“Good, clean hotel, walkable to Greektown restaurants”

Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
East Lansing, Michigan
“Good, clean hotel, walkable to Greektown restaurants”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I have no complaints, a rare feat when I visit a hotel! I arrived in town by Greyhound, and took the People Mover to the nearby Cadillac stop and walked a few blocks to the hotel. The front desk staff were friendly and efficient, and I found myself with a room on the fourth floor. The room had both wired and wireless internet freely available, which surprised me - I used the wireless and found it plenty fast for me, and the table had plenty of space for my gigantic laptop. The room TV had a decent channel selection (but who watches TV, anyway?), and a microfridge was also available. The showerhead had a decent flowrate, and soap and shampoo was available.

Like I said, no complaints. The Greektown casino (which I did not frequent) and Greektown restaurants (which I did) are just a few blocks away, and I walked all over town taking photos with the hotel as my homebase.

One strange thing did happen, I guess - I asked the hotel desk to arrange a cab for me, and they had the cab driver call me, which has never happened before. The cab itself had no meter and the trip cost me more than I thought it would. So maybe you should schedule your own taxi.

But, overall, recommended, for sure. Note that I paid about half the price listed on the hotel website by using Priceline's "Name your own price" feature.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HGIDD, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, October 21, 2016
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciate the feedback. We hope you'll consider staying with us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Reviewed April 26, 2013

You have to pay an ADDITIONAL $20 for parking when you check inn. Your car is in a public parking lot, not in a parking garage. And, to top it off, my sheets had blood on them. Fitted sheet and loose sheet. When we asked to speak to a manger to confront them about the problem, we were told they weren't in but would give us a call. Now since we've still not been talked to, there will be a scene in the lobby where as to I hope other guests hear this and re think their hotel arrangements.

• Stayed May 2012
HGIDETROIT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to fill out a review. I am was not available right away on Friday morning when you called down, but I am glad that I was able sit down with you and talk before you left that day. Again, I apologize as the situation was unacceptable by all accounts. I also understand your concern about the parking. As is the case with the other downtown hotels, we do have a charge for overnight parking as we have to purchase the addition space.

David Kipfmiller
General Manger
Northville, Michigan
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel is very lovely and the staff very friendly. It is a block to two major sports venue and a block to the Greektown area where you can find food and entertainment of all types. All rooms have a refrigerator and microwave which is handy for those who may be tailgating during their stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to be at your service the next time you are in Detroit.
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel is located just blocks from Greektown Casino, Comerica Park and Ford Field. Buffalo Wild Wings right across the street. Rooms are always clean, comfortable beds, and great staff. If you are coming for a Red Wings game walk to Greektown and take the People Mover or lots of local bars offer free shuttles (BWW does not have a shuttle)...remember drivers work on tips! We stay here all the time, feel free to ask me any questions and I'll do my best to help.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We were in town for the Tigers' home opener, and the hotel was perfect. It was busy, and everything was clean and ready for a crowd. I appreciated the extra security in the lobby and in the elevator--who knew Detroit Tigers' fan were so, ahem, enthusiastic!! We loved our stay there. Comfy beds, clean room, good restaurants and bar in the hotel. Easy walking distance to Greektown, restaurants, and Comerica Park. Valet was fast and courteous.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jannrasp
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This hotel is situated in a wonderful little location nestled in the heart of Downtown Detroits diamonds in the rough. It is one block or so from Greek Town so absolutely accessible by walking. Fishy Bones is a block away, Pegasus, the Casino, Comerica Park, Ford Stadium and the Foxx Theater.
The people mover also runs only a block from this hotel as well as goes to many of downtowns Detroits River Front attractions. Hart Plaza, Ren. Cen. , Ponchatrain, Joe Louis, Cobo Arena.

Honestly the rooms are old fashioned but quaint and clean, the staff is courteous. If you want a pool, there is one, but don't be fooled by the Garden name. I had a hard time finding a Garden.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Morrice, Michigan
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed here in business for 3 nights, rooms were clean, beds were nice and comfy and the staff was very pleasant. I would stay here again for sure!! Oh and the location is fantastic, you are right in the middle of everything that could want to do in Detroit.

Room Tip: I didn't see a place for free breakfast, but there was a paid one offered