“"The Friendly Hilton"”

Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“"The Friendly Hilton"”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Accomodating, friendly staff. Had a problem w/our AC unit and they immediately put us in another room, even though it was 11pm. Had some great sliders at the bar/grill in the hotel.
Nice bartender, great chef. The breakfast room is another story, however. VERY unorganized, messy and not worth the price....FREE. The location of this hotel is perfect for Greektown, Ford Field and Comerica park. Valet parking is great and the valets are very attentive and friendly!

Room Tip: Saw 2 rooms, they were identical. Sorry, no tips
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HGIDETROIT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for providing insight on your recent experience at our hotel. I’m so happy you enjoyed our friendly and accommodating staff and I’m glad they could provide you with a new room. I sincerely apologize for disorganization you may have experienced in the American Grille, and I will be sharing you comments with our Food and Beverage Manager. We look for reviews to provide insight, so I certainly appreciate your feedback. The next time you are in the area, we would love for you to stay with us again. Thank you.

David Kipfmiller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Traverse City
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed just one night but we were extremely impressed. All the employees were very friendly and polite. The room was fresh and clean. We were even ramdomly picked as guests of the day, so we received a goodie bag that included two free tickets for breakfast. We had a great breakfast, better than we expected and we didn't even need to order off the menu. We had a great view of downtown from our 9th floor room. One thing that really impressed us is that you needed to use your key card to even use the elevator, that made us feel very secure. The hotel is just a short walk from Co-America Park. After the baseball game (which we won) we walked around downtown (and it was hopping), looked at all the historic buildings and stopped for a drink. Never once did we feel unsafe. If your heading to the big city I would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the city. It's a little bit more but so worth it, what a view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for staying and congratulations on being selected as our guest of the day. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

West Jefferson, North Carolina
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Really nice folks running this place. They took great care in making sure my changed reservation was right, that I got my request for a higher floor room granted, and that everything was right - the first time. We were in town for a Tiger game and when they say the hotel is two blocks from the ballpark they are NOT making this up!!! What a pleasure to enjoy the game and then just walk (safely) back to my nice, clean hotel room. All the amenities are there: good bed, nice t.v., free wireless (and you don't have to be a software engineer to sign in) big clean bath, microwave, mini-fridge, you got it all. And from my 10th floor room I could see into the ballpark! GO TIGERS. We will definitely be back for all our Tiger town needs.

Room Tip: The extra five bucks for the 10th floor room on the "Tiger side" of the hotel was really f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HGIDD, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, October 21, 2016
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the feedback. We hope to be at your service the next time you are in Detroit.
Bay City, Michigan
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed at this property in July but have stayed here in the past as well. You will not find a nicer hotel so close to both Comerica Park and Ford Field. We walk around at night and hit the bars and casino and have never had a problem or felt unsafe. Room was clean and very spacious. Everytime I visit Detroit this hotel is my first choice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HGIDETROIT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thanks for staying and for the great review. Come down and see us again soon!

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The girls at the Front Desk were very friendly and quickly made us feel welcome. The room was spacious and clean. Quite disappointed with breakfast buffet. Had to wait for a table. Many items on buffet were empty, more items were empty than ones that had anything for the hot items. Made to order omelettes, french toast or pancakes. My Son and I had an omelette each that was delicious. Poor service but got the impression they were either surprised by the amount of guests or were short staffed. All the employees were hustling and nobody was standing around. Stayed here because it is close to everything and especially Ford Field and Comerica Park. Not sure I would stay again. The rate ws more like a Hilton than a Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thanks again for staying, and letting us know about your experience. I have brought this to the attention of our Food and Beverage Director, and it appears we missed the mark on this day. We are committed to satisfaction of our guest, and we will use your comments to help get us to this point.

Cape Breton Island, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I picked this hotel due to its proximity to Ford Field and Comerica Park,and just a 2-4 minute walk to Greektown, we had tixs to a ball game one night and a concert the following night. I did my homework and knew it was the closest hotel in the city to the stadiums. However what I wasn't expecting was such a friendly and accomadating staff, from the people working reception to the cleaning staff, everyone had a smile and a friendly hello. Was also very nice that the girls at the front desk called me by name , and seemed genuinly concerned that everything was to my satisfaction. Will hands down recommend this hotel for anyone I know travelling to the area , and if I find myself back in Detroit will for sure find myself back at the Hilton.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Love2Travel286
HGIDETROIT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for the staying with us and for the wonderful review. We can't wait to see you again next time you are in Detroit!

Toronto
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Most friendly hotel staff I have met

The location is on the safer side of Detroit downtown near most of the functioning offices in downtown Detroit.

The bar and food was good as well.

Surly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Dijango
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to be at your service the next time you are in Detroit.