“Very good”

Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Staff was amazing! Hot tub was broken when we were there, staff discounted room for us. Pool was nice little small but oh well. Bar was cool, great food. Room was nice, bed was VERY uncomfortable- only complaint!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
HGIDD, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2016

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback and hope to be at your service again in the future!

Reviewed November 30, 2013

This hotel is relatively new and is located within 5 minutes of the USA/Canada tunnel. It's was to get to and a great place to stay if you are spending your time downtown.
A group of us recently stayed at the Garden Inn while visiting Detroit for an NFL game. It's within two blocks of Ford Field and Comerica Park and restaurants and bars are all within walking distance.

The hotel itself is clean and has two restaurants which are quite adequate. The hotel also offers valet parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors as street noise can be a distraction
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown while attending the Skate America figure skating competition.

First the positives about this hotel. It is located in a great area convenient to Detroit nightlife and attractions. You could literally walk to Ford Field and Comerica Park. You are also just a couple short blocks from the People Mover which will get you around downtown for next to nothing. The rooms are nice and spacious as you would expect at a Garden Inn. Everything was very clean and well maintained. The bathroom was spotless. All the decor was modern and fresh. There was a great bar and restaurant in the hotel and both times I went in for drinks and dinner the bartender/waitress was very chatty and nice. The hotel is also nice located to several bars and restaurants in the immediate area.

However this hotel had some quirks and negatives. First the price was a bit stiff. I had a bit of discount having booked through the Hilton HHonors website but still felt the price a bit on the high end for a Garden Inn. The staff working the front desk often seemed more concerned about their own social life and gossip and seemed annoyed with people checking in or asking questions. I had my car with me so I had to park...they only offered fairly expensive valet service. There wasn't a self-park option. Finally, the proximity to Ford Field doubled as a curse as the hotel allowed tail-gaiting to take place in their parking lot. I checked out of the hotel on a Sunday at 11:00a and it took me almost an hour to get my car and get out of the lot due to the congestion prior to the Lions game.

All in I felt the hotel was a good place to stay and the convenience allowed me to look past some of the negatives.

Room Tip: If you are attending a Lions or Tigers game, this is your place! If not, beware the Sunday jam for...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback so we can better service our guests and hope to be at your service again in the future!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Clean rooms...(beds are a little hard..but you can adjust ...I didn't quite figure out how though)
Speedy service...great food in the bar....great with special diet accommodations.
Morning -the buffet was good....lots of variety and served hot.
Best feature-"The staff" ...They are wonderful from the front desk to the cleaning ladies. They remembered us from being there 6 months earlier and it felt like we were returning home to see old friends.
Close to the Fox Theatre and Ford Field. This is definitely my hotel of choice when I visit Chicago with my friends and children.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Exceptional service, great food. Not thrilled with level of noise in the room. Did not report it since I was staying only one night. Noise was from heating/ airconditioning system primarily. Fitness center was clean and well maintained.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Clean with helpful conveniences, like a microwave in the room and laundry facilities. Otherwise, I didn't particularly like this place. The service was lacking. When calling the front desk from my room, there were a couple of times that I just couldn't get through. There was only one person answering phones and checking in guests so there was no possible way to handle everything efficiently. One day, my room was bypassed by the cleaning staff. I took my Do Not Disturb sign off the door at around 10:30 AM and left for the day, returning at 5:30 PM or so. My room hadn't been touched. I called the front desk and was told that someone would come up to clean it. A man appeared a few minutes later with towels and the box of kleenex I mentioned I needed and, again, I told him that the front desk indicated someone would be coming to actually service the room; not just drop off the items I needed. He said that would be fine and someone would be sent to clean the room. When I left my room over an hour later, I mentioned to the front desk attendant that, still, no one had arrived to clean. She apologized and told me they were gone for the night. I don't think anyone would be miserable here but don't expect much.

Room Tip: If you're close to the elevator, like I was, you'll definitely hear it. This sort of thing...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ALCConnecticut
HGIDETROIT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thank you for your stay, and taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize for our efforts during your stay. Your description of the events was not up to our standards here at the hotel, and I have forwarded to our front desk and housekeeping managers for further review. We take our guest feedback very seriously here and use it to improve.

David Kipfmiller

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Recently stayed here for one night, the beds were hard as a rock. I would have rather slept in my car. For the price paid it was awful and no one got any sleep. We had a group with 3+ rooms and no one slept well. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Michelle J
HGIDETROIT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay. I was sorry to read about the poor night sleep you endured. It appears we may have failed to explain that the beds in all our guest rooms are adjustable for firmness. Each guest room features Hilton Guest Sleep system bed which can be adjusted for a softer for firmer bed preference. I hope that you will consider trying the bed again.

David Kipfmiller