“Customer knows best?!”
Review of Giovanni's

Giovanni's
Ranked #14 of 1,138 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I were very excited to try Giovanni's for the first time, as we had heard many great things about the restaurant. Our first impression was great...we were greeted by one of the owner's which we thought was fantastic! She was so warm and friendly. Things went downhill from there. Our waitress, Dawn, was too busy waiting on a larger table and definitely gave us the impression that they were priority, not us. Isn't this a mom and pop type of restaurant where service is key?! She was continually abrupt to us and often times rude. The food wasn't much better. We won't go back.

1  Thank MShoppes

Reviewed April 7, 2013

There are a lot of good Italian restaurants. This is a great Italian restaurant. From the appetizer to the dessert, everything was simply delicious. Freshly made salad dressings, sauces and desserts, homemade pasta and outstanding service make for a great dining experience. Located in a post-industrial area of buildings mostly boarded up or falling down, Giovanni's is truly a rose blooming in the wasteland. We live over a hundred miles away and will definitely be back.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Excellent food and service. I had the veal dish and my wife had the sirloin with prochuto. Owner talked with us and explained history and the chef. Great experience.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I brought the lady in my life here for a romantic evening and Giovanni's did not disappoint from start to finish.

We were about 20 minutes early for our reservation, but werestill seated moments after arriving. I was able to inform Fran, the owner, that I had 2 dozen roses & a vase hidden in my car that needed to be assembled & arranged. She acquired them from the valet, assembled them, adding get own greenery to the arrangement & had them to the table within 15 minutes. That's personal service ondoes not receive every day!

The food was exquisite. The lovely lady I was with truly enjoyed the veal, which was quite tender, topped with asparagus & crab meat. I ordered a featured item, sea bass in a lemon cream served with risotto
. It was simply delicious & melted in my mouth. We had a bottle of Italian Soave with our dinner, which I thought was reasonably priced. We shared a fresh piped cannolli thatcouldn't have been any creamier.

I need to mention the entire staff was polite and aimed to please. Dawn, our server, was attentive and very knowledgeable. We drove an hour one way to go to this wonderful gem for the first time and I know we'll do it again.

Arles

2  Thank Cyclist21
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Food and Service the way it used to be.
The people working there make it obvious they there to care care of you .From the Valet to the Wait Service to the Owner walking around to see how everything is going.
And the food is excellent. Great presentation, very fresh, excellently prepared and good size portions.
A great place to take someone for a good meal where you won't have to worry about a thing.

1  Thank Victor C

Been to Giovanni's? Share your experiences!