk them into the kitchen) Tasted like unseasoned mashed potatoes. If this is the way they're served in Germany, then I have no complaint. Served with two sides of sour cream and applesauce in a plastic cup.

Soup: "Famous" German Sausage Soup. My biggest disappointment. This is nothing more than unseasoned tomato sauce from a can, with overcooked veggies, and some pieces of sausage in it. I asked the waitress and she said the sausage is not made on site, but shipped in from a place on the East side.

Entrees: Rindfleisch Rouladen. Top round steak, rolled around overcooked veggies, topped with a "Hunter Sauce." I bet this sauce is either shipped in or from a can. No way this is made fresh on site. It came with a side of, I believe, pickled cabbage (purple in color) which had a piece of tin foil in it. Always makes a dad happy when his child's food has tin foil in it.

Kassler Rippchen. "Thick" (lmao, not even close) smoked pork chop on a bed of sauerkraut (not sure if made on site) with a German potato salate (potatoes, mixed in with pureed potatoes and lemon juice).

The two things I can say was positive was...the staff (waitress was great and I would never blame her for the food) and the beer selection. If you want a large selection, they appear to have it. So, great happy hour place, nothing more.

1  Thank Jeremy J
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Decided to give Jacoby's a try after my 1st choice (Dakota Inn) was closed on a Monday night. Was a little aprehensive when we pulled up to the parking lot and saw only one other car... Walked in and again was second guessing my decision, thought it was just another 'bar'. Service was failry quick, however, if you're coming here to enjoy some authentic German draft brews, Mondays are not a good day to come here. Almost ALL of the draft beers were tapped out but was finally able to get a good German wheat brew.
The menu was full of genuine Austrian favorites and I settled on the Jager SchnitzelI while my colleague chose the sausage platter. I also ordered a cup of the German Sausage Soup which was VERY hearty. I was impressed with the entre and the potatoe pancakes were very flavorfull. My colleague said the sauerkraut was VERY tasty and the sausages were filling. Outside of the limited amount of drafts that were available on a Monday, I would definitely look past the 'barlike' atmosphere and sit down to a good German feast.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stop by Jacobys nearly every visit downtown as it is a short walk from Greektown and the food is fantastic! Potato pancakes are the best! Old school German surroundings in historical Detroit make for a really great space. Reasonable prices make the picture complete!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The only place in Downtown Detroit where you'll get authentic German food. I've been to Germany several times and its amazing how good their food is. Good selection of items and a great staff! Don't forget to order your German beer!