“A must do!”

Ranked #14 of 1,138 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We came from Clarkston to Giovianni's to celebrate our birthdays. Great choice! Looking forward to our next trip here.

2  Thank Michelle824

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were lucky to be staying in Dearborn, as the bridge to Giovanni's was closed from the other direction. Our waitress was right on, picked out a wonderful vegetarian dish for us (Eggplant Parmesan) . The risotto was one of the best I ever had, as was the Tiramisu (home made).

Whenever, I come to Detroit this is definitely a place to visit. The wait staff is extremely attentive, helpful and friendly.

2  Thank RusPat_704
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I love this place. We have been there only twice, but it has moved to the top of our list of Detroit restaurants. It's not a glitzed up restaurant nor in the prettiest part of town, but the food is fantastic.

2  Thank lovestotravel4321
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I've been to many of the popular Italian restaurants in metro Detroit- Bacco, Cafe Cortina, Nico in Windsor. Some restaurants are too stiff for my liking and some are generic Italian ie Olive Garden. Giovanni is the perfect mix of finer Italian food, but also reminds me of 'comfort food'. Everything I tried was at least very good or excellent. The homemade gnocchi is sooooo good!

Not the best service, but not bad either. The chef/owner visiting our table makes up for any service shortcomings.
One thing that annoyed me like crazy is the $5.00 charge for valet. Really? We paid nearly $200.00 for our dinner... I would expect complimentary valet.

1  Thank Mira Z
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I had heard and read that Giovanni's is probably the best Italian restaurant in the Detroit area and decided to give it a shot. First and foremost, it is located in a godforsaken place right across from an industrial plant in a scary neighborhood. Secondly, the place is tired in its decor. Thirdly, the menu is nothing extraordinary while its wine selections are limited. I had been told their calamari is extraordinary.... it was terrible! I had been told their veal was out of this world.....it left a lot to be desired (my wife and I purposely ordered veal a la Romana and veal with artichokes; both dishes were exactly identical except for the sauce in one and the artichokes in the other!
It seems the Guatemalan cooks in the kitchen had not been taught the difference!!! Finally, the lady owner who goes around the tables socializing with old acqaintances, although charming, better decide to leave the place to her son who pretends to be a chef! Maybe he will give it a fresher look and kitchen. If this is what Detroit has to offer as the "best Italian" fare, thanks but NO THANKS!

6  Thank mirsar