“Most things OK”

Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed May 5, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights over a weekend, sat/sun/mon.

My room was fine, everything as it should be, clean and tidy and a comfortable bed to sleep in with a good shower and tv.

My only gripes are the so called 'Business Center' which had the only PC with internet access for the WHOLE hotel, which was ridiculous imo. Also the fact that it was a crap Pentium III which was terribly slow due to the amount of things that have been installed on it over the years. It doesnt cost anything these days to get a basic internet ready PC that will run fast - get this sorted Holiday Inn!!!!!!!!!!!

Also the staff on the front desk were not very friendly either, they just about helped me out except for one guy who was very helpful in sorting out the bus routes i needed to get to the henry ford museum in dearborn - other than him the rest did not make much of an effort.

The bar/restaurant that was joined onto the hotel was good to go for some drinks and i met some friendly people there who told me about detroit - but the food i got wasnt that great so maybe just stick to the drinks.

But all in all it was a good experience and i would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo

Reviewed May 3, 2007

We stayed last October. Hotel was under staffed at the desk. The breakfast area was unsupervised and had many people coming in from the marathon to get coffee. There was a rock band outside our window at 7 AM in the morning. The valet are a joke. Several of our people waited 20 minutes for cars only to find outsomeone had forgot to get them.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2007

I stayed there with a group of folks for a women's conference at Cobo Hall. The conference had several thousand in attendance. Upon arrival, the staff greeted us with impatient attitudes, even as we checked in.

The complimentary breakfast was insulting. It entailed of various stale offerings and tannish water masquerading as coffee. I overheard a disgruntled cleaning woman mutter there were too many women in the hotel for her taste.

One reason we stayed there is because of its proximity to the people-mover and specifically because they said (twice) that we could leave our vehicles parked at their lot until noon the next day.

However, that morning arrived and they chearfully informed us as we checked out, that we had to move our cars before 11am (no exceptions or it's towed). Our conference lasted until noon so of course we had to move our vehicles. As it was a large conference, several vehicles had to be moved to parking garages, etc... causing great inconvenience for the group.

I was informed by IHG that each hotel is independently owned and operated. There you go.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2007

Myself, and three other women stayed in a room with two queen beds. We booked this room through hotwire for $68 a night. We had no problems with check-in or valet parking. I was impressed how quickly we got our car back with valet parking. The staff was very friendly and the service was prompt when we needed extra towels. The room was very clean and everything in it was fairly new. The bathroom had been remodeled with granite countertops, nicely tiled floor, and a totally new shower. Yes, it is an older building but everything in our room had been remodeled recently except the windows. They give you both soft and firm pillows, a nice fluffy comforter with duvet and higher thread count sheets. They had a complimentary shuttle that took us to the Detroit Medical Center for our meeting, but the only bad thing was that we had to wait 45 minutes to come back (you call the shuttle and they pick you up). The People Mover was a block away from the hotel and we took it to Greektown to eat at Fishbones, which was totally awesome. It was very safe and clean and it only cost 50 cents to ride. It's a great way to see the city, and the loop only takes about 15 minutes.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2007

I stayed here for one night on 1st April 2007. That was more than long enough to see that this hotel desperately needs investment. While my room was clean and spacious, it was a non smoking room yet smelt as if a chain smoker had just checked out.
Although I was unaffected, many people checking in at the same time as me had a good hour to wait as their rooms weren't ready, which I would take as being a given for the hotel industry!
I had to use the so called "Business Centre" during my trip, which was a big mistake. It consisted of one computer - which took over ten minutes to start up due to all the programs installed on it by previous users - and one printer. It was a depressingly badly lit room, and the "desk space" consisted of old chipped melamine surfaces not unlike the average household kitchen.
I found the staff to be beligerent and didnt bother to even excuse themselves from the personal phone call they were making when I needed assistance, just looked up and said "what you want?"
If you want rock bottom basic facilities I would still not recommend this hotel to others, because the normal selling price and the brand do not live up to the experience

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed March 22, 2007

1. Despite having a confirmation number etc for a handicapped room, when I arrived at 1am after traveling for 16 hours - they had no reservation for a handicapped room. Finally they found one for me - took me to the room - the room hadn't been cleaned. I had to stay in a non-handicapped room the first night.
2. I never got my wake up call that morning - when I called the front desk, they never even apologized.
3. I changed from the original room since the tub stopper didn't work and the water just kept filling up during the shower. The shower curtain was also either moldy or black with dirt in some spots.
4. The handicapped room was nothing special. Rug was threadbare and "puckered" in some spots - if I had been using my walker, this could have contributed to a fall. Everything - bed, couch, all but one chair - was too low and difficult to maneuver.
5. 7 days - NO HOUSEKEEPING. Some days I went out to get towels from the cart - they were still cleaning rooms at 3p when I would leave for the night. Yet I would come back and nothing was done to my room.
6. There were 3 different groups suddenly in the hotel on Friday, including teenage girls who screamed and ran thru the hallways. Naturally they completely took over the breakfast area.
7. The WORST - THEY RAN MY DEBIT CARD TWICE. They charged me TWICE for that room and my checks are bouncing. - I have called and spoken to several people and so far NOT ONE PERSON HAS EVEN APOLOGIZED, let alone put my money back!!! Worst place I have ever stayed in, especially when you figure in a rate of $152 plus taxes a night.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank TheLittleQueenie
Reviewed December 27, 2006

We stayed here for the Motor City Bowl the day after Christmas. The room was clean, hotel clean, and pool area clean. The pool temperature was just fine for us. Must have fixed problem from Dec. 7 customer. The pool was also GREAT for young children. We have 3 and the middle of the pool only came to 3'9". Unfortunately, they do not have a hot tub (my fault, should have read website better) and the doors to the rooms have to be slammed shut. I mean SLAMMED! Was very close to People Mover. We had our kids with us, and we weren't afraid at all. There were some police at the stations, maybe extra because of the game. Staff was EXCELLENT! Everyone very friendly and courteous. They only do Valet Parking because they don't have any room at the hotel to park. The $17.00 might have been a little high, but we didn't worry about our vehicle at all, so I guess it was good for peace of mind. Breakfast was good. Cinnamon Rolls Excellent. Kids had bowl of cereal, milk, juice, toast, donuts, apples, oranges, yogurt......

Overall we had a great experience, and we will stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family