“Great Location,Poor Customer Service”

Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed March 5, 2013

March 1st-4th Great location close to everythinig within walking distance or a quick drive, couple block away from a people mover station. Valet guy was amazing, 21.20/night He was very personalable and quick,the front desk however was a different story.I had several problems with the front office.The First night we missed the housekeeper so on our way out for breakfast great tip from valet "hudson cafe".We asked for towels and just make the bed. On our return about 10 that night bed had been stripped but no sheets.When I called the front desk she let me know that she could not leace but I could come pick uop the linen and towels!!! Second night I was not leaving until I saw the housekeeper I waited until 3pm for service!! Even thought the customer service is horrible, the valet,housekeepers,bar attendents in the chrome lounge, made the trip very nice, If you just want to sleep and leave and attend to youself this is the place for you, but if customer service is a must please don't stay here!! Next time instead of location I will be booking based on that!!

Room Tip: Room has a comfort select button right by the head of the bed take advantage!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
HGIDETROIT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thanks for staying. I apologize that the service did not completely meet your standards. We take all our guest feedback to heart, and will use this to improve our service for our guest in the future. Your satisfaction is our measuring stick. I hope that you will consider us again on your next trip to Detroit.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I visited Detroit 20th-23rd February 2013 and stayed at this hotel. We were happy with our room, it had all the essentials we needed for our stay. The furniture was a wee bit dated but was more than adequate for its purpose. The hotel's location was fine for us, it was central to enable us to explore all around Downtown. Darrell at reception was particularly helpful and, if you need a taxi cab, I would recommend KR (Kenneth Reynolds). He was a very nice, helpful and informative man who took us to see some sights of Detroit we would never have found ourselves and his charge was VERY reasonable.He seems to be well-known in the hotel.
We had a fantastic stay in Detroit-we were told to be wary there but everybody we spoke to were very nice and friendly and wanted to find out more about us (I think it was the Scottish accent!). Obviously there will be places to avoid there but isn't that true in every town? We visited 5 cities on our trip but Detroit was our favourite one.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rhillscotland
HGIDETROIT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thanks for staying with us, and I am glad you enjoyed the stay. We are lucky to have great staff and support team here in Detroit. I am very happy to hear Detroit was you favorite stop on your trip. We hope to see you again if you are ever back in Detroit.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Nice but not worth the money. Good for a quick stop althought the valet is costly too. Rooms were supposed to be upgraded but not of good quality materials. The one we stayed overnight in was very small, and surprisingly the bed was hard. Usually the Hilton has a comfortable bed but the one we had. There are better Hotels but this one was closer to work and since it was a snowstorm coming and had arrivedthat morning we stayed there to keep from driving 45 minutes to work.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
HGIDETROIT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

General Manger

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Gret location for Fox Theater, City Theater and football and baseball stadiums. Good breakfast. Ok restaurants for other meals. Very helpful staff. Need newspapers in the lobby! Having omuse keys to access elevators a bit annoying but understandable for security.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
HGIDD, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2016

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciate the feedback. We hope you'll consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel was great - very clean, the staff was SO friendly... they let us check in 3 hours early!! The valet check was a little pricey ($20 to park my car literally 10 feet from the entrance of the hotel), but it was worth it to not park in a sketchy lot down the street. We stayed there to attend the auto show... we walked to the show (only about 15 minutes) and took the People Mover back (75 cents/person and about 10 minutes). It was extremely convenient. We went out for dinner in Greektown later and to a couple bars which were in walking distance.
The rooms were big, clean, comfortable. We had breakfast coupons for the buffet style breakfast which was just OK - eggs, bacon, bagels, etc. They ran out of food fairly quickly. I was very satisfied with the stay, and will definitely stay here again when I return to Detroit.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sarah m

Thank you for staying and taking the time to review. I am glad you enjoyed the stay and breakfast. I hope we see you again sometime soon!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Wonderful experience at this property. Would definitely recommend. Great location, near People Mover. Free wifi. Clean. Should you need it, the resaurant served us well for breakfast. They had a choice of a buffet for the continental breakfast, which had plenty to offer. A few blocks from Greek Town and other great restaurants. The staff was exceptional.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor so no one was above us. And we faced the direction of Greek Town. This m...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to be at your service the next time you are in Detroit.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Room was very clean. The beds are "adjustable" - didn't realize that until my third night, but I had no need to adjust it as it was very comfortable to start with. The front desk greeted me by name after my second night - very impressive. The breakfast was good - fruit was fresh and the french toast was awesome (you need to ask for it, they will happily make it for you). As mentioned the room was very clean, particularly the bathroom - spotless. NOTE: it using the people mover get on and off at the "Cadillac" station - it's very close and very easy to navigate.

Room Tip: life is too short to stay on the 2nd floor - ask for the 9th or 10th floor - the views are not neces...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
HGIDD, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2014

Thanks for staying and taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that our location, service and accommodations provided you with a great stay.