“Overpriced and Outdated”

Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Overpriced and Outdated”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Based upon other TripAdvisor reviews, I went against better judgment and decided to stay downtown fairly close to Comerica Park for a ballgame. Little did I realize that an electronic pop festival was happening in the city and virtually all the guests were drunken 20 somethings puking everywhere in the hotel from the lobby to the elevators to the hallways. The hotel management tried everything they could to stop the issues with security but it was just not happening. I should have cancelled the reservation at check-in when the young lady working asked why I wished to stay here with all the crazies. They already had me for $182 for one night--that is right, very over priced. Oh, but the parking was included!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here...go to The Westin across the street. (I tried to put this in cap letters but Trip...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for commenting on your stay using this forum. I do apologize that the reservations agent did not go over downtown events with you when you booked. Technofest is an event that occurs every year over Memorial Day weekend. We do our best to accommodate all guests in the hotel, but, as you experienced, it is very difficult. Please try to stay with us any other time during the year and we will hopefully be able to exceed your service expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We visit the East side of the state a couple times a year. Usually we stay near the Henry Ford Village. And then travel downtown for anTigers game or Wings game. The problem with staying outside of downtown is the parking on game day. Actually any time there is an event down town the parking is horrible.
We decided to try and stay downtown instead.
After a quick google search we saw there was a holiday inn about 6 blocks from Comerica Park. When we arrived the valet greeted us.
Check in was easy! The staff was really friendly.
The room was clean and well maintained.
There is a pool on the top floor but we ran out of time to go swimming.

There is a bar/ restaurant attached to the hotel so getting a bite to eat before the game or after is easy.
We had planned on walking but when we checked in the front desk person told us that they or the bar have a shuttle.
With a small child the worked out better for us. I didn't end up carrying our 4 year old for the 6 blocks back.
Their is a breakfast in the morning, I would recommend going down early. As we were finishing our breakfast and planning to head out for the day to Henry Ford Village the breakfast area got really busy.

The staff was exceptional and even though the hotel is older you can't beat the price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for letting other potential guests know how much you and your family enjoyed our hotel and staff. Thank you for the detailed description of our amenities. We look forward to your future visits to Downtown Detroit.
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Nicole, the front desk staff was very accomandating. There was amazing surprise to make my special day feel better and better. Sadly, my wedding is in Lansing. If it was in Detroit, I would definately make my reservation all at this hotel. Not just Nicole that is awesome, at night coming back to the hotel, the FD manager *forgot his name* at 2AM, stated he has been working more than 12 hours; yet, he still put a smile on my girls, and there was Carolyn ( breakfast) staff that sure makes Sunday an bright and fill with wonderful colors. Thank you very much for such excellent service and amazing accommandation. You sure make this bride feel like a super star..Michelle

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for staying with us for your bachelorette party! It was our pleasure to take care of you and your girls while you were in downtown Detroit. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, and I hope you bring your new husband to visit us the next time you are in the downtown area.
Allendale, Michigan, United States
Reviewed May 16, 2013

First off, our room was crawling with bed bugs. Secondly, after checkout, we received a bill for $226 in unknown damages. After many, many calls to management (which were not taken seriously), we finally discovered that the damages we were forced to pay for included:

1. A broken mirror in the room across the hall (where none of our party stayed, nor was the room under our party's name or associated with us at all)
2. The number plate outside of our room that went missing while our party was not present

After many more phone calls, we got rid of the mirror charge, but they still claimed that we were responsible for the missing number plate. I consulted my lawyer, and he informed me because the plate was located outside of our hotel room in the hallway, which is a public space, we could not be held accountable for it.

More calls to management resulted only in blackmail- they told us to stop calling because they had "photographic evidence" and "video footage" of our party committing the crime of stealing the number plate (which wouldn't be possible, as we were either sleeping or away at a convention when the theft took place). During one phone call they even told us that because we were responsible for reporting that the plate had gone missing, and we didn't report it, that they were within their right to charge us for it.

Filing a complaint with corporate twice yielded no results. They simply took the hotel's word for it and never investigated into who actually stole the number plate, taking the easy route by stealing our money to pay for it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Rachel K
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
First, please do not try to tarnish the reputation of our hotel by making accusations regarding bed bugs. You have never mention that previous to this social media post, so it cannot be true. I would be more upset about that if it were the case because bed bugs can cost you a lot of money. Moving on, it is a fact that we have a person on our hallway surveillance pulling off the sign and walking into the room which your friend was registered to in our system. In the same video footage there are people going back and forth from your room to the people across the hall where the mirror was broken, which we adjusted off in good faith. Fact, we told you we had to cease all communications once you contact a lawyer, who we never heard from.

We provided a nice clean room for your stay and our staff did their very best to exceed your service expectations. Making false accusations regarding our good name, great service, and clean hotel is very unfortunate.

Travelers are raving about these Detroit hotels

Madison, Connecticut
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

For those looking for a nice location less than 20 minute walk from the Detroit Rennassance center this is the place. Nice clean room with queen or King size seems to be a lot of choice. Plenty of desk room for writing reports after the week long meetings at the Marriott Rennasance Center. Very Nice buffet breakfast and the 6:20 start up time suita my routine. Business center had all the printers and internet I needed. The impressive part of this venue was the staff. Everybody and I do mean everybody was ready, alert and asking to help to make sure your stay was the very best possible. Have a nice day, and welcome back were just the window dressing. Help with your bag, can I getthat for you, How's the coffee? All very nice without being intrusive. Shuttle driver (for going any where local but not to the airport, Gives me a card, "Call me when you are ready to come back and I'll come get you." Very Genuineand personal. Where to go,"Here let me show you on the map." Most of the time I walked to the convention, but on three occasions the shuttle was so quick I arrived 30Minutes early. The topper was the price. 135 for the Holliday Inn Vs the 285 at the Marriott. Sweet!

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you so much for letting the world know how much we appreciate and love to take care of our guests!!! I want to personally welcome you to the Holiday Inn Express Detroit Downtown family. We can't wait for your many returns!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel six times and I won't stay anwhere else in Detroit if I can help it. The hotel is clean, rooms have fridges, has a pool, well maintined gym and generous free breakfast bar. On top of that the staff make you feel like you are at home. My girlfirend had a rough night with her gallbladder and the hotel game us a late check out of 3Hrs!!! at no charge!! Unheard of. It is worth every penny and walking distance from everything you want to do in Detroit. Stay at this place!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JChameleon
Thank you, thank you, thank you, this is what we strive for with each of our guests!!! I am so happy that you let other guests know that you are a part of our family and always will be. Even when we make mistakes, which can always happen, you are loyal to your family. We can't wait to welcome you back to downtown and I look forward to chatting with you again! Sincerely, Rachel, Assistant General Manager
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Good Location and service,
usually I have found Holiday Inn situated in any corner of the city, but here in Detroit it was close to the River, metro, Museum etc. Service is fine, but their cab service is so good. Breakfast is good, and rooms are big enough. Pool in the top most floor has good views.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for using Tripadvisor to let potential guests know what a great place our hotel is. We look forward to welcoming you back to change your opinion of our service from fine to phenominal!!!