“Great Value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Vermilionite
“Great Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2008

What a great value! This was our first visit to Detroit (My husband and myself) to do alittle gambling. Did much hotel shopping online and landed here! People mover is a great asset. Took us right to the entrance of Greektown. MGM was only 4 blocks away. Valet parking quick and efficient. We had a king room. Nice and clean. The other post was correct, lots of noise about 2:30am in the streets and we were next to the elevators and could hear them humming all night long. The breakfast was awesome! Nice hot food and the lady working the breakfast bar was very accomodating. For under $100 we will definately stay here again!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Valet only parking - no self parking
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vermilionite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Bliss, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2007

I found the staff to be very polite the rooms were perfectly fine. the bar in the hotel was wonderful it is called big city. we went to the red wings game on wed. and the lions game on thur. we took the free shuttle to both games our stay in detroit was an absolute fantastic time i will definetly use this hotel for future stays it is close to everything. it tool about 5 min. to get to any of the sports arenas. loved it.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
Watertown Ct
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2007

We stayed at Holiday Inn Express for one night. It was in a good location. We walked to Hard Rock during the day otherwise do not venture out on footl The hotel was very clean and felt very safe. A little noisy out the window but you are in the heart of the city and construction. It was easy to find, Valet parking was good and quick. The breakfast was good and the area was very clean. They had coffee and tea 24 hours which was nice. It was about 3 blocks from MGM and a whole lot cheaper. I would recommend this hotel. The only complaint I had was the shower. Not much hot water left . One tip-join the priority club and they will upgrade your room and leave cookies for you.

• Liked — Big room and central location
  • Disliked — The Shower
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2007

This is the second time I have stayed here. The first time was New Years Eve 07' which was absolutely fine. This time we took our son on a "family trip" to see a Tigers game. Check in was smooth & easy, staff was very polite. Room was clean and everything worked. We took the people mover which was right around the corner. We felt comfortable & safe using it before & after the game. To be honest, we were a little concerned with using it at night having our son w/us but it was fine!!! I did get the room on Hotwire which saved us about 50%!! The last time I didnt do that and paid more, but that's ok. Continental breakfast was fine & enough choices to make all of us happy. We will definitely stay here again when in Detroit.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Michigangal
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2007

All I can say is COOL!! The valet staff was quick and gave me great directions to see the Tigers and get something to eat. The Front Desk upgraded us to a really nice suite! The rooms were spacious, very clean, and very cool!! Our cell phone died, but no worries, the Front Desk clerk offered his to use! The breakfast girl made a special trip to get me oranges and the housekeepers were so friendly. I was so happy about the stay, that I told a few friends at the Marriott. They ended swiching hotels, saving them $50 per night! We had a great location and the staff were locals that gave us great ideas. I'd stay again and tell everyone else! The HI Express Detroit is awesome!

• Liked — Everything! Cool place in the D!!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Misscool
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2007

Was staying here on business. Staff is nice if inexperienced, but the rooms are so terrible. Tiny, no closet doors, very low ceilings, tiny bathroom. It's the kind of place that has big metal plates on the door jambs so no one can kick the door in. Add elevators that do not work, fire alarms, hookers and drug traffickers as neighbors, and you get the story. The Courtyard is basic, but far better than this place. Never ever again.

• Stayed July 2007
1 Thank AlohaKavika

Travelers are raving about these Detroit hotels

michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2007

My good friend and I had two rooms booked for us on a Friday as a gift to me from my boyfriend who lives in Detroit and who wanted to spend some time with me, as I live a good four hours away.

My friend who drove me to Detroit happens to be a gay man who had volunteered as a favor to take me to visit my boyfriend, who had booked us each a separate room on separate floors.

Both of our rooms had nice views of the city and were typical, Holiday Inn standard clean. The beds were comfortable; the bathrooms sparkling and neither of us had any complaints really with the condition of the rooms themselves whatsoever.

HOWEVER!

We ultimately found at least one of the front desk staff to be rude and seemingly manipulative. My boyfriend was unable to spend much time with me Friday night, so my gay friend and I decided to "go out on the town" and explore downtown Detroit. Before we ventured out, my friend came down from his room to ask the front desk clerk for a recommedation about where we should go for a good club scene, and the clerk advised that we go to a club called "The Woodward". My friend DID NOT ask for a good "GAY" club...just a "club" in general, as in dance scene/bar scene/hip-hop/happenin' fun scene kinda club.

At any rate, a $15 cab ride later, we found ourselves being dropped off in a back alley off Woodward Avenue...which we were informed (by our snickering cab driver) was the entrance to a bar called "The Woodward." He dropped us off, wished us "good luck" and sped off, leaving us his cellphone number should we need him to come pick us up later.

So we went tentatively inside, only upon entering, it was quickly evident that this club was a very gay bar, which naturally on a Friday night was occupied by what was easily more than 100 very flamboyantly gay men and women...and they were all black gay men and women. We are not racist or prejudiced in any way, but let's just say that we were the only two caucasians in the place and we stuck out like a sore thumb to say the VERY least!!. Of course we so out of place that we were not only eyed mighty suspiciously, but laughed at by what was clearly the regular crowd (I was wearing a little black dress and PEARLS for god's sake...can you blame them??!!) One man even came up and accused us of being "narcs" and told us we'd better get our "white [--]" out of there!

We refused to be threatened, however, and resolved to stay for a couple drinks at least, and the bar staff and a few of the bar patrons were politely welcoming and friendly to us, but eventually we took flight upon hearing that someone reportedly had a gun in the parking lot...the police were called...and the cabbie who'd given us his cellphone number wasn't answering his phone! We somehow managed to find another cab who arrived promptly and we both got back to the Holiday Inn Express in one piece.

But once we were safely back in our rooms, we couldn't help but think that the front desk clerk who had sent us to "The Woodward" in the first place had done so maliciously-not just as "a misunderstanding", but as some sort of warped jand cruel joke. Like I said, my gay friend had asked her about what "good club" we should go to, not what good "gay club". I am not gay myself, but my friend's looks and demeanour clearly allude that he is, so we couldn't help but assume we'd been "punk'd" by the front desk staffer. So when it comes to the Downtown Detroit Holiday Inn Express, our clear and simple advice to you is this: If you're gay, then DON'T STAY!!

Also, the next morning we wanted to take a quick swim but when we went down to the pool, we found it was not open at the time its sign said it would be. We called down to the front desk and were told "someone" would be there to unlock the pool for us. Thinking that "someone" would be coming at once, we hung around for 15 minutes or so, but no one arrived. At that point, we gave up and went back to our respective rooms and returned a half hour (total: 45 mins after our initial call!) later to find that "someone" just then exiting the elevator and walking ahead of us to open the pool!!

Adding insult to injury, once we got into the pool, it was FREEEEEEEZING!! It was so bad, we never even got our heads wet and were unable to swim even one lap. If this is your idea of a "heated pool", folks, then you need a real wake-up call (maybe like having your staff dive into the pool themselves!!) So that was yet another disappointment about our stay..

Also, there was no newspaper available that Saturday morning and when I asked the front desk clerks about it, they rolled their eyes at each other and treated me like I was totally out of my mind to expect such a thing on a weekend. (As if most hotels don't have complimentary newspapers available or at least a machine to direct you to!!) The continental breakfast broke all records in the free world (and most in the third world, I think...) for being horrible, consisting mostly of stale muffins and rolls; acidic , watery frozen juice and watered down generic coffee.

While the rooms themselves were just fine, what a pathetic overall experience it was! Making it all the worse (and worth writing at such length!!) was how it was sooooooo overpriced for what we got. I felt badly that my boyfriend had paid so much ($155+ per room) for such lousy service and amenities (although I've gotta say, I tried very hard to make it worth it for him!!).

In closing, allow me to reiterate our earlier advice about the Holiday Inn Express in downtown Detroit, boys and girls:

"If you're gay, DON'T STAY!!"

• Liked — clean rooms, nice views of the city, centrally located downtown
  • Disliked — Rude, disinterested staffers, FREEZING pool, dreadful continental breakfast
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple