“Fantastic!”

Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night with a friend. We are from Canada and were in town for a concert and had never been to Detroit before. The hotel was clean and comfortable and in an amazing location. We were very close to everywhere we needed to be downtown. All of the staff that we dealt with at this hotel were absolutely wonderful. Everyone was friendly and helpful. One particular staff member went above and beyond to help us and his name was Will. He works for the shuttle service that the hotel offers (which by the way, is AWESOME). He was friendly, courteous, helpful, and really went out of his way to help us out. I don't know what they are paying him at this hotel but I do know that he deserves a raise. I would reccomend this hotel to any and all of my friends and family who are travelling to Detroit in the future. And when I return to Detroit I will most definitely be staying there again and I hope I have the good fortune of running into Will again! Thank you for a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank BaileyPeart
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Bailey,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that you found the location to be perfect for your visit. We were truly humbled by your gracious comments regarding our hotel service team. All of the staff takes great pride in knowing that their hard work and dedication is making a difference to our guests; I will be sure to recognize Will specifically for the positive impact he had on your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I stayed there for a weekend for a wedding. The staff was friendly as well as the valet. They were helpful on information about where to go as well as nice overall. Now, I did deal with one person that was a bit rude or gave the impression that we were not worth his time, but the rest of staff were pleasant. Security was good and the pool was nice, clean and had towels. Breakfast was slightly scarce, and there was no coffee all the time, but overall it was fine.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank blsoler

Blsoler,
Thank you for choosing us as your hotel during your last visit. We try to make everyone’s visit memorable by providing the best comfort, the friendliest service, and the best of amenities; and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. Thank you for your feedback about breakfast, we will look into the quality and service that we are offering in this area. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I stayed here for one night last week. Every employee was friendly, helpful and professional. The lobby is a bit small, but nicely maintained. My room was on the 6th floor and was very quiet. It was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast buffet was a bit sparse and there was not coffee in the lobby 24 hrs as advertised, but other than that, I had no complaints. While I didn't use the gym or the pool, I did look at both and they seemed well-maintained. All in all, a nice experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank 88Jacqui888

Jacqui,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We strive to provide the best possible service and guest experiences every day, and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

This is the worst Holiday Inn I've ever stayed in.
Rude front desk staff.
Dirty room.
Very noisy shower ... rattling pipes and almost no hot water.
Rude valet staff.
No coffee in lobby, coffee in all other Holiday Inns are available 24hrs a day ... not here, not even asking for some at the front desk.
Stay at the Westin across the street ... much better!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Razinski
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Razinski,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you to help us improve. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case we failed to meet that criteria. Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience did not meet our standards. Our staff takes great pride in the positive impact they have on your visit, and I regret that your experience did not reflect that. We will be using your feedback as a training opportunity and will look into the shower issues you mentioned. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back again.
313-253-4344

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I stayed for the weekend a couple of weeks ago while visiting the city. I was initially a bit unsure about the location since it was my first time in Detroit, and, frankly, I knew very little about the area as a whole.

The hotel is located downtown, and sure there are a fair number of closed businesses/empty buildings in the area, but during the days it's not an issue, and at night, I never felt unsafe in the few surrounding blocks; just be aware like you would in any major city. The hotel is literally across the street from the Westin so, for anyone worried, the area is not run down by any means. It's also just one block from the People Mover and the bus station. The People Mover will conveniently take you around parts of downtown, but the hotel also provides a free shuttle to anywhere within a 3-mile radius. Parking at $20 a day is pricy, but you can drop it/pick it up however many times a day you want. They have quite a bit of staff, so the wait time was usually minimal; though you can call them ahead before leaving your room and coming down. The drop off/pickup area in front is a bit small for the volume of cars they can get, so you can end up with cars being dropped off blocking you while picking up yours.

The lobby is a little small, but the check-in staff was friendly and efficient. They were also very helpful in letting us know about transport options and offering suggestions for eating out and answering other questions we had our first night while we got our bearings.

The furniture in the room seem a little dated, but were in good shape overall. Most important, the rooms and bed were clean and functional. The beds were comfortable and we slept well. My one complaint has to do with the bathtub plug which was a little weird I thought. I had to adjust it manually beforehand, otherwise it'll go by default into bath mode. Even then, it seemed to have issues draining out all the water so that after a while, you'd end up standing in a pool of water. Water pressure was good, despite being in one of the top floors.

Breakfast in the morning can get pretty crowded. They serve a good selection of the usual breakfast fare (eggs, bacon/sausage, bagels, toast, cereals, fruits, oatmeal, juices, coffees, etc.). Special props to Joyce and the other friendly kitchen staff for making sure the food options didn't completely run out despite the hungry crowds. We showed up one morning towards the end of the breakfast hours and so after the mass rush of breakfast eaters, and while they were starting to clean up and put away some of the food, she made sure to have some fresh and hot food available for us latecomers; and any day I can start with some bacon is always a good day! :)

So, overall, I was definitely pleasantly surprised by the hotel and would definitely recommend this place and I'll definitely keep the place in mind for next time I come back.

Room Tip: The pool is located on the top floor, the gym on the 2nd. It's a tall building, so higher floor...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

FB 2000,
Your fellow travelers find guest reviews very helpful, so thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We pride ourselves on impeccable service, and your feedback is an invaluable tool for us to continue improving. Please know that we will use your comments about the room furniture, bathtub, and breakfast to continue improving. We thank you for your candid feedback, and hope that you will choose to stay with us should you visit the area again.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

I was very impressed with this hotel. I was unable to book a hotel at my preferred hotel in Windsor as they were sold out. However, I was very pleased with this selection. The hotel is in excellent condition. The rooms are very nice and comfortable. They are also rather large for a downtown hotel. Would certainly visit this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

David,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. We strive to provide the best possible service and guest experiences every day, and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again.