“Hilton Garden Inn Robbery - NO HELP”

Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Hilton Garden Inn Robbery - NO HELP”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Not sure why I haven't posted a review on here sooner but I think now is the time. Today is 8/8/2010 almost one year from when a good friend of mine and I were robbed while sleeping at this hotel. We were at this hotel for a convention with dateline NBC's Chris Hansen when this incident took place. This hotel was chosen by our television station as an ideal location given the event we were attending. We checked into this hotel with what seemed to be a pleasant staff. We got to our room, unpacked and went on with our plans for the night. I have to say that our dinner with Chris was AMAZING, amazing man, and BILL BONDS was a highlight as well. After arriving back to the hotel that night, myself and a couple friends relaxed in our room watching you tube videos (on my brand new mac book pro), reading headlines, etc.. We all decided it was time to go to bed shortly after 1:30 am. I closed my mac book and placed it on the night stand. As we slept that evening, I remember waking up very groggy feeling to a faint noise. I looked up and saw someone standing at the foot of the bed..... "I should note that the other individual staying with us was in the room adjacent to ours and was the friend who socialized with us that evening." For some reason I thought little of the individual, probably wondering if it was the friend next door or my friend in the room. I laid my head on the pillow slightly and remember watching the individual in front of me. This person slowly moved to the far side window area of the room and laid down on the floor in a resting position. In my weary state I believed it to be either the friend in my room or the friend next door wanting to take a quick rest (crazy what you think when your tired). When we woke up that morning around 7, we had our Macbook ($2500.00), Flip Cam ($300.00), and misc peripherals stolen totaling almost $3400.00. We all three sat down to gather our thoughts and recap what could have happened..... NOTHING ADDED UP!!! Everything was in place and was where it should have been. We did nothing out of the ordinary. That morning was hell, I have never fought like that with 2 of my best friends in my life. All of us suspected each other because how could a stranger get into our room??? Finally we all calmed down, discussed the situation and called the front desk. They played the situation off like it was no big deal. We called the police and filed a report. They spoke with the hotel staff who made it sound like we were tyring to lie about this. This was very discouraging. If anything I would have thought the hotel would be compassionate especially considering how emotional we were. Unfortunately they were totally opposite, they wanted nothing to do with it and gave us a small insurance form to fill out. We requested access card times and more with skewed responses for the following two months. Their insurance company contacted us questioning our legitimacy offering very strange access card times. Then a manger contacted us with other key card times which didn't match the insurance companies. This individual had little concern and pushed us off to their legal department. The whole experience with this company has been a mess. My last contact with them was in February of this year and they again refused to release any information regarding our stay at the hotel. Please be cautious when staying at this hotel. There are NO CAMERAS in hallways and I have hear through the grape vine some issues concerning internal employees. If you have similar experiences at this location or any Hilton Garden please let me know.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
6 Thank nksmith238

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Park Ridge
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Visited with my family to see a Tigers game and it was the perfect location -- two block walk to the stadium (and a nice stadium at that). The hotel was nothing special -- clean, basic rooms, small and occasionally crowded pool -- but everyone I met was attentive and friendly, including Darrell at the front desk. I would have probably given the hotel four stars instead of three if I had paid, say, $99 a night instead of the $179 (+ $20 parking) I did pay. I am sure that is dictated by the downtown Detroit hotel market but I considered the $225 total I paid for one night (no free breakfast) expensive for what you get. If you can get a good rate here however, I recommend this hotel, especially for Lions or Tigers games!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
HGIDD, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, October 21, 2016
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciate the feedback. We hope you'll stay with us in the future.
Acworth, Georgia
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for one night to attend a Detroit Tigers baseball game at Comerica Park on our way home from Canada. The hotel is in great walking distance to Comerica Park and Ford Field. The hotel staff was extremely nice and helpful and game days seem to be busy. We had a suite with a pullout sofa which only made a twin bed which worked since we only have one child. The rooms are quite old and a bit dated but were very clean and workable. We felt very safe the whole time. The only issue is that the next day when we tried to have a look at Detroit, the city is very depressed. Most of the traffic lights downtown were turned off and the people mover was not operating. We visited GM Headquarters and to see GM World and everything was locked up and very desserted for a Saturday afternoon. The city seemed so sad and has such potential. We would never visit again except to drop in for a ball game. The hotel was great though and if we ended up in Detroit again, we would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Fepeaux
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciate the feedback. We're sorry you didn't enjoy Detroit. Our city has been and is currently going through another revitalization and is a great city. We hope you'll consider staying with us in the future.
denver
Reviewed July 11, 2010

Stayed one Friday night with brother. We parked our car at 5pm and walked to all attractions. You can see Ford Field from the front door. Walked to Tiger game at Tiger Stadium (next to Ford Field). Walked to gambling, and restaurants. Never felt unsafe. Room was standard rate at about $100. Did not eat or drink at the hotel. If you are going to a game, excellent place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank lovies
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciate the feedback. We hope to be at your service the next time you are in Detroit.
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I should say that I'm not a Hilton fan to begin with-- I don't like the idea that Paris inherits the money I spend to stay at their properties. That aside, I chose this hotel specifically for its location-- it is walking-distance to St. Andrew's Hall and to all the yummy restaurants in Greektown. If you're trying to save money, don't pay $20 to valet your car. When they went to get ours, we watched them pull out of a space in the lot adjacent to the hotel where we could have paid $4 to self-park. The jacuzzi was kind of small, the pool was very cold, and the shower tiles weren't the cleanest. But the room had a mini-fridge for leftovers, the bed was comfortable, and the staff was very nice. It's a give-and-take.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tuesdayiminlove
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciate the feedback and have addressed the cleanliness issues. Paris Hilton is no longer associated with the Hilton Brand so don't worry you not giving her any money :). The parking lots adjacent to us are for day parking only and do not offer overnight parking and unlimited in and out privileges. We hope you'll stay with us in the future.
Lorain, Ohio
Reviewed April 4, 2010

We started out just looking for an inexpensive room for an overnight get away. We ended up with a hotel we intend to stay at again and again. The room was one of the cleanest rooms I have stayed in, including 5 star hotels. The staff was some of the friendliest, most helpful folks ever. The bed was sleep number bed so absolute comfort. Even the soaps and shampoo were a high end brand name, better than we brought with us. (lol on us)

The hotel is just blocks from Comerica Park, Ford Field, Greektown Casino and the Fox Theater. If you are attending events at any of these venues, I highly recommend the Hilton.

Yes, you do have to pay $20.00 for the valet parking. But, other hotels with free parking were more than $20.00 per night. There are other parking options in the area if you want to check those out. but a few dollars more for the convenience was worth it to us. You do get in and out privileges with that, so you can leave and come back for the same cost.

Highly recommended, please give them a try.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AngelafromOhio
HGIDETROIT, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
Thank you, We take great pride in our hotel and try to make sure every guest has a great stay.
Washington DC
Reviewed March 18, 2010

I have to go to Detroit a few times a year for business purposes and I always stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. In general, Hilton Garden Inns are good bets for business travelers because most contain the following: free Internet access, microwave, fridge, VERY comfortable bedding, quiet guests (who are also business travelers and not partiers), fitness center and pool. The one in Detroit has a breakfast "diner" that serves the typical breakfast fare--I always get pancakes and the fresh fruit.

The staff at this particular Garden Inn are very courteous and accommodating. One hotel desk manager was especially kind--I think his name was Dwayne perhaps? Staff were very helpful and responsive.

The hotel is located in a somewhat odd area, but all areas of Detroit are kind of "odd" at this point in time. The city is riddled with closed-down shops and restaurants. Each section of the city is hit-or-miss on each block. The Hilton Garden Inn is within walking distance to Comerica Park and Ford Field. Game nights tend to attract rowdier guests. The hotel is also within walking distance to a CVS, Ben and Jerry's, and the Hard Rock Cafe. Just ask hotel staff to point you in the right direction.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business