“A Blast from the Past”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Enjoyed a super dinner with friends at this Detroit landmark restaurant. Great food, good wine list and excellent service (Jerry Lewis was our waiter). We just hope the get enough business to stay in business. On a Tuesday night, the place was almost empty.

1  Thank Larry W

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Our experience started with the reservation process. We talked about the entertainment, and it was explained that a jazzy trio was playing. Since we wanted a nice dinner with entertainment, they reserved a very nice table with a perfect view of the small stage. Since we made it clear that we intended to make an evening out of it, our waiter told us that the table was ours for the evening.The entertainment was just right volume level and the food was wonderful. I had the strip which was a nice prime cut and my companion had a filet that he said was "like cake" it was so tender. I treated myself to a fine glass of wine, I think the waiter said it was a 30 year old Mondavi. Well the bouquet was like enjoying a fine cognac, and after giving it time to settle, the taste was wonderfully rich and earthy. Wine is very much a personal thing, and this was about as good as it gets for me. If there was any downside, the dinner was a little pricey, but I have to say, part of that was our own doing since we had martini's, that glass of wine, appetizers, salads, sides, and after dinner drinks. Our waiter took very good care of us so it was just about a perfect evening!

1  Thank BobLDallas_TX
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I went to LCH after the Detroit Auto Show there were 10 of us. The service was great and the food was outstanding. I had the strip steak and it was cooked perfect just as ordered. The atmosphere is very nice with dark wood everywhere. I could see this place in its day where all the big Detroit deals were made. There was also a three piece jazz/blues band playing - at the perfect volume. A great place with prices similar to Ruth Chris.

2  Thank John_Paul02904
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Used to love the old London Chop House and this one looks very much like the clubby, wood paneled place of old. There are a few of the old menu items and some (much needed) updates. We were there very early on a Friday evening in late December and the night started off well. Door man and valet were gracious and smiling. The hostess took our coats and was very pleasant. Our waiter, Jerry, was professional and attentive. I ordered a glass of decent Pinot Noir and the beet/goat cheese salad. The salad was excellent. I would eat that as an entree next time. Hubby had the soup... chowder I think... and enjoyed it. Things went slightly downhill after that. My salmon was okay but not special. Hubby's perch dish was quite good. We both ordered dessert. Bread pudding was amazing and the old standard The Snowball was a huge disappointment. It's vanilla ice cream with a chocolate ganache and coconut. There was no chocolate! We tried to catch Jerry's eye but he had his back to us, leaning against a station and talking to other employees. He never asked about coffee or an after dinner drink. So what could have been 5 stars dropped to three... minus one star for having TV's on! Hate TV's in a nice restaurant... and minus one for an incorrect dessert and sloppy end-of-dinner-service. Dinner for two with one glass of wine came to about $120. We tried Joe Muer's last month and would recommend that over the London Chop House.

2  Thank setter3
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The history of this location is still present as you descend the stairs to the London Chop House. Many of the details relaim in place, but the menu is up-to-date with some classics. The prices are surprisingly reasonable for lunch, but the dinner menu harkens back to the a la carte charges. However, the food is well worth it. The steaks are well aged and well prepared - whether medium rare or medium well. The wine list is extensive, but not intimidating, and the waitstaff is knowledgeable, experienced and appropriate when offering a suggestion. Definitely worth a return.