Not sure why I haven't posted a review on here sooner but I think now is the time. Today is 8/8/2010 almost one year from when a good friend of mine and I were robbed while sleeping at this hotel. We were at this hotel for a convention with dateline NBC's Chris Hansen when this incident took place. This hotel was chosen by our television station as an ideal location given the event we were attending. We checked into this hotel with what seemed to be a pleasant staff. We got to our room, unpacked and went on with our plans for the night. I have to say that our dinner with Chris was AMAZING, amazing man, and BILL BONDS was a highlight as well. After arriving back to the hotel that night, myself and a couple friends relaxed in our room watching you tube videos (on my brand new mac book pro), reading headlines, etc.. We all decided it was time to go to bed shortly after 1:30 am. I closed my mac book and placed it on the night stand. As we slept that evening, I remember waking up very groggy feeling to a faint noise. I looked up and saw someone standing at the foot of the bed..... "I should note that the other individual staying with us was in the room adjacent to ours and was the friend who socialized with us that evening." For some reason I thought little of the individual, probably wondering if it was the friend next door or my friend in the room. I laid my head on the pillow slightly and remember watching the individual in front of me. This person slowly moved to the far side window area of the room and laid down on the floor in a resting position. In my weary state I believed it to be either the friend in my room or the friend next door wanting to take a quick rest (crazy what you think when your tired). When we woke up that morning around 7, we had our Macbook ($2500.00), Flip Cam ($300.00), and misc peripherals stolen totaling almost $3400.00. We all three sat down to gather our thoughts and recap what could have happened..... NOTHING ADDED UP!!! Everything was in place and was where it should have been. We did nothing out of the ordinary. That morning was hell, I have never fought like that with 2 of my best friends in my life. All of us suspected each other because how could a stranger get into our room??? Finally we all calmed down, discussed the situation and called the front desk. They played the situation off like it was no big deal. We called the police and filed a report. They spoke with the hotel staff who made it sound like we were tyring to lie about this. This was very discouraging. If anything I would have thought the hotel would be compassionate especially considering how emotional we were. Unfortunately they were totally opposite, they wanted nothing to do with it and gave us a small insurance form to fill out. We requested access card times and more with skewed responses for the following two months. Their insurance company contacted us questioning our legitimacy offering very strange access card times. Then a manger contacted us with other key card times which didn't match the insurance companies. This individual had little concern and pushed us off to their legal department. The whole experience with this company has been a mess. My last contact with them was in February of this year and they again refused to release any information regarding our stay at the hotel. Please be cautious when staying at this hotel. There are NO CAMERAS in hallways and I have hear through the grape vine some issues concerning internal employees. If you have similar experiences at this location or any Hilton Garden please let me know.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Entertainment District, we are near Comerica Park, Ford Field, Little Caesar Arena, Michigan Opera Theater, the Music Hall and much more. Just two blocks from Greektown, you will find we are surrounded by shops and restaurants. Local businesses and corporate offices within walking distance to our hotel include Quicken Loans, Meridian Health, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, General Motors, and DTE Energy ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Priceline, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown Hotel Detroit
- Detroit Hilton Garden Inn
- Hilton Detroit