First the pros....
1. got a great rate for this hotel thru Hotwire - $65/night
2. It is close to the People Mover - only 1 block down the street. That is a great way to get to all of the downtown venues and only 50 cents a ride. So that was nice, but only in daylight. I was uneasy about that. The streets are rather empty over the weekend, but it is downtown....
3. The MGM is not far either and only about $3 for a cab ride there so that isn't bad either. I might walk it in the summertime.
4. The room was clean.
5. Ice machine and pop machines seemingly by elevators on every floor.
6. Even though the parking is $17/day you can go and come as you like without charge.
7. Valet staff was very nice. Front desk staff was not bad either - maybe a little understaffed for a Saturday.
8. Greektown is on the People Mover line so that is convenient also but not as interesting as one might think unless you are going to the casino only.
Now for the cons...
1. Pool was FREEZING. If it is heated something is wrong. You know how you force yourself to get in when it is cool and you work your way further in because you get use to it - not this one. I was in for 10 mins and never warmed up enough to stay. This was disappointing as I looked for a downtown hotel with a pool.
2. The cleaning staff did not come until nearly 5pm on Sat. and when we were unable to let them in right then they said they would be back with towels (which we told them would suffice for the night) they did not come back. We did contact the front desk who sent the towels up.
3. This was after we came back to our room the first day to find our keys would not work and we had to get new ones.
4. The Bar & Grill Restaurant is not open Sundays. We did not eat there, but the option would have been nice.
5. I don't know what cookies people taked about being there when they arrived - but not for us!!
6. The location seems to be slightly on the outskirts of downtown - maybe not as nice an area as some would like.
I don't know if I would stay there again. Maybe. It wasn't bad, but nothing outstanding.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites of Downtown Detroit is a first class hotel that is ideal for travelers who are visiting for either business or leisure purposes. In addition to our finely appointed guest rooms, we offer fully equipped suites with full kitchens for extended stays. Some of our outstanding amenities include a state-of-the-art fitness center, indoor heated pool, 24-hour business center, and complimentary high-speed Internet access. Don't forget to join us for breakfast at our newly updated Express Start Breakfast Bar. We now offer a selection of hot entrees! The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites of Downtown Detroit also offers valet parking for your convenience at fee of $27.00 per car per night, the lowest priced hotel parking in the downtown area. Located in the heart of downtown Detroit, the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites is within walking distance of Cobo Convention Center, Joe Louis Arena (Detroit Red Wings) and the new MGM Grand Casino. The hotel is also positioned perfectly near the People Mover, Greektown Casino, Motor City Casino, Detroit Opera House, Fox Theatre, Hard Rock Cafe, Comerica Park (Detroit Tigers), and Ford Field (Detroit Lions). For the busy executive, the hotel is located only 1-2 blocks from Compuware World Headquarters, DTE Energy, and AT&T, just to name a few. The General Motors World Headquarters, famously known as the Renaissance Center, is located less than one mile from the hotel and is open to the public during weekdays for tours and shopping. Visitors can even venture off across the border into Canada by crossing the Ambassador Bridge or the tunnel into Windsor, Canada. For your next visit to Detroit, Stay Smart at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites of Downtown Detroit! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown Hotel Detroit