“Would go back!”
Review of Pegasus Taverna

Pegasus Taverna
Ranked #28 of 1,107 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Would go back!”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I were seeing a show at the Fox and walked over to the Pegasus for dinner. It was a little bit of a walk, but downtown was busy with a Tigers game and there were plenty of people out and about.

Even though it was busy, we didn't have a long wait and were promptly seated and put our order in. The food was delicious, especially the saganaki (flaming cheese) which was a surprise delight. Just know there is a little bit of heat that initially blasts out from the big flame- it only last a few seconds though. Opa!

Our main dishes were fresh and flavorful. There were tons of servers so it seemed to me that no one was left waiting for service. I enjoyed the diversity of people, there were all ages and nationalities in that evening. Obviously this is a well liked restaurant, next time I'm downtown I'll be heading back for more flaming cheese.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Slipsa

estados unidos
“Memorable first visit”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

A busy and fun spot. We were entertained by the shouts of Opa! as the waiters ignited the plates of flaming cheese appetizers. We had to have one too! The food was about average, the portions were ample. We had about a 30 minute wait on a busy Saturday night. Many large groups were being handled with matter of fact efficiency. The open kitchen was fun to watch, even though I speak no Greek as the kitchen staff kept up with the onslaught of orders. The pastitsio was not the best I ever had but I ate every bite and washed it down with the mellow house retsina for a enjoyable Greek meal in a festive atmosphere. Next time I'm trying the lamb chops.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank latefordinner
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Super tasty and served with warmth and class”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is what a dining experience should be.

We went on the evening of an NFL game, so when we arrived, there was a one-hour wait. That alone shows how popular this restaurant is, and deservedly so.

Our waiter, an experienced, pleasant and efficient Greek fellow named Chris, brought us a bread basket and helped us decide on the best three dishes to satisfy the four of us. We chose a combination platter with lamb chops, a Plato's platter, and the lemon chicken. This enabled all of us to sample a varied selection of our favorite Greek foods.

One member of our party, not normally a fan of lamb, said that this might have been the best lamb he'd ever eaten. The lemon chicken was a delightful mix of meaty, tangy and savory. The stuffed grape leaf, served hot as I prefer, was seasoned to perfection. The eggplant in the moussaka had an interesting and satisfying darkish flavor. The pastitsio was well balanced in texture and taste. Even the dressing on the side salad drew a positive comment from one of us. Three, generous helpings of dessert were quickly polished off to end the meal.

Perhaps the best testaments to the tastiness of the food were that there was very little conversation after it was served and very little left over when we were finished.

Although the restaurant stayed packed until game time, it was not overly noisy, and we did not feel rushed in the least. Several neighboring tables ordered one of the flaming appetizers (both flaming cheese and flaming sausage are served), so we were entertained periodically by the fire and shouts of "opa!"

The prices were quite fair for food and service of this quality.

For three of us, this was the first visit to Pegasus Taverna. It has instantly entered the ranks of our favorites. We will be back!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank David W
“The best Greek food!!!”
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Used to go here when I was a kid. Moved out of state 10 years ago and this is my first visit since moving away. I forgot how good their food is. Of course we had to start with some flaming sausage (Opa!) I had their traditional gyro with plenty of extra lamb over flowing the pita. This dish was absolutely delicious. My wife ordered the stuffed grape leaves (dolma I think) and loved it! We are still craving the flavors of this restaurant and are considering making a special four hour trip back in the near future for the best Greek food in the area!

1 Thank Slau2012
Battle Creek, Michigan
“Best Lamb Shank I've ever had”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I've had the lamb shank here twice, so it wasn't a fluke. Lemony, tender delicious! I loved the vegetables that stewed with the lamb too. So good! Also huge portion so there's plenty to take home or share.

• Visited October 2012