“Showing its age”

Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
england
“Showing its age”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2007

I stayed here for one night on 1st April 2007. That was more than long enough to see that this hotel desperately needs investment. While my room was clean and spacious, it was a non smoking room yet smelt as if a chain smoker had just checked out.
Although I was unaffected, many people checking in at the same time as me had a good hour to wait as their rooms weren't ready, which I would take as being a given for the hotel industry!
I had to use the so called "Business Centre" during my trip, which was a big mistake. It consisted of one computer - which took over ten minutes to start up due to all the programs installed on it by previous users - and one printer. It was a depressingly badly lit room, and the "desk space" consisted of old chipped melamine surfaces not unlike the average household kitchen.
I found the staff to be beligerent and didnt bother to even excuse themselves from the personal phone call they were making when I needed assistance, just looked up and said "what you want?"
If you want rock bottom basic facilities I would still not recommend this hotel to others, because the normal selling price and the brand do not live up to the experience

• Liked — location to centre of Detroit
  • Disliked — everything else!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Rochester MN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2007

1. Despite having a confirmation number etc for a handicapped room, when I arrived at 1am after traveling for 16 hours - they had no reservation for a handicapped room. Finally they found one for me - took me to the room - the room hadn't been cleaned. I had to stay in a non-handicapped room the first night.
2. I never got my wake up call that morning - when I called the front desk, they never even apologized.
3. I changed from the original room since the tub stopper didn't work and the water just kept filling up during the shower. The shower curtain was also either moldy or black with dirt in some spots.
4. The handicapped room was nothing special. Rug was threadbare and "puckered" in some spots - if I had been using my walker, this could have contributed to a fall. Everything - bed, couch, all but one chair - was too low and difficult to maneuver.
5. 7 days - NO HOUSEKEEPING. Some days I went out to get towels from the cart - they were still cleaning rooms at 3p when I would leave for the night. Yet I would come back and nothing was done to my room.
6. There were 3 different groups suddenly in the hotel on Friday, including teenage girls who screamed and ran thru the hallways. Naturally they completely took over the breakfast area.
7. The WORST - THEY RAN MY DEBIT CARD TWICE. They charged me TWICE for that room and my checks are bouncing. - I have called and spoken to several people and so far NOT ONE PERSON HAS EVEN APOLOGIZED, let alone put my money back!!! Worst place I have ever stayed in, especially when you figure in a rate of $152 plus taxes a night.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank TheLittleQueenie

Travelers are raving about these Detroit hotels

Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2006

We stayed here for the Motor City Bowl the day after Christmas. The room was clean, hotel clean, and pool area clean. The pool temperature was just fine for us. Must have fixed problem from Dec. 7 customer. The pool was also GREAT for young children. We have 3 and the middle of the pool only came to 3'9". Unfortunately, they do not have a hot tub (my fault, should have read website better) and the doors to the rooms have to be slammed shut. I mean SLAMMED! Was very close to People Mover. We had our kids with us, and we weren't afraid at all. There were some police at the stations, maybe extra because of the game. Staff was EXCELLENT! Everyone very friendly and courteous. They only do Valet Parking because they don't have any room at the hotel to park. The $17.00 might have been a little high, but we didn't worry about our vehicle at all, so I guess it was good for peace of mind. Breakfast was good. Cinnamon Rolls Excellent. Kids had bowl of cereal, milk, juice, toast, donuts, apples, oranges, yogurt......

Overall we had a great experience, and we will stay there again.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank garfield4u22
Columbus, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2006

First the pros....
1. got a great rate for this hotel thru Hotwire - $65/night
2. It is close to the People Mover - only 1 block down the street. That is a great way to get to all of the downtown venues and only 50 cents a ride. So that was nice, but only in daylight. I was uneasy about that. The streets are rather empty over the weekend, but it is downtown....
3. The MGM is not far either and only about $3 for a cab ride there so that isn't bad either. I might walk it in the summertime.
4. The room was clean.
5. Ice machine and pop machines seemingly by elevators on every floor.
6. Even though the parking is $17/day you can go and come as you like without charge.
7. Valet staff was very nice. Front desk staff was not bad either - maybe a little understaffed for a Saturday.
8. Greektown is on the People Mover line so that is convenient also but not as interesting as one might think unless you are going to the casino only.

Now for the cons...
1. Pool was FREEZING. If it is heated something is wrong. You know how you force yourself to get in when it is cool and you work your way further in because you get use to it - not this one. I was in for 10 mins and never warmed up enough to stay. This was disappointing as I looked for a downtown hotel with a pool.
2. The cleaning staff did not come until nearly 5pm on Sat. and when we were unable to let them in right then they said they would be back with towels (which we told them would suffice for the night) they did not come back. We did contact the front desk who sent the towels up.
3. This was after we came back to our room the first day to find our keys would not work and we had to get new ones.
4. The Bar & Grill Restaurant is not open Sundays. We did not eat there, but the option would have been nice.
5. I don't know what cookies people taked about being there when they arrived - but not for us!!
6. The location seems to be slightly on the outskirts of downtown - maybe not as nice an area as some would like.

I don't know if I would stay there again. Maybe. It wasn't bad, but nothing outstanding.

• Liked — People Mover proximity
  • Disliked — Room not getting cleaned
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Julie B
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2006

Booked way in advance for busy Labor Day weekend and everything was great. Had a microwave, small fridge, coffee maker, etc. Which may not sound like such a big deal, but there are not many hotels left with clean, safe, quiet rooms that have a microwave and fridge for less than $100. Free internet plus printer available to all; large, clean work out room with 5 TVs!; free parking on city streets (don't let the valet tell you otherwise); and downtown is right there. Room was comfortable - bed was great; housekeeping a bit lax, but engineering came up within minutes of call re broken shower nozzle and clogged sink. The restaurant needs to be open during holiday weekends (what are they thinking?) and overall needs to make itself more attractive, but for a short stay in Detroit proper - nothing wrong with it!

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — No restaurants
  • Stayed September 2006
2 Thank eddieharris
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for one night and would definetly stay there again when visiting Detroit. The check in was quick and easy and all the hotel staff were very friendly. There was also valet service to take our rental at a cost of $17.00 per night.

The rooms were clean and inviting with a little kitchen space equipped with a miniature fridge and microwave.The continental breakfast was great and had a wide variety of breakfast items too choose from.

Check out time was at 12pm but we wanted to check out the pool so we requested a later check out time, which was no problem.

Overall it was a great stay.

• Liked — Continental Breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
Thank Ms.ShaQuay
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2006

I stayed here for 1 night of which I would describe as average. Rooms were clean and spacious but try to stay on one of the higher floors. I was on the fifth floor with all the chillers, furnaces and air conditioning units outside my window and could hear them all night.

Location is truly in the heart of downtown and the free continental breakfast was a nice touch.

I asked for a late checkout and was told I have to leave by noon. When I called a few hours later and found different desk staff I asked again and was told I can check out at 2pm. ???.

Overall it wasnt a bad experience and it wasnt a great experience...it was average.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business