All reviews valet parking people mover big city comerica park tigers game cobo center free breakfast breakfast staff ford field yogurt valet service clean hotel wings hie downtown concert stadium
Reviewed August 28, 2018

This is an older hotel that has been kept up nicely but still leaves some things to desire. The suite we had on the 17th floor was the largest they had and it was in fair shape as the towel rack in bathroom was coming loose from the wall, the was no room safe, and with 3 of us the sofa sleeper was quite uncomfortable for my sons to alternate nights sleeping on and we had to ask for blankets and extra pillows even though we booked the room as 3 people . The pool was on the 17th floor and clean, no hot tub or sauna however and had to ask for towels to be brought up at 5pm. Breakfast was good- two meat choices, pancake makers , 3 juices , area clean.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
HIDetroitDowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2018

I’m glad that you and your family chose us, and enjoyed our hearty breakfast options before catching the game. However, I’m very sorry if you were not completely satisfied or comfortable with your accommodations. We appreciate your input and hope to have all of you back, so we can provide you with the experience you expect and deserve from us.

Reviewed August 27, 2018

The hotel is centrally located between Little Caesar's Arena (1 Mile) and Cobo Hall (Quarter mile). Casinos are also not far away. Room was within the parameters of the Holiday Inn standards.Breakfast was great and the menu changes slightly in the two days we stayed there. Rooftop pool was ok but is in need of an upgrade and some basis upkeep and repair. Overall it was a nice uneventful stay.

Room Tip: Ask for lower level rooms. There are 17 floors to this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
HIDetroitDowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Detroit. We’re pleased that you enjoyed our excellent location as well as our dining offerings. We appreciate your feedback about our pool area and hope you’ll join us again soon, so we have a chance to impress you on all counts.

Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for a concert. Check in and out was fine. Rooms were below average. We stayed on floor 17 and the toilet seal was leaking every time we flushed it, cracks noted on the plaster bathroom ceiling. Ice and pop machines didn’t work. I would say OK hotel for a 1 night stay but not worth it for more. Morning breakfast was decent. Remember to text before your ready for your vehicle because they have a sign that says it will typically take 25-30 minutes to get your car back from valet. Big City bar is located right next door so benefit for pre-show drinks and an Uber to the little Caesars arena ran us 6-10 bucks pre and post concert.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
HIDetroitDowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2018

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Detroit. We’re glad our location was convenient for your trip to the arena. We’re excited to let you know that later this year we’ll be launching an extensive renovation of the property to better serve you. You can expect bright, well-appointed guest rooms and warm and inviting common areas. We hope you’ll visit again to enjoy a brand new guest experience.

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

Stayed August 4th for the Kenny Chesney concert.

The good- My wife and I were able to valet our car and check a bag with the valet guys until the room was ready before noon.

The bad- Requested early check-in via the app and unfortunately did not work out. No big deal. The room was not ready till well past 3pm. We did not want to miss the start of the concert by walking back to the hotel to simply move a bag to the room. No big deal, we’ll get the bag after the concert and bars close. We check-in around 1:30am and call it a night.

The Ugly- wake up for departure and realize 1) there is an empty space for the refrigerator, 2) there is no iron/ironing board, and 3) ZERO towels. It was nice of housekeeping to leave two wash clothes behind. So much for showering prior to departure.

There are clearly better places to stay in the D. The $250 plus a night they fetched for a concert night was ridiculous considering what are room didn’t have. An Uber ride to the north side of the Detroit suburbs would have been far cheaper. Will be filing a complaint with corporate.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
HIDetroitDowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2018

Your feedback is very important to us. We’re sorry to learn your accommodations were lacking in some important areas. We certainly understand your frustrations and want to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. Please know our staff is available around the clock to provide you with towels, toiletries, and other items you need during your stay. We’ve shared your concerns with our team and are currently reviewing procedures in these areas to ensure that we’re providing exceptional service at every turn. Soon we’ll be launching an extensive renovation of the property. We hope you’ll return for a visit that exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed July 31, 2018

I really wanted this to work out. I understand that Detroit is trying to make a comeback and I was rooting for this town. We had a room with a pull out sofa and a king size bed. The pull out was never made but the king bed was made daily-OK, no big deal. One day, I opened the cabinet under the TV and saw a dead roach but didn't say anything because I did not want my daughter to get spooked while she was needing to be on her game. On the last night, I asked for an extension to check out and said that my husband was a reward member. The person at the desk said under no circumstance they could allow that since they are at capacity. After we packed late at night and left the next morning, my daughter realized she may have left 2 athletic shorts there. I called and explained our experience to the person at the desk/manager and she said she needs to ask laundry folks and will get back to me. No one got back. I called back again, spoke with a gentleman, same thing, said he will definitely get back and have not heard since. Both said they will give rewards, which is not what I was looking for, but I think one of them gave some rewards which may go to a partial night stay somewhere.

• Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
HIDetroitDowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2018

We’re sorry to hear your recent visit fell short in some areas. Your concerns have been heard and will be addressed with our team. Your requests could certainly have been addressed more efficiently. Please follow up with us if you haven’t received any resolution regarding the items left in your room. We hope you’ll give us the chance to make it right on a future visit; we’re launching a complete hotel renovation later this year and we think you’ll love our new look. We appreciate your valuable feedback.