“Windsor loses $$ due to terrible bridge”
Review of Ambassador Bridge

Ambassador Bridge
Ranked #137 of 155 things to do in Detroit
More attraction details
Owner description: At the time this bridge was built in 1929 it was the longest suspension bridge in the world.
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Since I am claustrophobic the tunnel is not an option to travel to Windsor from Detroit. That leaves the bridge. With the lack of maintenance the safety of travel over the bridge is in question. As a result many of us do not go to Windsor to visit, to shop, etc. I look at Windsor from the Detroit side and am very sad because Windsor is such a beautiful city with an extremely low crime rate. I cannot wait for a new bridge to be built, one not owned by the billionaire, so we can return to enjoying Windsor. But with the billionaire suing to stop any bridges being built, I may not see one in my lifetime. Funny how one rich man can stop even the US and Canadian governments from trying to provide a safe and efficient crossing. (Had to answer some questions that were not pertinent to this review in order to get it posted.)

2  Thank memyselfandiMichigan
"detroit river"
in 8 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Driving over the Ambassador Bridge to get to Windsor from Detroit was a breeze. I cleared Canadian customs/border police in no time. Not to mention, leaving Detroit for ANYWHERE ELSE was welcome. The return trip, however, was a nightmare. Yes, I understand the security precautions that the US has to take, but the wait seemed unreasonably long for the amount of traffic that was trying to get into Detroit. Also, I was flagged by the computer at the toll booth for a random vehicle search, which, while an understandable security measure, was still a pain in the butt.

The only saving grace was the cheap price to enter Canada/return to US.

3  Thank Constantly T
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I recently used the bridge for a day trip to Windsor. It was $4.75 USD each way. The traffic wasn't bad when I crossed but it took a little time to get through the border patrol. For the most part, they were very direct and asked several questions such as why are you going to Canada, where are you going, why did you choose today, etc.....not the friendliest by any means, but I guess they are just doing their job.

1  Thank volsgirl10
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a very interesting bridge, and one that has a lot of controversy.

I do prefer the bridge to Windsor, Ontario, Canada. I take it every so often. It's fun. You will have to deal with custom agents any time you reenter the United States. And lest we forget, there is a real that they are very tough. We don't need any reminders, do we?

It's got an illustrious history. Construction started in the 1920s. There is no real design style but a merging of Art Deco, Streamline and Gothic. It's safe. It's green and a very scenic crossing. Awesome design.

I read somewhere that there are about 8,000 vehicles that cross it daily. The bridge is open 24/7. I also heard that you can buy duty free gas, but you need to get more details.

There was a time when people could walk across the bridge as there is a sidewalk, however it has been closed for a few decades.

Remember, watch your speed when you enter either Windsor or Detroit. Both sections have speed traps.

It's lit at night. I like it.

Toll is almost $5 as the US Dollar is on par with the Canadian Dollar. Do expect a lot of traffic.