“Stay away from this hotel!”

Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Denver, Colorado
“Stay away from this hotel!”
Reviewed August 16, 2005

I had a confirmed reservation I made a month in advance for Tuesday the 9th. I was flying in late and I called the day before to confirm that late check-in wasn't an issue and was told that I was fine as long as I arrived by 2:00 AM. When I did arrive, I was told that my room wasn't available. They gave me a number of possible explinations:

-"We may have given your room to a diamond rewards member." (this isn't valid because they have to book 48 hours in advance and they should have told me this when I called on Monday)

-"Our system doesn't keep track of reservations very well." (this may be true, but you'd think a larger chain would have decent software)

-"The people at the front desk might have messed up." (I don't even know how to answer this one)

-"Someone may have not checked out on their scheduled date and our policy is to not force them to do so." (This seems very unfair. I do the right thing and make my reservation far in advance and call to confirm the day before, but some other guy gets to keep my room???)

They ultimately found a holiday inn on the other side of town for me at about 1:30 AM, but it was dingy and the AC didn't work well. I ended up getting about three hours sleep before a number of business meetings on Wed. After all of this, I may never stay at a Hilton again.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
10 Thank DenverWing
HGIDD, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, October 21, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We apologize for this experience. Hilton has a great offer now of e-checkin and we recommend it to guests to insure your guest room and you get to choose which floor. We hope you'll reconsider staying wiith us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 4, 2005

If your traveling to Detroit Michigan, look no further than the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Detroit. This place is the BEST in the city! So new, clean and moden, we just loved it. We were in town for a ball game at Tiger Stadium and the location was wonderful. We have stayed at Hilton Hotels around the country and none can be compared to this one!

Stayed June 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to be at your service the next time you are in Detroit.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 3, 2005

The hotel room was nice and clean and I found the high speed internet acces very helpful for my work. But I was shocked when I got to see the bill on check-out. They had charged me between $13.50 and $16.20 for each of the seven ten-second phone calls to Germany that I had made to be called back. In all I had to pay over $100.00 for these seven calls that would have cost under 30 cents from a private telephone and about $4.00 from my cellular. I felt very badly fleeced!

The hotel staff told me it's "not against the law" and they were not obliged to give the rates for overseas calls or warn against exorbitant prices. Wow, then it must be all right. I was just stupid to trust Hotel Garden Inns as a business partner. But never again!

Stayed June 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We sorry to hear your experience wasn't great. Our phone charges are based on what the phone service provider charges us which landlines companies do charge a lot. We apologize that it wasn't communicated properly. We hope you'll consider staying with us again.
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 27, 2005

Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown for one night on business and was very pleasantly surprised. I've stayed in many HGI's before, but this one, open just a year, was a half-notch above the others. Room was very clean and comfortable and there was a small gym and swimming pool on the lower level. The restaurant off the lobby was quite good - nice steak in a funkier setting than I'd expect from this hotel chain. Valet parking was available for $20/night.

Added bonus for sports fans. This place is right downtown, easy walking distance to both Comerica Park and Ford Field.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank awelch2000
Sylvania, OH
Reviewed March 20, 2005

We stayed here in early March, 2005 on a spur of the moment get away night from the cold and snowy weather of Sylvania Ohio. (Ok, it wasn't any warmer or any less snowy in Detroit, but it still felt good to get away nonetheless!) We arrived at the hotel and found the front desk staff to be friendly and helpful. Our room was very clean, and spacious and had a fridge, coffee pot, and microwave. The bathroom was large and also very clean. After dropping our gear, we took the short walk to Greek Town Casino, where we spent a few hours gambling, and had dinner at the fabulous Pegasus restaurant. After dinner we found a new irish pub nearby, The Cock and Bull (I think that's the name anyway) which turned out to be great fun! Great entertainment, Guinness & Harp on tap..and a short walk back to the hotel. This hotel is great if you are doing anything downtown. The next day, we enjoyed our free breakfast (using a Hilton Bounce Back rate) and headed over past Comerica Park to Ford Field for an RV show. The location was great! The valet parking guy even let us keep our car on the lot after we checked out, so we didn't have to pay for parking again! Overall, a great experience! This place is a gem! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2005
8 Thank Lindymagoo
Harbor Springs, Michigan
Reviewed January 18, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel many times. I have found the staff to be very friendly and the rooms are very clean. This is a brand new hotel which was desperatly needed in this area. It is very close walking distance to alot of things to see and do. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed February 2005
4 Thank suzieh1
North Dakota
Reviewed January 18, 2005

This is a great hotel. Very Clean and convenient to downtown.

• Stayed January 2005