“16 Layer Lasagna Melts in Your Mouth!!!”
Review of Giovanni's

Giovanni's
Ranked #14 of 1,138 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have planned many dinners here for executives. So when my birthday celebration came around and we were seeing a show at The Fox Theater in Detroit, I couldn't wait to start the evening with dinner at Giovanni's. We started with the Calamari. Very lightly breaded with a delicate sauce. The calamari was tender and almost "fluffy". Absolutely delicious. Then I had the 16 layer lasagna. The pasta is all homemade. It was very thin sheets of pasta layered with the meat sauce and cheese. It was rich and divine. My husband had the boursin cheese and sundried tomato stuffed ravioli topped with jumbo lump crab and a champagne cream sauce, and our friends had cannelloni and cappelletti. Everybody was thrilled with their entrees. No matter how full we were, we couldn't pass up the dessert tray...and besides, it was my birthday. Tiramisu, Lemon Tart, Sanders Hot Fudge Cream Puff and a Cannoli were all quickly devoured. Of course we enjoyed the entire meal with fine wine and great conversation. The owner came to wish me a happy birthday and thank us for our patronage. She was delightful. The interior of the restaurant was warm and inviting - although the approach to the restaurant is not. It is totally worth the drive and the valets/security take care of your car while you are enjoying the experience. I can't wait to go back and I won't wait for my next birthday to do it.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

This was my second time having dinner at Giovanni's. Both times were superb with first rate service and the marvelous cuisine. Every bite was memorable and just a delight.
Giovanni's was the highlight of our visit to the Detroit area. It's pricey, but a good value.

2  Thank Allan G
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

We had business in Detroit yesterday which ran to lunch time. We're not from the Detroit area so, of course we checked Trip Advisor. Being the best restaurant in town, we had no choice but to give it a visit. As clearly stated in many reviews, the location is interesting but that doesn't bother those in search of the best restaurants. Having lived in the Philadelphia area in the past, I think I have a fair grip on good Italian food and atmosphere. This restaurant nailed both. However, I wonder about the culinary status of the Detroit area if this is the #1 spot in town.

Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Came here with friends for the first time, SO HAPPY we did! Enjoyable night...from the peppers & sausage appetizer to the delicious cannolis for dessert. The lasagna is the BEST! We had the pleasure of talking to the owner Frances for some time and definitly have found a new friend. It's a 90 minute drive for us but we'll worth every mile!!!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

A culinary oasis in the middle of a burned-out neighborhood in the shadow of the oil refineries.....Detroit Rust Belt Chic. There is secure valet parking on a main street, and this is welcome. The menu was robust, and so were the prices. BUT, the food lived up to the billing: my dining companion and I shared a caprese salad to start, and we both had one of the evening specials, the halibut. This main course was prepared beautifully: the fish was wonderful and a generous portion; the risotto was creamy and delicious; the grilled garlic spinach perfectly crunchy (so many places overdo it, or the spinach is droopy in garlic). We were too full for dessert--but the tray looked scrumptious. The only pitfall was in the beginning==we were greeted by multiple servers-in succession-and they were very confused by my beverage order of sparkling water....it took several takes for them to understand that I did not want a carbonated beverage. But that is a minor glitch. The service overall from the primary server was attentive and gracious. I would definitely return to this restaurant again.