“merely o.k. experience” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sindbad's Restaurant and Marina
Ranked #99 of 1,093 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
LaSalle Ontario
“merely o.k. experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

After decades of hearing about Sindbads I finally went there for my recent birthday. Dated, (however classically-nice in my opinion) decor, which I wanted and expected. The hostess was fairly-frosty, even when we remarked that it was our first visit. We asked for a table with a "water-view" and did not receive one, even though a couple seemed available, in spite of my wife, ( against my protestations) letting her know that it was my birthday. Perhaps the better tables are for regular customers? Numerous tables came, dined, and left, in the time that we sat for our meal. Our server was pleasant and efficient, so I cannot fault him. Some of the ordered items were quite good, ( calamari, coconut shrimp, shrimp scampi ) however my seafood platter left a bit to be desired. 3 miniscule frogs legs, 4 decent-sized scallops, (2 of which were gritty, the kiss of death for scallops), 3 pieces of perch, and some large and tasty shrimp. For a $23.00 platter I expected better. The Caesar salad was massively over-dressed and pedestrian. The clam chowder was a heavy and gloopy non-descriptive mess. We started with oysters Rockefeller and they we excellent. We may return to Sindbads at some point, but we surely will not rush back. Portifino's in Wyandotte is consistently excellent, and much better value, not to mention you can actually see water, boats, etc.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CanadianShane

Birmingham, Michigan, USA
“Horrible service, dirty, and sub par food.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Sat for 30 minutes waiting for a server to acknowledge us. Alerted other wait staff and hosted that we had not been served yet - they all said someone would be with us shortly. Finally got sick of waiting and ordered food from the take out counter. If I wasn't down here for the boat races I would have ran out of this place. You would think after 60+ years of business they would know how to staff the restaurant - guess not.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Mr_Esq
“Old School Awesome Riverfront Restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We have been coming to Sinbads by boat for years. This is by far the best riverfront restaurant in metro Detroit. We love the seared scallops, the fried shrimp, the broiled perch, the seared salmon and of course the burgers! This is an old school restaurant so don't expect kale and quinoa but it is awesome. Order the Chambord Hummer for desert-Yummmy!

• Visited June 2013
Portage, Indiana
“Nice Restaurant on the River”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Went here with friends from Detroit. Was not impressed at first, but at the end of the night was very satisfied. Service was great. The food was all nicely prepared. I had the grilled scallops which were tasty and very tender. Others had steaks which they seem to be very satisfied with. All the breaded seafood was as described, lightly breaded. Frog legs, lake perch, shrimp all very good. Great views and a great atmosphere. Give it a try.

Visited June 2013
Troy, Michigan
“Consistently good over the years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have been coming here for years and most recently with a girlfriend after a day of fun attending some Detroit attractions. The service is always fast with nice wait staff. The food is always delicious and it is nice to know the meal will be great. The fried shrimp are a favorite. The shrimp are large with a light breading and so good. The clam chowder if wonderful. Valet service is a plus with pleasant staff. The view of the water and marina is nice to look at. I always look forward to going to Sinbad's.

• Visited May 2013