“No Shuttle to Comerica Park”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of MotorCity Casino

MotorCity Casino
Ranked #42 of 140 things to do in Detroit
More attraction details
Owner description: A casino where you don't need to gamble? That's the idea at MotorCity, designed to satisfy gamblers and non-gamblers alike with its comprehensive gaming offerings and dining and entertainment delights. Its restaurants, which range from fine dining to barbecue, are run by one of the two certified master chefs in Michigan.
Auburn Hills, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“No Shuttle to Comerica Park”
Reviewed April 3, 2005

Usually do dinner and gamble and take the free shuttle over to the games, but - this year NO SHUTTLE SERVICE. What's up with that? Patrons like my family liked the convenience and also spent money in the casino, though we sometimes won at the tables. Disappointing - certainly the cost of some short shuttle trips to the park and back is offset by those who eat and gamble at the casino. On game days, no reason to go to Motor City Casino. Opening day - today - Tigers won 11-2.

8 Thank Cherrios4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cleveland, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“This is Detroit's neighborhood casino...”
Reviewed January 31, 2004

Unlike MGM or Greektown casinos, MotorCity is sort of the casino equivalent of the neighborhood tavern, as there are residences surrounding it. The casino itself is rather dark, as the lighting is uniformly underused. The dealers and pit bosses are usually pretty friendly; every casino has a few aloof ones. MotorCity Casino claims to have $10 blackjack all the time; while this claim is true, it is somewhat misleading. In the early morning hours of almost any day, there is usually only one or two $10 tables to be found. Invariably, there are would-be players waiting to be seated at a $10 table while there are plenty of available seats at the $15 and $25 tables. It seems that the casino is only hurting itself with this situation, as there are some players who simply will not sit at a higher minimum table. The only game that I have seen $5 minimums for on a semi-regular basis are casino war; infrequently there will be a $5 blackjack table, but this is usually raised to $10 in short order. There are two things that MotorCity has going for it over the other two Detroit casinos: it has its own all non-smoking floor of gambling (third floor), and it is by far the easiest casino to reach via the highway and park at. As for the non-smoking floor, it has fewer slots and table games than the others, which is a shame because a lot of people prefer this floor much more than the others, but often can't find an open table with minimums within their reach. $15 minimums are often the standard for this floor for blackjack. There is one craps table, and one roulette table, both with a $10 or $15 minimum. There are nickle slot machines on this floor for slots fans; I have not seen video poker machines on this floor, except for up at the bar. However, I may have just missed them. As for the driving and parking... MotorCity is just off I-75 (Exit 50- Grand River), as well as the Lodge Freeway (M-10). Unlike Greektown or MGM, there is never any need for validation, as the casino/parking complex is not connected to or near any other commerce. Parking is free; park on the third floor is you want to be able to walk right into the casino without having to use the stairs or elevator. Overall, MotorCity Casino is a fun place to play; I would say that this casino has the most intriguing players, if you prefer to get some unintended entertainment beyond just the games themselves. Security seems to be the most prevalent here; there are lots of security guards manning the facility, though that is not to imply that this casino is necessarily any more dangerous than the others. All the casinos watch virtually every move of everybody in the complex, so safety should not be a real concern. In fact, I sort of *like* knowing that the security force at MotorCity is close by, just in case someone decides not to mind their P's and Q's.
Finally, there is no hotel --save for one flop house-- near the casino; you will have to drive here and stay somewhere in Downtown proper, or out in the suburbs.

7 Thank Bud_Dry
A TripAdvisor Member
“dissappointd with motorcity casino”
Reviewed July 13, 2003

Motorcity's slots are impossible to have any fun while playing. The payback percentages,although not advertised have to be very low. I know I should expect to lose my money when I play the slot machines, but I do expect to receive some playing time for the money I deposit into the machines, meaning when playing a multiplier machine I had over one hundred spins and did not hit the multiplier once. I come to motorcity often because it's the first casino I come up to on the freeway, and there's ample easy free Parking. That's not enough to keep me coming back anymore, The next time I visit a casino, I'll drive a little bit further up the freeway to mgm or greektown where I can say I have had numerous hits including jackpots, mostly small, and I get more playing time for my money.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member