“Unexpected suprise”

Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Wixom, Michigan
“Unexpected suprise”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We booked this hotel so we can spend the night after the Jimmy Buffett concert. We tried other hotels first, but they were all booked. Was not sure what to expect, but we were treated like we were at a 5 star hotel. Friendly front desk, check was a breeze. They went out of there way to make sure we all rooms ( 3 couples) were together. Rooms were very clean and plenty of space. It is also a short walk to Comerica Park and Ford Field. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JenLovesToVacation
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us while you were downtown. I am glad my staff and I were able to make such a great impression during your stay. Please call us first the next time you come to the downtown area, you are now a part of our Holiday Inn Express family! Rachel Murdoch, Front Office Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
E. Lansing
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Walk to the Detroit Tiger games, or as we did, to the Labor Day weekend International Jazz Festival by the Detroit River (last free festival in the nation, with the best jazz players!).
Staff very helpful and friendly. Even when full, the staff helped us to switch rooms, and the food at the breakfast buffet (fabulous buffet) was replenished constantly.
Tip: even-numbered rooms may be facing Michigan Ave., and the motorcycle noise kept me awake until about 2 am. We moved to an Interior, odd-numbered room, and it was quiet.
Hotel has a shuttle service to take people to Comerica Park for the Tigers games, or anywhere within 3 miles. Unfortunately, the shuttle ends at 10 pm so could not help us at 11 pm,
Hotel rooms are very clean, beds great, microwave & refrigerator & coffee maker in room.
A great affordable choice for us, since the Ren Cen Marriott is closer to Hart Plaza, but is more
expensive and offers no breakfast.

Room Tip: Get an interior, odd-numbered room so the noise from Michigan Ave. will not bother your sleep. It...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beth C
We appreciate all the great feedback that you have given to potential guests. It was my pleasure to help you with your room switch and to make certain that you were comfortable while you were staying with us. Please join us again in the future! Rachel Murdoch, Front Office Manager.
Aurora, Illinois, USA
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We visited Detroit this past week for our annual Tigers/Sox outing. I knew from trying to book rooms at various hotels that this weekend was going to be pack as there was a lot going on. Luckily I was able to get 2 rooms here at the last minute. The lobby was packed, but the lines moved quickly. Check out was easy as well. And as for as many people that were booked at this hotel, the noise level was slim to none. It's also situated near the people mover so getting to the park was easy, and I think we cabbed it back for under $20. And that;'s only because we made a pit stop.

The only negative part of this trip was that upon arriving at our rooms, one of the rooms hadn't been cleaned yet by housekeeping. I alerted this to the attention of the manager and without saying anything she comped the room at a special rate and gave us another room. So their customer service and resolving problems definitely 5 stars.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The room that our friends stayed in had a nice view of the Westin and the streetview, whereas our ha...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MrsAndrade
Thank you so much for letting other guests know how much you enjoyed our hotel. I want to take this opportunity to apologize again for the check in situation. Please come and stay with us again the next time you are time town.
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed August 26, 2012

In town for family vacation to see different MLB ballparks. My family of 3 stayed mid-week for a Tigers game. This hotel is right downtown and within easy walking distance. The hotel staff was very pleasant and accomodating assisting with luggage, parking and directions to our next destination. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The rooms are a little smaller then some of the newer hotels but I attribute that to a building in a big city. The breakfast was average - nothing special but just fine. Be aware that Detroit is a shell of a city. Very depressed area. Walk with a partner.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for staying with us while you were downtown Detroit. We appreciate all the great feedback you passed on to potential guests. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Marquette, Michigan
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Aug 17. I was in town with a group from Upper Michigan for the weekend Tigers series. I found that the staff in the hotel is most helpful, accommodating and friendly. They do go the extra mile for sure. The 14th floor room was nice, with a great view down Michigan Ave. Plenty to do within a few minutes walking distance. I recommend a nice morning walk over the Compuware Bldg, pick up a cup of coffee and some Tim Bits at Tim Horton's and enjoy it in the Campus Martius Park by the fountains! Or a late night visit to Lafayette Coney Island, just a block away! The rooms were clean and well maintained. One minor negative, opening the door to room 1422 was difficult, had to give it a shoulder. And the bar was OK, but would have been much more pleasant if any of the young ladies working the bar had bothered to smile. The mannequin look just isn't all that inspiring. But those are minor things and there were plenty of good places to eat, drink and be merry nearby. Overall I give it a high mark. Nice place, great location, People Mover a block away, Ballpark, GreekTown, Ford Field, Joe Louis Arena all within about a 15 minute walk. Also very reasonably priced for the weekend with the Tigers at home and the Kenny Chesney/Tim McGraw concert at Ford Field.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
We really appreciate you going on Tripadvisor to let potential guests know that this is the place to stay. Thank you for giving an area description as well. We look forward to welcoming you back, possibly next year for Kenny Chesney!
east coast
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Liked:
-walking distance to Tiger Stadium (they also said they had free shuttle, but we didn't see it)
-across the street from a much nicer hotel (which the visiting team stayed at- so very convenient if you are looking to get autographs (ie. Yankees)
-free breakfast (always a plus)
-a block away from the Coney Island hotdog restaurant that everyone said we should try (not very good)
-friendly valet staff

Disliked:
-they do not let spouse check in, if it's not under your name. So it was a hassle, since I normally check in, while my husband stays in the car with the kids first
-valet parking (and fee)
-bunch of one-ways around the hotel, so lots of circling back

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to mention us on Tripadvisor. I want to apologize for the check in hassle that you had at check in. Normally, if a reservation is paid for in advance, we only let the reserved guest check in. I am assuming that was the situation the you encountered. Please note that if it was not paid for everything would have gone flawlessly. I will also let our valet manager know that his staff was friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I chose this hotel because I was working at the convention center, which is 4 blocks away. The location was perfect for me.

I was happy to see that there is a Starbucks across the street now, and a convenience store two blocks away.

My room was newly renovated, spacious and comfortable. It had an electric range top stove, a dishwasher, large refrigerator and some knifes, forks, spoons, pots and pans, et cetera. The "human size" coffee maker was great. My room had a 42" flat screen TV with a standard cable package.

There's an indoor pool and small fitness facility, as well as a washer and dryer. There is a restaurant connected to the hotel called Big City Bar and Restaurant, with pretty good food.

The staff was terrific and helpful with everything I needed, especially Miss Sheron and Mr. Steve from the front desk.

I will recommend this hotel for anyone needing to be in the downtown area of Detroit, and I will stay there again whenever business brings me to the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to fully describe your stay. Potential guests love to read the detail that you put into your description. I especially want to thank you for mentioning people by name. I will personally recognize Sherron and Steve for the hardwork they put in. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.