“Very helpful, even to a non-guest”

Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Michigan
“Very helpful, even to a non-guest”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I'm the sister mentioned below by one of the reviewers. I was running later than I'd expected to meet her for a Tigers game, and didn't check carefully enough on the closing time of the nearby garage where I parked. When I got back there to get my car and discovered it was closed for the night - well, you can imagine how I felt. We (my sister and I) walked back to her hotel to ask if they knew what time the garage opened in the morning. I was tremendously relieved when I learned that they had access to that garage (apparently they have an arrangement to use it for some of their valet parking needs), and were able to help me get my car out so I could go home. Kyle (the parking attendant who helped me out) was so incredibly nice too, I actually felt a little better and slightly less stupid about the whole thing.

So I can't rate the rooms, or the breakfast, or anything like that, but I can tell you that the staff is incredibly nice and helpful. If I was coming into Detroit for more than a day trip I would stay there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank OlderGradStudent
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
I am so glad my valet staff was able to assist you with this unfortunate situation. Please do not hesitate to come back and enjoy our "at home" service that we offer. We cannot wait to have you as our guest!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Saint Joseph, Michigan
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We arrived for the Tigers Indians game and to our surprise the Deck Personnel(Sherron) helping us with our room and luggage went above and beyond our expectations. While waiting for our room key, we were handed a coupon for free pizza and beers in the Big City Grille located off the lobby of the Holiday Inn Express. What a great surprise. The valet service (Mike) helped load and unload our luggage.
Thank you and cannot wait to return for another truly pleasant and enjoyable trip.

MF

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed our staff via Tripadvisor. We do our best to make sure every guest knows we care, even in those difficult times. I will let Sherron know that you remember her and her outstanding service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
michigan
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Everyone working at this hotel was very friendly and so happy to help make our stay enjoyable. The hotel was very busy, but the ladies at the frount desk took care of everyone quickly and efficiently. Moe, Jo and Mike took care of parking our car and getting it for us at the end of our stay. They were so helpful with directions around the city. We will definatly stay here again next time we are in Detroit!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for staying with us while in downtown Detroit. With so many other options in the market, we value each guest that comes to our home. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express the weekend of August 4th for the Tigers/Cleveland Indians series. The rooms were very nice with everything in working order and good TV. The hotel was very busy the weekend several large groups but the hotel staff did a very nice job handling the large groups and always had a can do attitude. We were appreciative in recieving the room upon our noon arrival as we had an early flight into Detroit Metro that morning.

Look forward to staying here again in January for the auto show.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for letting other potential guests know how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad we are your home away from home in Detroit. We look forward to welcoming you back in January.
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The hotel staff was friendly and it was a clean nice room. I would advise that you ask when booking if there will be a large party or event happening at the same time you will be staying. There were two family reunions and the elevators at this location do not accomodate a large amount of people. The elevators are VERY slow. So after waiting 25 minutes for one we decided to walk up 15 flights of stairs after walking back from Comerica Park in 95 degree weather. Plus the next morning breakfast is difficult when the large party comes down and basically takes over the "buffet". We requested a small item twice from housekeeping and never received it...probably due to the amount of people at the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for commenting about our property on Tripadvisor. We know that we can get crowded on big weekends and we appreciate you letting us know what we can improve upon to make your stay better. Please give us another chance to exceed your expectations.
Midland, Michigan, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stay here when I go to Tiger games because of the convenience. I can just park my car, walk to Comerica Park in about 10 minutes, then walk back after the game to have a fresh start in the morning. The breakfast was excellent and had a lot of variety. The staff was very friendly and nice, and extremely helpful when my sister who was visiting parked her car in a garage nearby that closed earlier than she thought. They were able to find keys to the garage and get her out so she could get home. The room was comfortable and clean, and the valet parking was not exorbitant (only $20 a night, and many hotels charge at least $30 a night, so no reason to grumble). Easy access to I-75 by driving right down Michigan Avenue and taking a few turns around the ballpark to get home, too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for letting potential guests know that this is the place to stay when visiting downtown. I am so glad my staff and I were able to take such good care of you while away from home. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Spring Lake, Michigan
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Went to Comerica Park on July 4 for a Tiger game. This hotel was a nice stay for our family. We booked the wetbar suite and had plenty of room. Two double beds and a pull out couch with a ton of space (except the bathroom). The hotel staff was fast and efficient. I know that people hate the valet parking, but this is a downtown hotel and $18 dollars a day is WAY cheaper that alot of other downtown hotels. We didn't use the pool or get breakfast so I don't have an opinion on them. The city of Detroit seems to be trying to get it act together, but there are still some very problematic areas that we walked past on our way to the ballpark. Boarded up buildings, graffitti, homeless people are still a big problem. We personally had no problems, but if you are worried about it, the people mover is just a couple blocks away. We would definitely stay here again.
Great location and convienient to everything.

Room Tip: The suites are huge - I would definitely pay extra for them. Especially for a family.