“Great location for sporting events”

Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed January 2, 2012

If you are going to Ford Field or Coamerica this is perfect place to stay. Within walking distance to both. You can also walk to Fishbones and Greektown from here in about 2 minutes. Nice hotel with a nice resturant in the bottom. Nice clean rooms. . Would stay here again. We have stayed as a couple, and with the kids. Nice pool area. You do have to walk a few block at to on the DPM but other than that great location. Try coaches for some food which is just around the corner and the Detroit Lions Drum line comes to perform there after the games!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
HGIDETROIT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2012

Thanks for staying and for taking the time to rank us on Trip Advisor! We hope to see you again soon. Next time you are here, please check out our bar, The Crome Grille. We are launching new menus next week, and would love you feedback.

David Kipfmiller

Write a ReviewReviews (1,014)

Reviewed December 31, 2011

This is a pretty standard Hilton Garden, but for a folks staying Downtown, you cannot beat the location, especially if you are going to a Tigers game or to Ford Field. Very close the the Greektown area. It has a bar and small restaurant on site. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2011
HGIDD, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2016

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciate the feedback. We hope you'll consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed December 13, 2011

Can't say enough about our stay. We had a group of 24 in town for hockey and football. Used the Group Services (Stephanie was excellent). We received a great rate which included parking and breakfast. This is an excellent breakfast - made to order french toast or omelets and very friendly, attentive staff.
Every staff member we met was friendly. The best part is the location. Our last two stays were at the Ren Center and while we liked the hotel, we didn't find as many restaurants nearby.
The Hilton is a short walk to Greektown, to Ford Field and to Comerica. Yes, it's downtown Detroit but we felt very comfortable walking to and from the hotel.
The one thing we noticed this year of the our two previous trips was the number of citizens - in the restaurants and in Greektown. Many in our group had never been to Detroit and thought we were crazy but everyone loved the trip and loved this hotel as our home base.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for your stay, and the OUTSTANDING REVIEW! We were glad to have you here as well. I will share your praise for Stefanie, and the team. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed November 11, 2011

This hotel is centrally located, a short walk from the Renaissance Center, the Greektown restaurant area, and the Greektown Casino. (It's also a block from the Cash City pawnshop, but remember, this is Detroit.) The hotel was full, so they gave me a handicapped-accessible room (even though I didn't need those features). The room was enormous, with a little refrigerator, a microwave, desk with ergonomic chair, and a comfortable upholstered chair. There's a business center where you can use a computer and printer at no charge. I had a view of the Renaissance Center skyline, and the room was very quiet. The room was spotlessly clean. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, and reflected a lot of pride in their city and its history. Overall, a good experience.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the Renaissance Center.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Bargainhunter

Glad you had a great stay, and thanks for taking the time to give us a review.

We appoligize for having to put you in an accesible room, but we are glad you found it spacious and clean. Unfortuntely, like you mentioned, we do have to use these when the hotel fill up.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 1, 2011

In celebration of my mother's birthday our family has been chartering a bus and going to Detroit for six years. This year she turned 90 so it was even more meaningful. The staff at the Hilton Garden Inn is outstanding. The accommodations were very nice. The buffet dinner was very good. t is not easy to please everyone in a group this large but I only heard compliments no complaints. We work with a young lady named Stefanie Fields Bradley. She takes care of all the details from a-z. It is a wonderful weekend. We are already planning for next year & everyone has voted to return to the Hilton Garden Inn in Detroit. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Our family stayed on various floors and all the rooms were very nice.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to be at your service the next time you are in Detroit.

Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed at the Hilton Garden over the weekend. Very pleased with the hotel and staff, all around it was a good choice. The hotel is a couple blocks from the Greektown Casino, Ford Field, Comerica Park, and Fox theater. Also People Mover stop was right around the corner too. Hotel room was nice and clean, not complaints at all!!! Bed was nice, but don’t think there version of an adjustable mattress works too well, this was the third time and I don’t believe they adjust so good. The breakfast was good, our server each morning was very friendly!!

My only comment/complaint was with the parking on Sunday at checkout. I suppose there was a sign at the check-in counter (I didn't see it, when we checked in) but with our bill under the door there was a note saying that if our car was not out of the parking lot by noon, we would be charged an additional $40 since there was a Lions home game. I guess it’s not a problem since check out was by 12, but the night before I asked for a late checkout and they gave us till 1pm, Excellent, but why didn't anyone actually tell us about the parking charge? After breakfast we rushed to get out by noon, so we did not get charged. I think a courtesy to your guest would be to actually inform them verbally, not a small sign on the counter about the charge, especially if you are given a late check out.

Other than that small issue, everything else was great! I would stay at this location again. Thanks!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beachbumtim
HGIDETROIT351, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2011

Thanks for the Stay, and the review! As for parking, we agree! We will work with the team to make sure everyone is helping share the information about the game day charges. Unfortunately, we don't own the parking area, so the hotel does get charged game day prices extra for any cars left in the parking lot football game days.

Reviewed October 13, 2011

After staying Friday night and booking through expedia at a reasonable rate we had an issue with a rude front desk worker that told my wife she wasn't a good enough hotel guest for a breakfast voucher that morning. We were in shock and complained and a manager said to us if you would like to stay with us again we will give you discounted rate. I am a Hilton honors member and so we my wife and I decided to stay another night for now and STATED TO HIM perhaps even 2 nights as we were enjoying the downtown area and I was conducting business. While I was away working i asked my wife to extend us another night at which I expected was the same rate we were offered. It wasn't until the bill was recieved I found out they changed it to a much higher rate. Then I find out they charged us over $60.00 in phone calls my wife made simply phoning my local cell number from the hotel. I never even answered and they charged around 6 dollars a call even without a pickup. I was told is was over 5.00 after 6 rings. Why would a hotel want to upset their guests by ripping them off? Not to mention they charged the highest parking rates in the area. The Greektown hotel I stayed in that Thursday gave free parking. All of these charges were not forwarned and the final bill was outrageous. After complaining the fron desk agreed to change the rate back to the one I was given the night before and it made it more reasonable, I recieved a printout of the final bill and confirmed this is what I would be charged. Then 3 days later the hotel finally charged my card they changed the rates back to the higher rates and charged me the old bill with out me knowing it, calling me of telling me. Unbelievable. Keep ripping off your guests see how that works for you!!. As we were leaving I noticed another couple clearly distraut and looking at there bill arguing with each other and eyeing the hotel front desk. Hmmm wonder what happened to them????????

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank jzcontrols

Thank your for your stay and for taking the time to post feedback on your stay. We value guest feedback both positive, and negative. It is our mission to make sure each and every guest are taken care of, and treated with the utmost respect. Our staff takes great pride in their service scores, and has been recognized as one of the best in the market. We will take your feedback to heart and continue to work towards our goal of being the number one hotel in Downtown Detroit.

We work hard to make sure all our services are competitive. We do unfortunately have to charge for long distance calls that connect, and our local calls are .50 per call.
We are pleased t o be able to offer secured Valet parking for $20 per night, which is the same rate or lower, than the other downtown hotels.