“Avoid At All Cost!”

American Coney Island
Ranked #53 of 1,098 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: American, Fast Food, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
McKinney, Texas
“Avoid At All Cost!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

This place was the absolute worst. We arrived late in Deroit and the doorman at The Westin directed us here for a late night meal. Terrible. Just imagine the worst hot dog with chili and onions you could ever order. My homemade hot dogs put this place to shame. Please don't waste your time!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank TXRegalQueen

estados unidos
“The other well known Detroit coney shop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

One of the original. This is the one with the website that sells the coney island fundraising kit, "you can make six dollars per kit". They just opened a second location in the burbs. Go to this one if your claustrophobic or don't want to sit with strangers. Order a coney, think about how a Greek restuarant owner made hot dogs named for a New York amusment park a Detroit institution.

• Visited January 2013
Toronto, Canada
“The Perfect Coney Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

A neck and neck battle of the Coney Dog takes place on a city corner in Detroit everyday. It is a battle for chili, a battle for hot dog supremacy. In my books, American Coney Island just edges out Lafayette Coney Island by the narrowest of margins. The chili is so smooth, the spice has a little bit of a zip that for me was the determining factor in giving the edge to American Coney Island. I also tried the chili cheese fries here and they were delicious as well. The fries were not too greasy and the cheese was plentiful an tasty. The service was extremely friendly, fast and quick to give refills on pop. The carnival like atmosphere is definitely more endearing to families, but is not as attractive as the more "grown up" Lafayette Coney Island. Here is the only way that Lafayette clearly is ahead of American. I think that is a personal preference and not the biggest of deals. It's about the food. The food at American is slightly better than that of Lafayette. The mustard on the dog gives the Coney that extra bit of edge that for me makes the Coney experience magical. It's a photo finish that people argue about. That's how close the dogs are between these two places. As I said in my review of Lafayette, it's definitely worth the trip to do a Coney experience if you are heading downtown Detroit to go to a major sporting event. You will not be disappointed. You ought to try the Coney experience once for sure! My money is for American Coney Island, but I would not hesitate to try Lafayette Coney island again!

Madrid, Spain
“Fast!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

The coney´s (in my opinion) were better than Lafayette´s. The service was extremely quick, it´s more spacious, and a lot cleaner.

Visited December 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“THE BEST cONEY i HAVE EVER HAD”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

this restaurant has been in business for over 90 years. Still owned by the same family. I am 75 years old and have eaten a lot of hotdogs. I went to the American Coney with my father, step-father and future husband. I have taken all my children there and a lot of my friends. They all agreed American is the best, not Lafayette, sorry. I moved to Toledo and still drove an hour to get my Coney fix. I live in AZ now so I have to wait till I go back on vacation but always get my American Coneys.

• Visited May 2012