“I dream of their gnocchi!”
Review of Giovanni's

Giovanni's
Ranked #15 of 1,132 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I love this place. We have been there only twice, but it has moved to the top of our list of Detroit restaurants. It's not a glitzed up restaurant nor in the prettiest part of town, but the food is fantastic.

2  Thank lovestotravel4321
There are newer reviews for Giovanni's

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I've been to many of the popular Italian restaurants in metro Detroit- Bacco, Cafe Cortina, Nico in Windsor. Some restaurants are too stiff for my liking and some are generic Italian ie Olive Garden. Giovanni is the perfect mix of finer Italian food, but also reminds me of 'comfort food'. Everything I tried was at least very good or excellent. The homemade gnocchi is sooooo good!

Not the best service, but not bad either. The chef/owner visiting our table makes up for any service shortcomings.
One thing that annoyed me like crazy is the $5.00 charge for valet. Really? We paid nearly $200.00 for our dinner... I would expect complimentary valet.

1  Thank Mira Z
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I had heard and read that Giovanni's is probably the best Italian restaurant in the Detroit area and decided to give it a shot. First and foremost, it is located in a godforsaken place right across from an industrial plant in a scary neighborhood. Secondly, the place is tired in its decor. Thirdly, the menu is nothing extraordinary while its wine selections are limited. I had been told their calamari is extraordinary.... it was terrible! I had been told their veal was out of this world.....it left a lot to be desired (my wife and I purposely ordered veal a la Romana and veal with artichokes; both dishes were exactly identical except for the sauce in one and the artichokes in the other!
It seems the Guatemalan cooks in the kitchen had not been taught the difference!!! Finally, the lady owner who goes around the tables socializing with old acqaintances, although charming, better decide to leave the place to her son who pretends to be a chef! Maybe he will give it a fresher look and kitchen. If this is what Detroit has to offer as the "best Italian" fare, thanks but NO THANKS!

6  Thank mirsar
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I use to work across the street from Giovanni's and had many lunches there. If youre not from the area, you will find that the restaraunt is in a sketchy looking neighborhood. While the area is not nice, the food is top notch. They have a very good wine list and at night, the ambiance is great. It is pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Six of us visited Giovannis for the first time Saturday night. We had excellent service and delicious food. The house made pasta was delicious with the pomodoro pesto sauce. The Veal with mushrooms spinach and cream sauce was tender and delicious. Others had the rolled steak with prosciutto (excellent) and chicken marsala. We were encouraged to have the appetizer tray of three items, portobello mushrooms, shrimp with risotto and calmari, all very good. However, the cost was $45 and we each got one shrimp, one small piece of mushroom and three slices of calmari. Way too skimpy a portion! Likewise the desserts were excellent but $10 for lemon ice, and $10 for a piece of grandmother's cake (aka key lime pie) was double what it shuld have cost. That helped push the total bill up to $130 for a couple. Frankly that's a lot for what we got. Next time I'll focus on the meals (fairly priced) and skip the pricey extras. But I'll go back for sure.