“Mixed Bag”

Max & Erma's Airport Location
Ranked #354 of 1,134 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: American
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I ate dinner here prior to a flight. Since I had a lot of time before my flight, I wanted to eat where I could sit and enjoy the meal. I have eaten at several Max and Erma's restaurants outside the airport setting, and I generally like their food. In this case, I ordered a simple Greek salad with chicken. I saw all the wait staff hustling except my waitress. She simply took my order and disappeared. Thankfully, the bartender left his area and came over to my table to find out what I had ordered. Other diners had arrived after me, were served their meals, and were finishing before my meal came. How long does it take to make a salad. The waitress simply did not stay out in the dining room other than the brief time she took my order. I had to track her down just to get the check.

The preceding was the negative. It was not all bad. I have eaten at this restaurant several times previously, and it is usually much better. Here is the positive. The food was good. The atmosphere was good (as airport restaurants go). They had college football games on TV, and people were talking, laughing, and generally having a good time. The other wait staff were friendly to their customers and to me. I fly frequently through this airport, and I will likely eat here again.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stopped at Max & Erma's DTW airport (in-terminal) location on a layover. The food was tasty, and priced reasonably. But the servers were all young females who were clueless about service. The teen called me "hon" at least ten times, and mostly scowled in my presence. Totally disingenuous. I had to repeatedly request water so I could take my medicine (and I was very polite and pleasant). The only busboy (a male) was very hard-working and very polite, so I was not surprised when a neighboring table called him over and tipped HIM heavily, which he tried to refuse, but they insisted that it was for HIM. Then they left one dollar on the table for the brusque waitress. After they left, I overheard my waitress badmouthing those customers to a coworker. Sorry, "hon" but you and your girlfriends need to find a new line of work, because this ain't for you. And Max & Erma's needs to find better waitstaff.

Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for a lunch since I had time waiting for a flight. The price was high as expected in an airport. The staff was very friendly and efficient. The shrimp salad I had was ample and good. The shrimp was surprisingly good. In all I was satisfied with the meal especially compared to the fast food options.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We have dined at this restaurant twice. I always order the simple meal of a grilled cheese sandwich and their tomato basil soup. I love both and am always happy with the result. My DH always gets their burger and also has had good luck both times. Service was a bit spotty, but they sure did bring all the napkins, when we asked! We are getting ready to visit again in a few days, so I hope it is as good as it has been for us in the past.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Only after I had sat down did I remember that I had eaten here before. On that occasion they brought the main course while I was still ploughing through a large starter. So when I ordered I specifically asked if I could have my starter ahead of the main........ and guess what - they ignored me and did the same again. As a result the fries were cold by the time I got around to eating them. My burger was OK, but the bun was toasted to the texture of cardboard. The place was nearly empty so I really don't know why they rush people so much. The only good part of the service is that they do notice when your glass is nearly empty. Perhaps they are on commission for drink sales. Avoid it.