“What you see is not what you always get”
Review of Bai Mai Thai

Bai Mai Thai
Ranked #486 of 1,132 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed January 24, 2014

The staff is very friendly at this restaurant so it pains me to write a so-so review but i can't tell you how many times I have gone there now and ordered something based upon the menu description and gotten something all together different. They do not use coconut milk as stated on the menu but half-n-half. As someone who has dairy issues this is a VERY important distinction and should be spelled out on the menu - don't say it's coconut milk when in fact it's milk and cream! On that note a vegan and/or gluten free designation on the menu items would help also. Our table also ordered soup expecting to get pork and wonton noodles but instead got something with chicken and vegetables. When questioned, the server said they were out of pork. I think they ought to tell you that upfront. I guess they figure folks will just eat what they get. I ordered a noodle dish (standard fair for Thai food). It was gross. The noodles were all chopped up - I don't even want to think what that was all about and the dish was way too salty, in fact way too much of everthing. I guess I will not be going back again. There are better Thai restaurants around town.

There are newer reviews for Bai Mai Thai

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Food taste and quality was average. I have tasted more authentic Thai food so could make out the difference. It was not bad though! Worth trying it once.

Apple L, Owner at Bai Mai Thai, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2014

I'm disappointed to see that we didn't blow you away more with our food. If you ever have any feedback about how we can improve for the future, please feel free to reach out and let us know -- we'd love to hear it.

Have a great day,

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Live in the nearby Lafayette Towers, so we've gone here multiple times for dinner or lunch. The owner is really friendly, and the portions are a really good deal. Plan on going back many times.

We're happy to have made a regular out of you, Pat! I'm sorry that it took a while to respond, but now we're officially up and running on TripAdvisor. Hope to see you again soon!

Best,

Reviewed October 3, 2013

The interior is nice and the staff was friendly & attentive. The food I had was very good and I had leftovers from my lunch portion for another lunch after that. This was my first time here and I enjoyed my meal and dining experience. It was very good, but not the best Thai I have ever had. I would go back, especially if I am in the area. As someone from outside the city, it's a bit of a drive for me, but with a 'groupon' like deal I would be back. I recommend it to anyone thinking about Thai in Detroit and in that area. The staff and restaurant are better than many Thai restaurants I have been too. I ordered medium + for my spice level and my first reaction was that it wasn't too spicy - until my lips and tounge began to tingle. I felt that the portions vs price ratio were good.

Leftovers are the best, aren't they? I'm glad that you enjoyed your food and feel that the portions are fair. Thanks for your recommendation! I apologize for the delayed response, but now we're officially up and running on Trip Advisor. Hopefully we see you again soon!

All the best,

Reviewed June 18, 2013

My first experience here was to do take out. I ordered their vegetarian noodles and thought it was decent. Just went back with my wife and we both ordered vegetable dishes with curry. Bland with no flavor other than some mild kick from the curry but if it wasn't for that minor spice, it would have been like not knowing what we were eating since there was NO flavor. The only pleasant experience was the waitress since she wore a great smile. Will not ever go back there since there is likely better Thai food in Detroit.

Apple L, Owner at Bai Mai Thai, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2014

We're sorry to hear you had a pretty bland time with us your second time around! This really doesn't happen often for us, so thank you for bringing it to our attention! I'll send your review to my kitchen team so they can do a spicier job next time. I hope you get the chance to give us another shot in the future!

All the best,