“Detroit”

Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
michigan
“Detroit”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Came for an overnight stay due to a Dr.'s appt. for our young son. Even though the hotels decor are a little dated our whole experience was great. Everyone employee we deal with were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was very busy the night we stayed but we never heard anything from the halls or the rooms on either side of us. And to top off a great stay the desk staff discounted our rm. rate due to a little confusion upon check in (whick was not expected due to it not being a problem). All in all I will stay here anytime I go back. One perk we didn't get to take advantage of is this property is it is close to many thing to do (walking distance to Comerica Park and Ford field.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us when you were visiting downtown Detroit. We know you have a lot of newer options when you visit the area, but we feel our service is the best. Thank you for recognizing that in all of our employees. Please consider us your family in Downtown Detroit and we look forward to many return visits. Rachel, Assistant General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Forest City, Iowa
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed here on our return to Pittsburgh. Checked in around 830pm and the front desk clerk was named Miguel I think. Both my name and my wife's name were on the booking. I had just had major eye surgery and we not feeling well at all. Miguel asked for ID and my wife handed him her police ID. He then said rather rudely that he needed to see my ID. I then produced my ID. He showed us the room number on our key card and laid it down on the desk. He never said welcome, thanks or anything. He did not direct us to the location of the elevators. We were on the 17th floor. Entered the room and the carpet is very dated. A nice TV is provided and the beds were comfortable. I went into the bathroom and shut the door. When I was ready to leave the door would not open. It took my wife about 5 minutes to get the door open from the outside. I told them about this at check out and the lady said, "OK, we will have it fixed."

The breakfast the next morning was average. Checked out and again no one said thank you or come again. No one at this hotel at any point made us feel welcome or seemed to appreciate our business. We are going to be passing through Detroit in August and will be needing a hotel room for the night. I have already booked the Westin across the street. I am not saying this hotel is horrible but it does have a older type of smell in the hallways and the room. Personally your front desk clerk at check in lost my business for your hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Keith H
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for letting us know what happened during your stay. I do apologize that our staff did not treat you as a valued guest. It is absolutely unacceptable. Please give us another opportunity, in the future, to exceed your service expectations.

Travelers are raving about these Detroit hotels

Cincinnati, Oh.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed here last week when we came into town for a concert. Everything suited us just fine. Our room was very nice, staff was nice and helpful, breakfast was great. They do provide shuttle service to various locations around town. If that doesn't work out, there is a people mover station right around the corner. Overall, this was the perfect lodging option for us on this trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zip126
Thank you for staying with us while in town for your concert. We very much appreciate the great feedback that was provided for potential guests. We look forward to your next visit to our hotel and Downtown Detroit.
Wooster, Ohio, United States
Reviewed June 13, 2013

From our arrival to departure, this hotel provided us with outstanding, top-notch service. The valets, maid, breakfast person, and desk clerks were happy, cheerful and eager to make our stay a pleasant one. It would be very hard to beat the service provided at this hotel.
The rooms were great and the central location made it easy walking distance for everything we wanted to do.

Room Tip: It is easy walking distance to most events, but if you prefer, the hotel provides free shuttle to an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you so much for letting other guests know how much you enjoyed your stay with our staff. I appreciated that you mentioned each department! We can't wait to welcome you back for another visit.
Fullerton, California
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed here for DEMF/Movement Fest for 4 nights. Such a great stay! I stayed at the Westin across the street last year for DEMF, after seeing they were charging upwards of $380/night this year decided to book here, and have to say I was MUCH happier with my time at Holiday Inn. Sure the Westin has nice rooms, but you dont get the friendly staff and perks like the HIE.

Like most reviews before, the staff is super friendly from the moment you pull up to valet. Some of the negative reviews earlier are ridiculous... this is not a 5 star hotel, so don't expect it... but everything you get is quite satisfactory!
Free breakfast every morning, with a lot of options!
Free valet [obviously tip]
Very comfortable room with a mini-fridge and microwave [just wish the bathroom had a fan]

The only negative thing I experienced were issues with one particular front desk manager giving us a hard time going back to our room after the first night of the fest, even after we showed him our room key and insisted we were staying there. But this only happened one night, the rest of the weekend was smooth. Have to say I will most likely be booking here for the weekend next year!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you so much for letting potential guests know that this is the place to stay when visiting Downtown Detroit! We appreciate all the great things you had to say, even regarding the previous Tripadvisor comments. We look forward to you coming to the hotel every year for the festival.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The room was very tiny and the bathroom ceiling was about to cave in from the many patch works from trying to repair it. The air conditioner was an old fashion one that was sticking out of the window. The only way to park your car is through Valet and there is NO parking lot to park yourself.

I admit the people working there were SUPER nice and the breakfast is what I would expect for being free.

I would certainly go to another hotel and the Westin is across the street, which the hotel I would stay at next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KimK729
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed the service our staff provided. However, it does upset me to know that our facilities and amenities did not meet your expectations. We are an older property and we hope to be going through a renovation really soon. You are correct, with the Westin next door, we need to offer more of what you needed. Please do not count us out just yet, we hope you will reconsider based on your experience with or staff.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Based upon other TripAdvisor reviews, I went against better judgment and decided to stay downtown fairly close to Comerica Park for a ballgame. Little did I realize that an electronic pop festival was happening in the city and virtually all the guests were drunken 20 somethings puking everywhere in the hotel from the lobby to the elevators to the hallways. The hotel management tried everything they could to stop the issues with security but it was just not happening. I should have cancelled the reservation at check-in when the young lady working asked why I wished to stay here with all the crazies. They already had me for $182 for one night--that is right, very over priced. Oh, but the parking was included!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here...go to The Westin across the street. (I tried to put this in cap letters but Trip...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for commenting on your stay using this forum. I do apologize that the reservations agent did not go over downtown events with you when you booked. Technofest is an event that occurs every year over Memorial Day weekend. We do our best to accommodate all guests in the hotel, but, as you experienced, it is very difficult. Please try to stay with us any other time during the year and we will hopefully be able to exceed your service expectations.