“About that neighborhood...”

Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Ohio
“About that neighborhood...”
Reviewed July 9, 2008

I stayed in one room with our two daughters, and our friends stayed in a separate room, during late March 2008. We were in town for the NCAA regionals at Ford Field, and this hotel was a very convenient choice.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with this hotel itself - other than the fact they were renovating the restaurant during our stay and serving nothing but a weak continental breakfast. Rooms were adequate, staff was reasonably responsive, valet parking worked okay, etc. My biggest complaint was that I could not find anywhere in the hotel to buy a newspaper on a Sunday morning.

If you are going to events somewhere in the two blocks surrounding the hotel, I suppose it makes sense to stay here. It's certainly safe to walk to and from Ford Field or Comerica Park at game times. But at other times (especially after dark), one should be quite careful. Our daughters were freaked out a bit by the (often aggressive) panhandlers. Our party of five was accosted three times in less than one block as we walked back to the hotel from dinner one evening.

• Liked — Close to sporting venues
  • Disliked — Questionable neighborhood after dark
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank jeffsm5111
HGIDD, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, October 21, 2016
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciate the feedback. We're sorry you didn't feel safe in the area. The hotel is close to many major attractions in a great part of downtown. Our area has been and is currently going through another revitalization as the area becomes more popular. We hope you'll stay with us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed May 1, 2008

The Hilton Garden Inn Detroit is a newer Garden Inn - very modern and clean. It's walking distance to some decent restaurants, which you need because the restaurant was out of service when I was there. You can't really lose with this hotel if you need to stay downtown. Nicer than some "higher end" Hilton's.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank PK_in_KC
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciate the feedback. We're sorry you didn't get to enjoy the restaurant during your stay, we were changing restaurants at the time and again apologize for the inconvenience. We hope to be at your service the next time you are in Detroit.
of many places
Reviewed February 23, 2008

My colleagues and I stayed here for 3 nights on business in February. In a nutshell, the positives were:

-Large rooms equipped with a fridge, microwave and coffee maker
-Free wireless internet
-Clean
-Laundry room, gym, and a pool
-Fair value for location and facilities

On the minus column:

-Windows do not open at all in the rooms. I do find that this is becoming more common in the lower-end properties of big chain hotels. It is a big issue for me as I like to have some fresh air in the room once in a while and especially when housekeeping uses sprays to which I am often allergic. The air inside the room felt very stale.

-To exacerbate the problem above, the heating/temp control system is poorly designed: you cannot shut it off at all. You can either set it to heat or cool by adjusting the temperature. Warm or cool air (depending on the temperature setting) blew through the vents periodically with gusto, drying out the air completely. This, together, with the loud noise generated by the system, made it very difficult for me to sleep through the night uninterrupted.

-Bedding: the flimsy bed sheet and lightweight polyester blanket (both similar to ones usually found in less expensive motels) were inadequate for winters in Detroit. Because of this, I was compelled to set the heating system at a high temperature which resulted in a massive sinus headache the next morning

-Inconsistent wait staff service, limited choices and lackluster food quality at the restaurant. We chose to dine there because of time constraint/schedule issues. The service during the lunch hours was fine but a dinner on Friday night was served by an incredibly incompetent waitress (wrong order/ignorance about the menu items/ excruciatingly slow).

I'd say I may return only if staying for a night or two, and if as on this particular trip, the proximity to the Music Hall is important.

Stayed February 2008
3 Thank Tranquila
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciate the feedback. We recommend that if you do have severe allergies, please note it on your reservation so we can make sure not to use cleaners that might irritate your allergies. You can do that at any hotel and they will make sure the room is more allergy friendly. We hope you'll stay with us in the future.
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed February 3, 2008

I stayed here the first week I was in Detroit for a multi-week project as I am HHonor Diamond member. The staff showed no appreciation of the Diamond part- no upgrade or bottled water in the room. The hotel is 6 scary blocks from RenCen and riverfront. (Good location if your destination is Ford Field or Comerica Park) Parking was not included (extra $ 20 a night but you can find other lots for much less). The exercise room is small- went there twice and the treadmills were busy. The breakfast at the restaurant was so so. The rooms are clean but not cosy. I got a status match from Marriott and stayed at the Marriott RenCen for the rest of the project.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank NilesD72
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We appreciate the feedback. We're sorry you didn't feel safe in our wonderful city. We are located in a major city where parking is limited and comes at a price. We do not own the parking lot and purchase the parking spots for our guests. We hope you'll stay with us in the future.
Alabama, USA
Reviewed July 7, 2007

This is a nice new property within short walking distance to Comerica Park and Ford Field.

We considered booking the Marriott in the Renaissance Center, but opted for this hotel because of its proximity to the ballpark.

Front desk service was very friendly and helpful. The room was nice and new.

This is Detroit, of course, and that brings up the only problem. There was a panhandler hassling guests in the parking area right outside the hotel. A hotel valet-parking attendant was there, but he didn't do say anything to the homeless guy or even seem to care. Later, the panhandler snuck into the breakfast buffet area, presumably planning to do a dash-and-dine.

• Stayed July 2007
4 Thank ewoo
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciate the feedback. We are located in a major city and we do have the same issues in the city as any other major city like Chicago or New York. We do our best to make our guests feel comfortable. We hope to be at your service the next time you are in Detroit.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 25, 2007

I recently stayed one night at the Hilton Garden Detroit with my 14 year old daughter who will be studying dance for a month at Wayne State University. Derrell at the front desk was the essence of perfection during the check in. The room was very cleanly and had a great view of the huge GM Tower off in the distance. We ate in the Hunters ........restaurant/bar which was decorated really cool. The food was great, the service staff not so cool as they seemed annoyed. The only problem with the room was that it faced the main street on a Saturday night with the Greektown Casino just across the street. While I loved our view, there was constant honking and cars screeching all night. We ordered dessert for room service and the young lady who brought it up seemed completely annoyed. At least paying 18% tip, you'd think you could get a tiny smile. Maybe this stuff seems petty, but after flying all day I would have loved to have had a Derrell waiting on me at the front desk, in the restaurant and bringing us our dessert too. He should get a raise for his customer service skills! Sincerely, A Trip Advisor Fan

• Liked — Close proximity to our final destination
  • Disliked — Uptight waiters and non friendly room service delivery
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Balconylove
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciate the feedback. The Hunter House is no longer here and we invite you to check out our great staff. We hope you'll stay with us in the future.
Maryland
Reviewed October 2, 2006

After a last minute decision to see the Tigers try to clinch a divsion title (they failed, in case your not a baseball fan), I tried to find a hotel in a safe area of Detroit. I was able to book cheapee tickets (Southwest and Airtran were offering $49/night each way), find baseball tickets online, and just needed the hotel. I knew NOTHING about Detroit, but had some rewards points to use at Hilton, so I searched their site. The site promised the hotel was in a safe area near the stadium. I ooked a room with 2 double beds online. When I called the day before to make sure i could get a roll-away bed (Kids are boy and girl, all 3 of us needed our own beds), I was told the room was too small for it.
Since I am a diamond level member of Hilton Honors, i asked for an upgrade to a suite. I was told there were none avail. and the suites at this hotel only had a king bed anyway. However, they did offer me a handicap room which was suppose to be big enough for the cot.

We flew in and cabbed into the city ($50 with tax, btw) and pulled up to the hotel. From the outside I thought I would not be thrilled, but it was just one night. However, the inside was very nice. You walk into a small lobby that has a dual sided gas fireplace. You pass their restaurant and the desk is in front of you. As promised we did get the handicap room. It was VERY large - much nicer than expected. We could have put 3 cots in the room with no problem. The only thing that made this a handicap room was bars around the shower and a detachable showerhead. No low walls, no stall. Very nice.

I would recommend this location. Actually, most of the ''renewed' area of the city was fine. There is a monorail (they call it a people mover) steps from the hotel, but in reality you don't need it. We walked around both of the stadiums (the lions play across the street), down to greektown (really just one block long, but we found a terrific restaurant at the end of the block - and do NOT miss the pastry shoppe - did I mention our room had a fridge in it), down to the ren. center, and a bit more of the town.

Warning - even thought the cab was expensive, I don;t recommend renting a car. Their isn't alot of parking in the area, and the hotel parking was $20 overnight.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank Statmans
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciate the feedback. We're also glad that we were able to get a room that fit your needs. We hope to be at your service the next time you are in Detroit.