“Excellent Value”

Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Excellent Value”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This place has an excellent Government rate. I highly recommend for any military travelers to stay here. I checked in on a Thursday when the hotel wasn't very busy and the guy at the desk gave me an awesome room on the top floor overlooking Comerica Park, and he thanked me for my military service. I had a long couple days of travel and the guy offered me some travel-sized toothpaste and other items from the back. I wish I could remember his name because he deserves personal recognition.

Other great things about the room:

1) The room was very spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable.

2) Valet was fast and gave great directions.

3) Location was ideal. I was able to see so much of downtown during my stay, as you can walk almost anywhere downtown. The city itself is extremely impressive. From what I had heard, I thought Detroit would be a crime-ridden wasteland, but I ended up having an amazing time and taking a bunch of cool pictures and meeting awesome people. I am definitely coming back at my earliest opportunity and staying here again.

4) I stayed during a weekend where there was the Electronic Music Festival, so the hotel was packed with party goers. I could here loud music in the hallway a few times, but the walls in my room kept any noise from bothering me. I didn't even notice the people partying across the hall after I closed my door.

If I had to point out things that could be changed, it would be:

1) the elevators are dated, but it doesn't really matter as long as they work.

2) Upon receiving my bill under my door, I noticed I was charged for parking when it was included in my rate. Upon showing the erroneous charges to the desk, they quickly removed the charges.

3) The breakfast buffet is strange. The hot food is arranged in what appears to be a self-serve system, but you have to ask the server to prepare your plate. The portions were plenty and they prepare omelets and pancakes upon request, so it is still good, it's just not really a buffet.

Overall, this is one of the top hotels I have stayed at for the money.

2 Thank navykangaroo
HGIDD, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, October 21, 2016
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to be at your service the next time you are in Detroit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Perry, Georgia, United States
Reviewed May 25, 2013

this hilton garden inn is one of the best that i have stayed in. very clean and comfortable. stay was very friendly throughout our entire 4 night stay. will definately be staying again next year!!! thank you

Room Tip: request of view of the GM building!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
United States
Reviewed May 14, 2013

With sporting events geared toward adults, its sometimes hard to find a good place to eat with kids, the staff at this hotel knew this and made a wonderful recommendation for after game dinner! Thank goodness he was so well aware of the local fare and how to get there- he saved the night!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciate the feedback. We hope you'll stay with us in the future.
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed overnight on our way through to catch a Tigers game. Pros: great location for sports events and easy to walk to restaurants and bars, very comfortable bed. Front desk staff was great and hotel and room were clean and well maintained. Valet parking easy and quick. Only minor complaints that windows do not open and they needed to be washed; room smelled pretty heavily on the chemicals after cleaning. May be a tad overpriced but Wings and Tigers both had games that night.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Detroit, United States
Reviewed May 14, 2013

It was our first stay on our honeymoon. We were very happy with the facilities. I travel for work probably 8 weeks annually and this would probably be in the top 80 or 90% of the hotels I've visited. Very clean. We went to Andiamo's for dinner and walked to a quaint coffee shop around the corner for brunch. Easily within walking distance of Tigers/Lions stadiums.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and congrats on the wedding. We hope to be at your service the next time you are in Detroit.
Miramar, United States
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The hotel is recently renovated and has a pleasant and clean environment. Hotel staff is very helpful and understanding. Although in the middle of downtown, the hotel provides a secure and safe stay. Pool, Spa, breakfast and lobby are well maintained.

Germany
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The rooms at the back are simply terrible: the central a/c is similar to a 747 starting/landing. Sleepless nights guarenteed. Location is good as far as access from I375 and downtown is concerned. Breakfast is good, staff are very friendly. Wouldn't return.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

HGIDETROIT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for your stay. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the AC system. Our Engineering department has been working with the units and we are addressing the noise. Some units were replaced, and others have had new motors installed. We will keep on these units and repairs until we have fully corrected for all rooms.

David Kipfmiller